Chapter 40

Luke and I exchange awkward eye contact; I feel my cheeks burning and my mouth is in a permanent smile.

"Sorry, that was really cheesy." He mumbles while swatting an ant off his black Vans; I shake my head.

"No, no it was really sweet." I struggle with my voice; Luke's eyes flash to me, and again I see his perfect full smile; I could get used to that smile.

"Alright enough of this- whatever this is." He snaps getting back to his normal self; I frown childishly, he rolls his eyes at me.

"So are you going to go tonight?" I ask trying to ignore my swollen chest from his attitude towards me.

"Uh, I don't know." He shrugs while staring hard at me; I flinch from his gaze.

"I know I'll be upsetting a lot of people if I don't." He continues; I understand Luke isn't the easiest person to get along with but he does seen to have a lot of friends considering.

I wrinkle my eye brows; and rest my head on my arms.

"So I take it you don't want to go?" I ask timidly; trying not to set him off with all my questions.

"Nah; it's not really my thing." He mumbles this tugging at his black t-shirt sleeve; revealing more of this tattoos.

I try to take in what he's said and try not to stare at him as he moves his arm around in his t-shirt.

"If it's not your thing then why do you throw them nearly every night?" He bites his lip and wiggles his eye brow ring.

"Here we go again with the million and one questions." He barks; my stomach turns from his tone after him being so sweet.

I shift uncomfortably on the grass.

"Sorry." I mumble and look the other way; I feel his eyes on me but I push myself not to look at him, he sighs and intertwines his fingers.

“You wanna get out of here?” He asks while wrinkling his forehead; one of the sexiest things he does, aside from him taking his lip ringer under his teeth.

I shake my head trying to shake my thoughts of him being “sexy.”

“It's up to you.” I mumble; he lets out a quiet grunt.

“It's nearly 6 so we should get going.” He says while getting up; I follow his lead and begin to wipe my backside, I feel like eyes follow my hand and I glare at him.

“Uh sorry.” He chocks while looking the other way; putting his hand behind his neck.

I hear him laugh from embarrassment; he looks back my way and his cheeks are flaming. I giggle a little.

“What are you laughing at?” He snaps; I shake my head as we begin to walk back to his car.

“Nothing.” I whisper trying to hide my smile.

He looks over to me and begins to walk slower.

“Why are you trying to hide it?” His tone is serious; I am beyond confused.

“Trying to hide what?” I squeal; he lifts one of his eye brows.

“You're smile; you-you don't need to hide it.” He stutters on his words; I feel my chest swell and my pulse quicken.

Within seconds I see the car; Luke stops.

“What's wrong?” I ask timidly hoping something did not set him off; he slowly turns to me; his eyes to the ground.

“Uh, there's something I've wanted to do this whole time.” He nearly stutters trying to get the words out so quickly.

I feel my whole body tense; I stumble back heels and Luke rushes over to me and puts his hand on my lower back to steady me, I jump from his quick movements and my skin burns from his touch.