Chapter 32

I collect myself before going to walk in the house.

“Adam stay off the road okay?” I call to him and he nods.

As soon as I walk into the house a wave of regret washes over my body. I absolutely hate fighting with Luke but he makes it really hard not to; he gets really defensive over every little thing. My thoughts are disturbed by my phone ringing.

I check the number; Ashton? Why is Ashton calling me, I haven't talked to him since Thursday but it's only Friday; I stop stalling and answer it.

“Hello?” I ask confused.

I don't hear anything on the other line; maybe he butt dialled me? I consider hanging up; but his conversation catches my ear.

“I'm just worried about her.” Ashton mumbles.

I try to analyze what he's talking about; I doubt it's about me. I almost hang up before.

“But Ash, Abbey is her own person, I think she would know if she was in trouble.” A familiar voice says; it's Calum.

“But she doesn't know him, she doesn't know what's happened to him and what he's capable of!” Ashton snaps; I hate hearing Ashton angry it's one of my least favourite things in the world.

My heart begins to race; is he talking about Luke? My knees weaken and I fall to the ground.

“Hello?” Ashton calls into the phone; I could hang up and pretend nothing happened but I need to know if he's talking about Luke, and what happened to him that has made him so bad.

“Hey Ash, you called me?” I ask while rubbing my backside from falling on the hardwood floor.

“Uh yeah, I guess I did.” He laughs uncomfortably.

“Well it seems you didn't need me to I'll go now.” I quickly say, almost stuttering.

“Oh, no no, I actually wanted to see if you were free today.” He mumbles through the phone.

I really have to study and with how my morning went I don't really want to hang out with anyone today. But maybe I could get some answers from him.

“Yeah, I'm free. Did you want to do something?” I ask while getting up off the floor.

“I'm with Calum, but we were going to go surfing at noon.” I can see his smile in my mind.

“And you think I can surf?” I sarcasticly say into the phone; I hear him laugh on the other end.

“Well we could always teach you.” He mumbles.

“Yeah I guess so.”

“Okay, so we'll be by your house in about 20 minutes?” I look down at my phone, it's already 11:30, it was 8 last time I checked.

“Um yeah sure, I need to find my mom though, I can't leave Adam home alone.” I say while walking over to the stack of papers on the table; maybe they can help me find where mom is.

“Oh okay, well it's no rush, text me when she's home and we'll come and get you.” He says; tone very cheery.

I smile even though he can't see me; we exchange goodbye's and hang up. As soon as I get off the phone with Ashton; I call my mother. It rings about 4 times before she answers.

“Hey mom, where are you?” I ask while peeking outside to make sure Adam's okay.

“I'm at the grocery store, sorry I left before you woke up, but we were in serious need of food.” I can hear people in the background and carts being pushed, but surly she wasn't at the grocery store for 3 and a half hours; but I don't want to fight with her.