Chapter 24

I sit with my back against the door for a moment and hear Melissa’s high pitch voice call Luke’s name. He doesn’t answer the first time, so she calls again louder, and he mumbles a quiet hey.

I really don’t want to be ease dropping, so I peal myself off of the floor and walk into the kitchen. I feel like I’m going to pass out if I don’t eat something.

I find some fruit in the fridge and veggie hot pockets. I eat everything before my mother’s gets home.

“Hey Abbey!” Adam yells while running into the kitchen; wow he’s happy to see me.

“Hey Adam, why are you so happy?” I ask; and instantly regret it as mom glares at me.

“Your little criminal of a friend told Adam he’d give him is old skateboard.” Mom answers before Adam can.

I feel my insides cringe and anger runs through my veins for the 100th time today. I don’t like Luke being so talkative and nice to Adam, I know I should be happy for Adam but I know how Luke is and I definitely do not trust him with my little brother.

“Um, why would he do that?” I choke on my words.

Mother glares at me again. I quickly change my words.

“I mean great, now you can practice.” I try to sound happy for Adam, but I’m not. I’m morally pissed off at Luke for even talking to him in the first place. He has no right.

I awkwardly get up from the table and put my dishes in the sink.

“Abigail, I thought you were going to eat with us?” Mother wines while pointing at a frozen veggie burger.

I shake my head.

“I have studying to do, sorry.” I fake apologise, I wouldn’t sit down at a table with my mother if you paid me. She would nick and pick at everything I did or didn’t do and just find anything to argue about.

I leave the kitchen and I’m happy no one follows me; I walk upstairs to my room and check my phone. I have 2 texts; one from Ashton and one from Blake.

The text from Ashton reads.

*Sorry about losing my cool today. I just feel like it’s my fault for leading you to the store in the first place, if I hadn’t brought you there, you would have never met him, and this would have never happened.*

The text ends awkwardly, like he still has something to say, but he hasn’t sent anything else. I want to throw Luke off a bridge for the amount of pain he’s caused Ashton, not just because of me, but for all the years before.

I text him back.

*Ashton please don’t think this is your fault, I mean his girlfriend lives across the street from me. I would have met him eventually. Please don’t put this on yourself.*

I hate the way my body feels when I think about Luke. I get tingles and electricity threw my body, but I also fill up in an unimaginable amount of anger.

I am thankful I have Blake’s text to get my mind off of Luke.

*Hey Abbey, CALL ME I MISS YOU!*

The anger in my body washes away when I think about Blake, and it is replaced with pain. The pain of missing my old life, my old friends, my old ever thing.

 I again have no clue what time it is in Boston, but I’ve already dialed Blake’s number. He answers on the first ring.

“Abbey?” He asks in a low raspy voice; just like the last time we talked.

My heart sinks from his familiar voice, if he only knew how much I miss him.

“Sorry have I woken you again?” I ask as quietly as I can.