Chapter XI

I try to avoid my mother as much as possible; I don’t need to be yelled at for being gone all evening and not telling her where I was. I run up to my room and check my phone; there’s a text from Blake.

*Hey Abbey, don’t worry about it, call me when you can. I hope you’re enjoying it there xo.*

My heart completely shatters and I’m furious about leaving him again. I don’t know what time is it in Boston but I have to call him now. The phone rings twice before he picks up.

“Hello?” Blake’s voice asks; raspy and tired.

“Hey Blake, I don’t know what time it is there, sorry if I woke you.” I whisper into the phone.

“ABBEY! Oh my god, I had no idea it was you!” He screams in my ear, I can feel his excitement through the phone.

I laugh.

“How are you Blake?” I ask in a concerned tone; I need to make sure he’s okay I still feel like the worst friend in the world for leaving him.

He takes a deep breath, and sighs.

“You know the usual; it’s been raining a lot here lately, which is really adding to my great mood.” He sarcastically explains.

“I want you to know, that I feel completely horrible for leaving you.”

Blake laughs a bit.

“Abbey, you’re not my mom, and you don’t have any obligations to me, it’s cool.”

I sigh and plop myself on my bed.

“But it isn’t cool Blake, I feel like the worst friend ever.” I whine; feeling tears billow in the rims of my eyes.

“Okay okay! Enough depressing talk, you’ve woken me up at 5 in the morning I don’t need to be depressed before my body is even functioning.” Blake jokes; making me laugh.

“So how many guys have hit on you so far?” He asks trying to hide his laughter.

“Um, what are you talking about?” I ask morally confused.

“Oh c’mon Abbey, wherever you go guys are practically drooling on you.”

I smile at his complement, and my mind goes directly to Luke. Why can’t he drool over me? Instead that’s what I do to him; while he yells and basically takes my arm off.

“Well not the guys here, they think I dress like a middle aged man.” I joke trying to ignore the pain in my chest replaying when Luke said that.

Blake bursts into laughter.

“HEY! It’s not funny!” I snap trying to hold back laughing with him.

He catches his breath from laughing.

“I’m not going to lie Abbey, the clothes you wear don’t necessarily do much for you, but you definitely don’t dress like a man.

“Blake you suck.” I mumble.

His mood dampers.

“I know, but I think my mom heard me. She’d kill me if she knew I was talking to you.”

What? Why would she do that? I mean I know Blake’s mom hated that fact that he was gay and I was the only one who accepted him for it, but why would she freak out that we’re talking?

“Why, what happened?” I ask trying not to seem pushy.

“Really Abbey, you live in Australia now, it isn’t exactly next door.”