Chapter V

I wake up the next morning feeling my forehead damp, shit, maybe I should have left the window open. It is boiling hot in my room, I gasp for air while running over to open the window, a cool breeze rushes in the room, I sigh in relief. 

I have no idea what I’m going to do today, but I know I do not want to run into Melissa again, or Luke for that matter, okay maybe I want to run into Luke a little bit, but can you blame me? He seems like a puzzle that I want to put him together.

“Abigail are you ready for school Hun?” Mother calls from downstairs.

Oh shit wait what, theirs school today? I guess I forgot yesterday was Sunday and that Monday comes after. Ugh I don’t want to go; I’ve been confused out of my mind by these people and now I have to go spend a whole 7 hours with them. Kill me now.

“Yeah mom, just let me put some makeup on and I’ll be down.” I don’t want to argue with her, not over something as stupid as school and she doesn’t seem well lately, and I don’t want to add to her stress.

I walk into the bathroom after walking in my mom’s room by accident. I find some black eyes liner and thinly line my eyes, put some eyes shadow on and make my way downstairs.

“You look lovely dear, there is a peach for you on the counter, go grab it. I’ll be in the car waiting.” She gives me a warm smile and a kiss on the cheek. I cringe a little making her laugh.

I walk over to the dimly lit kitchen, grab the fruit and make my way to the door. My body is a lot more tired than I would have expected it to be, and I feel like I’m dragging myself around.

I take a deep breath as I walk out the door praying that I don’t see Melissa. I don’t and mother honks the horn.

I run to the car. 

“Good morning Abbey!” Adam says cheerily.

“Why are you so happy, its 6 o’clock in the morning?” I tease.

Adam is always so pleasant when we first move, I know he would never admit it but he loves new places, having new things to explore, and new people to meet. And me on the other hand would rather have stayed in the same city, same house same everything my whole life.

The car ride is quiet but the radio in the background helps to make it not awkward.

We pull up to my school first, it seemed to come around the corner too fast, and I being to panic.

“Mom I can’t do this.” I burst out.

She smiles and puts her hand on my thigh.

“Of course you can Abbey, don’t worry about it, everyone will love you they always do.” She gives me a warm smile and hands me $10 for lunch.

I feel butterflies storm around my stomach, I feel like I’m going to throw up, but I open my door and slowly put one foot out of the car. I feel everyone’s eyes on me as I slowly walk up to the school. Out of nowhere someone comes behind me.

“Abigail!” 

I turn around and see Ashton, and feel my whole body ease, to see a friendly face.

“I had no idea to go here?” He continues making a question out of his statement.

I smile, and sigh. “Yea, my first day, and I want to throw up.” I complain, and he just laughs at me.

He takes my arm and leads me into the school. As soon as everyone sees me with Ashton they all stop looking. My whole body sighs in relief. I don’t know if I could have taken a whole day with everyone and their dog staring at me.

“Did you get your timetable?” Ashton asks while letting go of my arm.

“No.” I replay and he looks over at me, his eyes intense. I shiver.

“What, it there something on my face?” I squeak while lifting my hands to my face, he stops me.

He shakes his head. “No, you’re just really really pretty.” He says with flush cheeks, I break eye contact and giggle in the other direction.

We reach the office and Ashton notions me to wait outside. He’s in there for only a moment.

I see the back of a tall, lean tattooed boy. I tilt my head in confusion like I’ve seen him before.

He turns to face me, you can’t be serious. It’s Luke.

He wrinkles his eyebrows in confusion when he sees me. His soft eyes turn, and he storms in my direction.

“I can’t believe you!?” He boasts. I wait for everyone’s eyes to beam on us, but they don’t as if they are used to him yelling.

I stand their morally confused. His angry voice makes my body tingle. How? Normally when someone is yelling at you, you feel like running in a corner.

“What are you talking about?” I ask quietly, trying to draw the least amount of attention to myself, but the way Luke is yelling at me it makes it kind of hard.

“You know what you did!” He booms, and I finally understand what he’s talking about.

“Is this about Melissa? How could you possibly think I had anything to do with that?” I say my voice gets a little louder. Him thinking I had something to do about him and Melissa breakup kind of hurts.

He moves closer to me, his blue eyes sparkling they send shivers down my spine.

“Mel and I hadn’t had a fight in months, then you move here and we can’t stop bickering at each other!” His voice getting angrier as does his body language.

I shake my head in disbelief.

“I’ve been here not even for 2 days, and you think I have the audacity to destroy a relationship?” I try to keep my tone as calm as possible, but with him accusing me life this, makes me angrier than I thought.

The anger in his eyes starts to fade, but it quickly replaces with frustration.

“Well you did something.” He scoffs, and walks into my shoulder. He doesn’t seem to put any force in it, but I tumble as I lose my balance. He laughs and shakes his head as he walks away.

I quickly pick myself back up, but instantly feel like I’m going to fall again.

Wow, 10 minutes in, and it’s already a great fucking day.