Chapter III

I have so many questions about Luke, and so many things I want to learn about him. Like what are the meanings of all the tattoo’s that cover most of his body, and why he decided to get so many. But I really shouldn’t be thinking about him so much, and the fact that his girlfriend is my next door neighbour makes the situation a bit weird.

I stand awkwardly in the middle of my empty room and try to figure out where I’m going to put everything. But at the moment I am extremely exhausted, I drop myself on my bed and stare at the ceiling. I strong wind comes through my window.

I sigh, “Even the smell of the air is different here.” I roll my tired body over on my side and search for my phone.

I see it on the ground and me being the lazy ass that I am, I extend my fingers as much as possible without getting off my bed. I feel my fingertips brush my phone and I push myself a little more towards the edge of my bed. YES. Finally I grab it.

I debate on if I should call Blake now or later, I am unaware of the time difference, so I peel myself off of my bed and walk my tired, tense muscles down stairs.

The house is so empty, it’s creepy and weird. I smell a strong scent of new hardwood as I walk down the spiral staircase.

I finally reach the bottom, and see Adam goofing off on our new leather sofa.

“Adam, what are you doing?” I guess he didn’t hear me come down the stairs because when he hears me he jumps at the sound of my voice.

He falls off the couch and makes a loud crash on the hardwood floor. He just sits there in shock, and then bursts into laughter, for not more than two seconds before.

“ADAM AND ABIGAIL, CAN YOU NOT DESTROY MY NEW HOUSE PLEASE?!” Mom screams from some other room.

Me and Adam freeze and look at each other and burst into laughter. Adam stops and walks over to a wicker basket resting on the floor and pulls out a remote.

“Abbey can you work the TV for me?” He asks me while making puppy eyes.

“For sure A, what channel do you want?” I ask while hitting the remote on my hand trying to make it work.

“Anything.” Adam breathes eagerly.

I finally get the remote to work as I flick through some channels of shows I’ve never seen before.

 “Stop! I’ll watch that one.” Adam yells while flinging himself back on the couch.

I laugh, “Okay here you go squirt, don’t break the TV while I’m gone.”

I walk through the near empty house trying to find my mother. All the lights are on but the house is still creepy.

I reach a dark room, and stop right outside the door way.

“Mom?” I ask hesitantly.

As soon as she hears me she lifts her head banging it on some self above her.

She sighs in frustration, “What is it Abigail?”

“Um, sorry to bother you but, do you know what time it is in Boston.” I ask timidly hoping not to anger her.

But she smiles and says, “It’s about 3AM their dear.”

My eyes widen.

“Well I guess I’m not calling Blake right now then.”

She frowns remembering the incident leaving Boston. She sighs and sits down on some unpacked boxes and notions me to sit.

I hesitate, because I don’t want to get into another fight with her about the situation. But I slowly walk over to her and sit gently on the box.

She brings her hand to my thigh and takes another huge sigh. She looks at the ground.

“Look Abigail, I don’t want to fight.” I don’t say a word and I move my thigh from under her hand. She takes it up to her forehead and rubs it.

“I’m sorry for making you leave Blake in the state he was in, and I’m sorry I was so insensitive to the situation.” I roll my eyes and sigh while lifting my body off of the box and stand with my back towards her.

“Well it happened already so we might as well move on.” I snap and her face falls. She doesn’t make eye contact with me, and we just sit in silence for a moment.

She smiles, and something parks her memory.

“Hey Abbey, can you go the store and pick me up some pins, if this shelf hits my head one more time, I’m going to go off.”

Is she serious? We’ve been here for less than an hour I don’t even know the way around my own house and she expects me to go out and find a store. This is just like her, she’ll being up a serious situation and get upset with other people’s reactions and changes the subject into something that will benefit her.

“I know you don’t know this place but maybe you can figure it out, and meet some people. It wouldn’t hurt Abigail.” I just stand their quietly thinking of all that could go wrong.

But then I think about Luke, maybe I’ll see him along the way, hopefully without Melissa. I know it’s rude but I want to get to know him, without her prancing around.

“Fine.” I finally spit out.

My mother’s face glows with my acceptance of her request. But then again quickly.

“Abigail, I know you’re not going to forgive me easily, and I understand that, but you must know that everything I do is for you kids-“Before she can continue a cut her off with a sigh and roll my eyes.

“If you really cared about us “kids” you wouldn’t have made us more thousands of miles away from our friends and our old life. I LEFT MY BESTFRIEND, I WAS ALL HE HAD, AND WHILE HE WAS BREAKING DOWN I HAD NO FUCKING CHOICE BUT TO LEAVE HIM STRANDED WITH PARENTS WHO DON’T CARE ABOUT HIM AND A SCHOOL FULL OF PEOPLE THAT ONLY BULLY HIM!”

I scare myself at how loud and hurtful I am being to my mother. I feel my heartbeat start to race and my fists clench. My mother quickly gets up off of the unpacked box and slowly walks over to me. She rests her hand on my shoulder.

“Abigail, I am truly sorry, I really am, but you have to realise you’re not Blake’s mother you can’t and shouldn’t have to care for him the way a mother should, you’re only 17 you shouldn’t have that responsibility.”

I feel my anger slowly leave my body, and I settle down. She is right, but he’s still my friend and she doesn’t realize that I was all he had, weather I was a mom figure to him or not. I just left him there to die.

I have nothing else to say to my mother and I slowly shake her hand off my shoulder, and walk out of the room.

 I feel butterflies as I leave the dark room and try to find my way to the front door.

Why do I have butterflies, is it because I’m somewhere new, afraid to get lost, because I almost flipped my top completely in front of my mom? Or is it because of Luke?

I giggle a little. It can’t be because of Luke, I don’t even know him, let alone like him. But I can’t deny the way I feel when I think about him. I know it’s wrong but the mystery about him draws me in, and I kind of like it.