Chapter (IX)

I finally reach the outside of the school. I take a huge sigh in relief, but feel my body tenses up again when Ashton is nowhere in sight.

“Abbey, over here!” Ashton calls while sitting at a picnic a mile away.

I feel my racing heart rest when I see Ashton. Thank god.

“It’s okay that I call you that, right?” He asks timidly.

I smile.

 “Of course, everyone does. Sorry for Luke back there.” I gulp hoping I don’t make him feel uneasy.

He shakes his head and smiles.

“Oh no worries, it’s Luke, nothing out of the ordinary.” I try to smile but it comes out as an uncomfortable frown. 

Why is everyone so used to Luke’s horrible behavior, and why does he act so broken and mean? He’s 17 and he walks around like he’s an angry old man, screaming at anything that moves.

My thoughts are interrupted.

“Aye Ash!” A dark haired boy yells while running towards me and Ashton.

I see Ashton open his mouth if he is about to ask me something but he doesn’t. He was probably going to ask me how I know Luke, but I’m thankful he doesn’t.

“Oh hey Calum.” He says standing up giving the boy a hug.

“Who’s the hottie?” I hear Calum mumble to Ashton, causing him to blush; he shakes his head and notions towards me.

“This is Abigail.”

I stand up awkwardly putting my hand out for him to shake it. He flickers a crocked smile my way and shakes my hand.

“Well this isn’t awkward at all!” Ashton teases while sitting back down.

Calum raises one of his eyes brows when Ashton and I sit.

“Are you guys seriously staying on campus for lunch?” He teases.

Ashton looks at me, noticing I don’t have a lunch.

“Uhm, I guess not Abbey needs to buy her food.” He points out, his tone unreadable.

“Okay it’s settled then, LET’S GO!” Calum boasts excitedly.

Ashton and I wrap our bags around our shoulders as we follow Calum off campus. He leads us to this 80’s diner about 5 minutes away from school. 

“It’s cute.” I say to Calum and Ashton; Ashton doesn’t look at me, but Calum gives me a full smile.

I follow them both into the diner; I am a bit turned off by all the motorbikes outside surrounding the place, but I feel safe around Ashton so I shrug it off.

We walk in and all eyes dart to us; I feel uncomfortable so I move closer to Ashton, he looks down at me and gives me a reassuring smile, and I feel okay again.

I don’t know what it is about him that makes me feel so comfortable, but something about him does, and I like it.

Calum leads us to a booth in the far end of the diner. A flame haired, tattooed lady comes to take our order; despite her look, she is very sweet.

I order a large fry and a salad; Ashton laughs at my order. I nudge his shoulder.

“Hey, don’t laugh at me; I’m a vegetarian so burgers are off the menu for me.” 

He smirks at me, and orders a burger and fries; as does Calum.

We go on rambling about school and how much we hate it; they ask me some questions about America; and as do I about Australia. After we get our food; we hear loud rumbling of motorbike engines, and a flock of tattooed bikers walk into the diner; I nearly chock on my food when I see Luke.

“Is he following us or something?” I mumble to Ashton, making sure Calum doesn’t hear, but he’s too busy making out with his lunch to hear us.

“Why would he do that?” He asks sounding confused, raising his eyebrows expecting me to give him a long story; but I just shrug and keep quiet.

Luke’s eyes flicker at me, he chuckles when he sees I’m with Ashton and Calum; why does he always do that? He’s such an asshole; I can’t help but I can’t help but be angry with him; what does he have against Ashton; he’s the sweetest guy, and Luke is, Luke.

“Aye Abbey, you gonna eat your fries?” Calum asks while pointing at me full plate of food. I snap out of my gaze at Luke.

“Oh- um no, you can have them.” I smile while pushing my plate across the table towards him.

Ashton gives me a look; like you should eat more than a salad, but I ignore him and continue to push the plate.

“Sweet!” Calum boasts.

 I smile while Ashton frowns at me.

“After seeing Luke, I’ve lost my appetite.” I whisper to Ashton, and he laughs a little.

I nearly pass out when I see Luke walking over to us. He leans his long body over the booth.

“You have a real knack for hanging out with losers Abbey.” He grins towards me, his blue eyes on fire.

“Don’t call me that, only my friends get to call me that.” I snap. 

Ashton shines a toothy grin towards the ground. Luke takes his lip piercing under his teeth in frustration.

“What do you want Luke?” I finally break the silence. He looks at me, his eyes look like an ocean; they’re so beautiful.

“I want to talk to you.” I roll my eyes at him, and sigh.

“Luke can’t to see I’m having lunch with my friends, and talking to you isn’t very pleasant.” I look over at Calum and he looks very uncomfortable and confused.

A tall blonde boy covered in more tattoos and piercings than Luke comes over and rests his hand on Luke’s shoulder.

“Hey Luke, you gonna come have lunch with us or what?” Anger flashes through Luke’s eyes and he once again bits his bottom lip; he does that a lot.

“Yeah, Michael I’m coming. Have it your way Abbey, but we will talk.” He says; his tone is full of anger.

“Don’t call me that.” I snap at him once more trying to be intimidating, but he just laughs at me and walks off with Michael.

We sit in silence once Luke leaves; Ashton looks up at me, his eyes soft.

“You okay?” He mumbles; sounding concerned.

I nod, “I’m fine.”

Calum brings his eye brows together at our behavior.

“What was that all about?” He asks while shoving a handful of fries into his mouth.

I laugh at how silly he looks.

“I have no idea, and I don’t want to find out.” I answer.

Calum has a hard time chewing all the food in his mouth.

“Well you know you’re going to have to talk to him at some point.” He brings a napkin to his mouth.

“Why is that?” I ask; morally interested.

“Luke will just keep bugging you, that’s what he does.” Calum continues.

I sit awkwardly trying to analyze what Calum is saying to me, but I can’t my mind just keeps going to Luke. FUCK, I really need to stop thinking about him, it’s becoming a problem.