Chapter 33

I can hardly believe my ears as Ashton begins to tell me about Luke's past; I knew something had to have happened to make him so cold, but I had no idea it was this bad.

“Luke was too young to know what his father was doing to him was wrong, but he knew it wasn't right.” Ashton mumbles while looking at the waves.

My heart shatters into a million pieces; how could his father do that to him?! The pain in my chest quickly turns into anger.

“Wait, wait, how do you know so much about this?” I ask while rubbing my temple from taking in all this information.

Ashton glances over at me in the corner of his eye.

“Luke and I used to be best friends; then he went back to live with his father in the summer before middle school, when he came back he was completely different.” I can hear the pain behind Ashton's voice which makes the pain in my chest worse.

I try my hardest to analyze all of what he's saying.

“And what about his mom?” I mumble while studying Ashton's face closely; he rests his elbows on his crossed thighs.

“Luke's father was a whack job Abbey; I mean he would hit and touch Luke almost every night!” Ashton pauses and collects himself. 

“Luke's mother only found out when he came back that summer, he was distant, cold and angry at everything and everyone.” Ashton takes a deep breath to hold back his emotions; I bring my hand to his shoulder and his jumps a little.

“And where is his dad now?” I don't even know if I want the answer; but I have to know that Luke isn't in danger.

“He's in Roster Halls rehab center.” Ashton mumbles looking over to see if Calum is making his way back yet; sure enough he is.

“Wait, wait. Why is he there?” I ask quickly before Calum gets close enough to hear.

“He was or still is addicted to heroin; he wouldn't have molested and beat his own son in his right state of mind.” He mumbles while faking a smile for Calum.

“Damn, it feels like death over here; I brought some nacho's!” Calum boasts while setting a plate of nacho's down on the beach towel.

Finally everything makes sense; I would love to say that finding out about Luke's past had made me content but I am more uneasy then I have been in my whole life.

My emotions are string in my body; and I feel like I'm going to explode.

“Do you have his number?” I blurt out; shit. I quickly cover my mouth and bite down on my tongue.

Ashton's eyes snap to me.

“Why?” He mouths; with his eye brows wrinkled.

Calum finishes chewing his nachos'.

“Who's number?” He asks while moving his eyes back and forth between Ashton and I.

I break eye contact with Ashton and look down at my hands.

“Never mind, it isn't important.” I feel Ashton glare at me.

We sit awkwardly in silence while Calum and Ashton exchange glances.

“Alright man, I'm so ready to surf now!” Calum finally breaks the silence.

Ashton snaps out of whatever daze he was in and gets on his feet.

“Hey Abbey you wanna try now?” Calum asks while motioning at his surf board; surfing is the last thing I want to be doing right now.

“No, I'm going to observe a bit first.” I smile; Calum returns the expression.