Chapter 26

I collect my things before leaving the classroom. I spot Calum and Ashton waiting by the science lab, I walk over.

“Hey Abbey, you look so hot in those jeans.” Calum compliments while Ashton gives him a look.

“What? Just because you’re scared to tell her, doesn’t mean I am.” Calum laughs while making Ashton’s cheeks bright red. I can’t help but laugh with him.

“Well thank you Calum.” I smile back at him; Nancy comes out of nowhere.

“Hey, oh wow you wore the jeans!” She says sounding really excited about something.

“Yeah, sorry I’ll give them back to you tonight.” I apologize feeling a bit bad for wearing Nancy’s jeans again without asking her if she wanted them back.

I see Calum shake his head to Nancy almost to say “please don’t make her give them back”. I feel my insides smile at how much compliments I’m getting from these jeans.

“You think I’m going to let you give me back those jeans after how good your ass looks in them?” She asks while Calum and Ashton nod to each other. It feels a bit weird to be complimented this much; but I think I like it.

Ashton and Calum go on talking amongst themselves while Nancy and I talk.

“So there’s a party tonight.” She says timidly; I know she doesn’t mean any harm bringing up but I still feel a bit fragile to the situation.

Ashton overhears her and storms over.

“No, I don’t think that’s a good idea, considering what happened last time.” He says trying to hold is anger in.

“I know, but Luke won’t be there.” Nancy quickly defends; I think she might be right Luke didn’t bring up any party today in class, and Michael didn’t track me down to tell me about one.

Ashton looks at me and shrugs.

“It’s true; I don’t think he’s going to be at this one, he didn’t bring it up in class-.”I stop when I see Ashton’s eyes fill with anger.

“You talk to him?” He asks trying to keep his tone neutral.

“Well we nearly got into a fight because of our different views on Romeo and Juliet.” I mumble; which makes Ashton laugh.

“That’s good to hear.” I don’t think he meant to say that as he awkwardly tugs at his shirt.

Calum stands by himself confused of what we’re all talking about. The bell rings and Ashton, Nancy and I go into science while Calum makes his way to Civics.

I really like the fact that we can sit wherever we want in science, today Ashton sits in front of me and Nancy sits behind me.

Before Mr. Vance starts the lesson Nancy taps my shoulder.

“Please just think about it?” She pleads while keeping her eyes locked on Ashton.

I nod while keeping my eyes on the front. Then to my surprise Ashton turns around.

“Do you want to go anywhere for lunch?” He smiles; I don’t know how to react to him talking to me in class. He never talks in class, ever.

I feel my body tense up when I remember my detention with Luke. I know better than to tell Ashton; he’ll insist on being there with me and I don’t need them knocking each other’s teeth out. I try to think of something as quickly as I can.

“No I can’t. I have to stay in and get some help on the lessons I missed yesterday.” I say trying to keep my tone easy and even through my lie.