Chapter VI

I have a hard time trying to find my way home, mostly because I can’t stop replaying the way Luke grabbed my arm, and his vicious tone he spoke in as his tightened his grip around it.

Why is he so dark and cold? Is that what Ashton why trying to warm me about? I look like an idiot shaking my head to myself as I slowly walk up the steep road. The sun it setting and finding mom’s nail took me a lot longer than I planned.

The warm breeze turns cold, and makes goose bumps appear on my skin. My slow stroll picks up and I’m nearly jogging up the road, I finally reach my door my muscles are tense and sore from my mini marathon.

I catch my breath and go to open the door.

“Abbey!” Someone yells from behind me, I turn around; it’s Melissa.

I plaster a fake smile on my face and try to sound excited to see her.

“Oh hey Melissa.”

“I’m sorry about earlier, leaving you like that. But we can talk now!”

Ugh, kill me now! I feel mean thinking so rudely about her, but she is just so perky it’s annoying.

“Uh, sorry I can’t I’ve been out for 3 hours trying to find nails for my mom.”

Her face falls for only a quick second.

“It won’t take long I just want to get to know you.” He says with a smile and walks towards me.

Um, what part of what I just said did she not get? She takes 2 steps towards me and I take 4 steps back.

“How about tomorrow, you can knock when you want?” I offer her, but she doesn’t seem to be interested.

“It will only take a minute, you can’t spare that?” He asks her voice pushy and she takes more steps towards me. I can’t move away, if I take any more steps back I’ll walk into my front door.

I can’t take it anymore.

“WHAT PART OF NO DO YOU KNOW UNDERSTAND?!” She jumps at my tone, but then strikes me a sinister grin.

What the hell?

She takes more steps towards me, she is uncomfortably close now.

She laughs. “Is someone getting mad?”

I cringe at her voice, and how she I can feel her breath.

I sigh in anger. “What the fuck is wrong with you people?” I ask, almost sounding amazed.

She snaps out of whatever faze she was in and glares at me. She moves a reasonable length back away.

“What do you mean by us people?” She asks quietly, emphasizing the “us”.

Oh shit, why did I let that slip out? I have no way of covering up the fact that her boyfriend almost tore my arm off today for no reason at all. I could try to cover it up, but I’m too mad to think of some dumb excuse.

“I mean you and Luke; your boyfriend almost tore my arm off today, because I called him an ass, which he rightfully deserved.”

Anger flashes in her green eyes, and she glares at me again, her eyes feel like they are piercing my skin. She starts moving closer to me again, she gets up in my face and points at me.

“You stay away from my boyfriend, you got it?” She says in a harsh tone while getting up in my face.

Even though Melissa has such a small skinny frame, I feel my stomach turn with her threat. I feel a knot in my throat but gulp it down. My body is frozen; she lifts her eye brows at me waiting for an answer. I feel like my voice is completely gone, so I nod.

And with that she walks away into her house.

I stand frozen for a couple of minutes trying to analyze what just happened, but I can’t. Confused and a bit shook, I scurry into my house.

My mother is standing with her hands on her hips in the front dimly lit foyer.

“Abigail, where have to been?!” Mom yells, sounding worried and mad at the same time.

I wrinkle my forehead in confusion. “I was out getting what you ask for.” She narrows her eyes. “Your nails mom, you asked me for nails!”

She shakes her head, while taking her hand to her forehead. “Oh yes, sorry Abbey I forgot.”

I can see the whites of her eyes are a dark pink colour. I walk over and touch her arms.

“Mom are you okay?” I ask trying to make eye contact with her, but her eyes are plastered to the floor.

She shakes away from my touch.

“Yes Abigail, I’m fine, I- I’ve just been forgetting things a lot lately.”

I bend down and put my hand to her jaw line and pull her head up to look at me.

“But you’re okay right?” I ask staring hard into her eyes making sure she doesn’t tell me a lie.

She looks into my eyes for only a moment before looking away. I drop my hand from her jaw.

“I’m fine Abigail; there is supper for you on the table when you are hungry.”  I pull out my phone and realize it’s nearly 8 o’clock.

Holy shit, how long was I gone for?

I nod and thank her before scurrying off to my room so I can think.

I open my creaky door and feel a rush of cold air. Shit. I left my window open. Goose bumps reappear on my skin, I walk over to my window but I hear something.

“I don’t think I can do this anymore Luke.”

 It sounds like Melissa’s voice but I’m not sure. Why would she tell me to stay away from him, if she knew she was going to breakup with him? I stand there in confusion looking out my window, I see a figure walk towards it and I throw myself on the floor.

I slowly pull myself up to the window cell. It is Melissa. I’m so confused right now I could punch something.

I don’t want to listen anymore, the less I know the better. I don’t want to get involved with these people; they seem like a bunch of hot heads that love arguments.

I close my window as quietly as I can, praying she doesn’t hear, thankfully she doesn’t and I close my curtains.

Questions race in my head about Melissa and why she would tell me to stay away from Luke is she was going to break their tie anyway. I try to block my thoughts’ out, and I do about Melissa, but they are quickly replaced with thoughts’ of Luke.

I want to think bad things about him, but I can’t. All I think about is the way his hand felt touching my skin, how he takes his lip piercing under his teeth and how he stretched his long body out while leaning on the shelving.

I shake myself. How can I be fantasizing about him after what he did; the mark is still there. I should want to punch him, but I don’t, I want to find out why he is so rude to me and he said what he said to me when I turned my back on him at the store.