Chapter 17

The afternoon flies by and I am relieved to be going home. I don’t bother to call my mother the last thing I need is to hear her rant about something then get into a fight because we have different opinions on the subject.

I drop by my locker before I leave, I switch my math book for my science one; I need more help in science then math, so I’ll study that tonight. I take my gym clothes with me so I can wash them; I close my locker and leave school.

I am relieved when I don’t see anyone I know; until Nancy comes out of nowhere.

“I didn’t know you walked home?!” She asks excitedly while running over to me.

I fake laugh, and stumble on the sidewalk awkwardly.

“Yeah, normally I walk with Ashton but he’s a bit broken.” She laughs.

We walk in silence for a bit before we reach a cross walk; with a red light.

“So you coming to the party tonight?” She finally breaks the silence.

I feel the warm breeze get stuck in my lungs; why does everyone keep asking me about this party?

“It’s Tuesday, why is everyone going to this party?” I ask trying not to sound annoyed; she rolls her eyes.

“It’s our last year of high school, us seniors throw parties any time just for the hell of it, because we know soon it’ll all be serious when we go off to college.” She explains as we walk across the road.

I guess it makes sense; but I really don’t want to go. I don’t drink, party or smoke and I’m not your average teenager. I also really need to study for science.

“So are you going to come? Don’t make me beg.” She plea’s; I look over at her; she’s making puppy dog eyes.

I really do need to study; but then I think what if I showed up with Nancy, how would Luke react? The anticipation and adventure excites me. This surprises me because the most adventure I’ve had in a long time was the drive here.

I finally cave.

“Okay fine, when does it start?” I try to hide the excitement and worry in my voice.

Nancy flashes a huge smile on her perfect face and hugs me. I stand there awkwardly with my arms by my side.

“I’ll come and get you at around 7, be ready.” She demands.

I smile.

“Okay, I’ll see you then.” She waves to me and we go our separate ways.

When I’m left alone with myself to think of the situation I immediately regret saying yes. If anything Luke will get royally pissed that I’m there and put on a big show for everyone. Or I’ll be the only one there not “partying”. I feel uncomfortable just thinking about it. 

I try to shake my fear away as I slowly walk up the steep road to my neighborhood. As I reach the top I see a figure that looks like Luke hovering my driveway, he’s standing awkwardly with his arms out; almost like he’s guiding someone.

The worst flashes in my mind as I run towards him.

“What the hell are you doing?” I yell out of breath.

I search for his eyes; fear flickers in them.

“He’s teaching me how to skate!” Adam boasts excitedly.

My eyes flash at him; he’s wearing his old bike helmet and looks way too small to be on Luke’s skateboard. I don’t know whether I should be mad at Adam for asking Luke or mad at Luke for saying yes.