Chapter 27

I hover my locker and put each book for each subject in my bag intending to study. It’s a long weekend so I should try to make the best of it.

“Hey Abbey!” Nancy smiles while skipping over to my locker; she frowns when she sees me taking all my books.

“You’re not seriously taking your text books home are you?” She whines while dramatically pouting.

I shrug.

“I have to; I don’t feel like redoing grade 12.” I quickly defend myself.

She drops the subject.

“Okay, so you want to go to my house or yours?” She asks and my phone goes off.

“Hold on.” I ask while answering my phone; it’s my mother.

“Thanks for calling me and letting me know you made it to school.” She snaps as soon as I answer the phone; no hello, nothing.

I sigh.

“Thanks for leaving me to walk to school in 40 degree weather.” I snap back just as harsh.

She chuckles on the other end of the phone.

“Can I go to Nancy’s?” I ask before she has a chance to say anything else.

“Is that the girl who have you those barbaric jeans?”  Mother snickers through the phone.

I glance over to Nancy who looks like she’s glowing.

"Yes mother is it." I casually say so Nancy doesn’t ask what my mom said about her.

Mother sighs through the phone.

"Fine Abigail, but I want you home at a decent hour, tonight!" She snaps; I know she’s referring to the night I snuck out.

"Thank you." I say; but she hangs up before I can finish.

"Bitch." I mumble under my breath; Nancy laughs at me.

“So’d she say yes?!" She asks while jumping a little in excitement.

I nod, and put my backpack on my shoulder and squeal.

"Heavy?" Nancy smirks. "Well maybe you should leave half your locker here." She jokes as we walk out of school.

We walk just gabbling on about a whole lot of nothing. Nancy asks my questions about Boston and Blake. I contemplate asking her about Luke because Ashton didn’t give me much information; but we get interrupted by the man of the hour.

“Nance, why are you hanging with this loser?” One of the girls from my science class snickers while walking towards us. I see Luke walk up beside her and another girl; his jaw clenches when she uses the term “loser” but he doesn’t say anything.

“What is he doing hanging out with them?” I ask myself, but Nancy interrupts my thoughts

“Don’t call her that.” Nancy snaps; if feels weird to having people standing up for me, usually it’s always me standing up for Blake, or Ashton.

Luke’s tense expression lightens after Nancy sticks up for me; knowing that he won’t have to.

“I’ll call her whatever I want; it’s called freedom of speech.” The girl snaps back.

I look to Luke but his head is to the ground, normally he stares at me like I’m a fucking alien; but not now.

“Well why don’t you back off and stop being a bitch? How’s that for freedom of speech.” Nancy starts to raise her voice and I pray that things don’t get ugly.