142 - Happiness is a choice

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 142 (5x13)
Word Count: 1519

Alexandria sat on the end of her bed when she spotted a few family photos tucked behind some books on her desk. She stood up, walking over and peering at the photos.

There was a picture of Cassidy Avery with all of her children. A picture of Cassidy and Caroline. A picture of Cassidy, Caroline, and newborn Hope and Leo. A picture of Cassidy and Elijah on their wedding day. A picture of Cassidy and the young triplets. A picture of Cassidy and Marcel before things went south. A picture of Alexandria and Julia. A picture of Cassidy and Cami. And a picture of Cassidy, all of her mates, Hope, Leo, and Alexandria.

Alexandria picked up that last picture and looked at it with smile. The Hollow was gone... her life could finally start to get back on track. She was finally able to enjoy a normal life. As normal as life could get for a 14 year old heretic...

---

In the dining hall, to celebrate the Hollow's final downfall, the entire family was all sitting around the table, eating, drinking, laughing and reminiscing about their past. Cassidy walked in with a grin.

"I brought wine! And donuts!" But her smile quickly fell when she spotted Marcel sat there. "What is he doing here...?"

"I invited him." Davina told. "Is... is that okay, beautiful?"

"Uh..." Cassidy hesitated. "Sure." She silently then put the wine and donuts down on the table before sitting in between Audelia and Davina.

After a good half an hour, most of the food and drinks were gone when Rebekah stood up with a smile.

"All right. It's time for an old-fashioned wish burning ceremony."

They all headed to the courtyard to burn their wishes. Some people told their wishes and others, who were superstitious, kept their wishes to themselves so that they would come true, like Cassidy. She stared down at her wish before throwing it into the fire.

I wish for things to always be like this.
— C.Forbes-Mikaelson

She smiled softly as she watched her wish burn, hoping that it would come true.

Alexandria finished writing her wish, too, reading it over before also throwing it into the fire.

I wish my dad never leaves me again.
-Alexandria

Her wish burnt in the flames.

"You know..." Klaus began, making a toast. "As much as I've savored the joy of tormenting you throughout the years, I must confess you all mean everything to me. Your loyalty and your counsel and your love is probably the only reason why I've survived as long as I have. We're bound forever to those with whom we share blood. And while we may not choose our family, that bond is our greatest strength. Always and forever."

"Always and forever." Everyone chorused in unison, raising their glasses and drinking before dispersing into smaller conversations again. As Cassidy was talking to Kol, Freya, and Leo, Marcel walked up to her, gently tapping her shoulder. Cassidy turned around.

"Oh... Marcel."

"Hey, angel..." Marcel whispered. After 13 years since their mate bond ended, he still called her that. He would never stop calling her that... "Is it okay if I steal you for a few minutes? I would really like to speak with you, alone."

"Yeah, sure." Cassidy shrugged, following Marcel into the living room. The two sat on the sofa in front of the fireplace.

"Um..." Marcel awkwardly cleared his throat. "So, how have you been?"