127 - She's getting stronger

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 127 (4x11)
Word Count: 817

While Cassidy was speaking to Freya and Klaus about what to do with the Hollow and about how her and Klaus' little girl was somehow linked with the monster, Cassidy found herself zoning out. Not because she didn't want to find a way to stop the Hollow of course, but because she was far too worried about her eldest daughter to even think about anything else.

"I'm gonna go check on the kids." Cassidy excused herself, receiving nods from Freya and Klaus before they resumed their conversation. Slipping out of the room, the heretic headed up to Hope's room.

"Mommy!" Julia ran up to her mom on the way up the stairs to Hope's room. "Can you help me? I'm playing hide and seek with RaRa and Alex but I can't find them! I think RaRa let Alex siphon from her to cloak themselves. The little cheaters!"

"I'm not sure, honey." Cassidy responded. "Why don't you go ask your dad, okay? He is in the nursery with Andrea, auntie Hayley, and auntie Bex."

"Okay!" Julia ran off again. Cassidy chuckled at her daughter before ascending the rest of the stairs and heading over to Hope's room. She got her own room once they moved back to New Orleans. No more sharing with Alexandria.

"Hope? I'm coming in." Cassidy pushed open the bedroom door, seeing Hope sitting on her bed. "Hey, honey. How are you feeling?" But Hope seemed distant, almost scared. "Hope?"

"Mom, I can sense the Hollow. She's getting stronger." Hope admitted shakily, finally looking up at her mom. Cassidy walked over, sitting on the edge of Hope's bed. "When we first got here, there was always music outside, people dancing, laughing. But since she came back, it's so quiet. Like she's draining everything out of the city. She already took Uncle Elijah... and soon she will come for the rest of us."

"Listen, Hope, I know you're scared." Cassidy reached forward to place her hand atop her eldest daughter's, tracing patterns on Hope's hand with her thumb comfortingly. "But over the years, a lot of bad people have stood against our family, and all of them have fallen. You can thank your short-tempered dad for that. The Hollow is no different."

"No." Hope frowned. "She is different."

---

"Hey. Where have you gone? I left to visit Hope for five minutes and you left. Where? Please call me back." Cassidy paced anxiously back and forth, hanging up the voicemail to Klaus. She was getting worried. After she spoke to Hope, she went back to Freya and Klaus, only to find they were gone. She searched the entire French Quarter for them before she had headed into Rousseau's to see if Josh had seen them, which he hadn't.

"I'm sure they are fine, Cass." Josh reassured. "Give it a few hours, and if they are not back by then, I will let you get as worried as you want."

"I just want to know where they are!" Cassidy exclaimed in frustration. "I've been searching for them for the past hour. Why would they leave home, knowing that the Hollow is out there?"

"I don't know what to say to that." Josh sighed. "All I can say is that Freya and Klaus have the survival instincts of a cockroach. I'm sure they'll be home soon."

"I hope so..." As soon as Cassidy spoke those words, her phone rang. She picked it up, reading the Caller ID. "It's Nik!" She answered the call.

"Hello, love. Thank you so very much for the fourteen voicemails and thirty two messages. Freya would like to say the same."

"I was worried!"

"Not to worry, we're heading home now."

"Where the hell were you guys?"

"Destroying the Hollow's totem."

"What...? How did you...?"

"We have our ways. It took time."

"But if the Hollow's totem is destroyed, then that means--"

"Yes. It is safe to retrieve Elijah's soul out of the pendant and place it back into his body."

"Oh, my God."

"What d'you say, love? Want to go reunite with a fallen member of our family?"

"I'm on my way." She hung up the phone, turning to Josh with a smile.

"What's that smile for? Should I be worried?" Josh asked cautiously.

"It's time to wake up 'Lijah!" Cassidy squealed happily, rushing over to hug Josh. "I'll be back in here tomorrow morning. I've decided to take all of us here bright and early for a celebration breakfast for 'Lijah so you might need to book this place out for tomorrow. Say, 8am?"

"That's a little short notice--"

"Thanks, Josh! Love you!" Cassidy grinned at her best friend, hugging him one last time before turning and rushing out to be there for when they woke up Elijah.

---

A/N: Just a short one tonight since I'm tired! Love you guys! ❤️
-L xx