64 - You are my always, darling

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 64 (1x14)
Word Count: 2531

The witches had gathered to say goodbye to Sophie, who, unbeknownst to most, was killed the previous night by her niece Monique. Even Cassidy was saddened by Sophie's death, despite the two not always getting along, and also went to say goodbye to Sophie as a man laid bricks over Sophie's grave. Elijah appeared and quickly took out three people at vampire speed, Monique was not phased, but other witches gasped.

"'Lijah, what are you doing?" Cassidy furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, and Elijah sighed in relief at the sight of her, approaching her quickly and laying a hand gently on her cheek.

"Rebekah and Niklaus have been taken. I thought something might have happened to you."

"I'm okay." Cassidy reassured, but then froze. "Wait, what? Nik and Bekah have been taken? Taken where?!"

"That's what I plan on figuring out." Elijah then turned to Monique, standing slightly in front of Cassidy protectively. "Where are they?"

"You're interrupting my Aunt Sophie's consecration." Monique snapped, though no emotion was seen on her face. Elijah glanced at Sophie's grave, only now noticing what was happening, and looked confused. He hadn't heard a word of Sophie's death.

"How did this happen?"

"Aunt Sophie was a casualty of war." Monique smiled. Cassidy hands clenched into fists, suppressing the urge to kill Monique right there. Elijah noticed, subtly prying Cassidy's hands out of the fists, sliding his hand into hers.

"Monique, I recommend you give me what I want. Unless, of course, you'd like me to level this place and everything in it."

"That won't be necessary. I have a message for you from Celeste." Monique raised her hand toward Elijah and started casting a spell on him, and Elijah stumbled away from Cassidy to protect her from being injured as well. Elijah, suddenly uncomfortable, pulled at the collar of his shirt. When he ripped open the top button of his shirt, he saw the name Theresa tattooed on his chest. Monique continued the spell as many more names appeared on his body, including the familiar name Sabine. "To find what you're looking for, follow the path she left behind."

---

Cassidy and Elijah entered the courtyard together to find both Hayley and Marcel sending out more troops to search the city, both vampires and werewolves, their specialties.

"Guys! Have you found anything yet?" Cassidy asked, her worry building up. Klaus and Rebekah couldn't die thankfully, but they could still be seriously injured...

"Babe." Hayley sighed in relief, hurrying forward to kiss her. "Where the hell have you been? I thought you were hurt!"

"I was just saying goodbye to a, um... friend. Have you found anything?" Cassidy repeated her question.

"They're putting eyes and ears out everywhere. Daywalkers are working every contact we've got. Cops, dock workers, guys in the Treme..." Marcel informed.

"I have the werewolves scoping the bayou and the outskirts of Louisiana for any clues." Hayley added.

"Good. I need a pen and paper." Elijah muttered, taking Cassidy's hand in his again, the two of them walking off. Marcel rolled his eyes but went to fetch the supplies while Hayley followed after Cassidy and Elijah, curious to see what was going on. Once Hayley, Cassidy, and Elijah were inside Elijah's bedroom, he shrugged off his jacket and shirt, turning to face his mate. "Darling, I need you to make a list of these names."

While Cassidy waited on Marcel to come back with the pen and paper, she and Hayley began examining the names tattooed across Elijahs shoulders, arms, back, and abdomen. Hayley spotted Sabine's name and rolled her eyes.