31 - What did you do, Caroline?

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 31 (3x15)
Word Count: 2468

Klaus, Cassidy, Rebekah, and Kol sat in the living room of their home. Cassidy was perched comfortably on Klaus' lap, a book in her hand as Klaus pressed kisses to her neck from behind. She looked over the top of her book to see Kol trying to watch them as subtly as he could. Cassidy couldn't help but chuckle.

"Jealous?"

"Oh, not at all, baby. We have plenty of time for things like that." Kol smirked. He'd started calling her 'baby' the previous night, and after claiming that it was his new favorite nickname for her, he hadn't stopped calling her 'baby' since.

"I fancy a drink. I'm off to the Grill." Kol rose to his feet. "It's not fun to go alone. Join me, baby?"

"I'd love to." Cassidy then pulled her neck away from Klaus' lips to look back at him. "What do you say, Nik?"

"Okay. Why not?" Klaus nodded. Cassidy smiled and stood up from Klaus' lap, allowing him to stand up, too. The siphoner glanced at Rebekah, who was scrolling through her phone.

"Do you want to come, Bekah?"

"I would love to, but I have a date with a doppelgänger." Rebekah smirked vengefully. "I might catch up with you guys later, though."

"Okay, if that's what you want. See you later." Cassidy stepped forward, pressing her lips to Rebekah's, and then left their home with Kol and Klaus.

---

As Kol, Cassidy, and Klaus entered the Grill, Cassidy spotted Alaric and Meredith stood by the bar together.

"Oh, it's Alaric! And Meredith assisted my dad before he..." Cassidy paused, frowned, but still tried to perk herself back up. "Let's go say hi." So, as the three headed towards the bar, they started overhearing Alaric and Meredith's conversation. They were talking about the mysterious killer that had struck three people now, and two of them included Bill Forbes and Alaric Saltzman themselves.

"Well, what about my head? Why can't I remember anything about the attack?" They heard Alaric ask Meredith, speaking of when he was attacked by the mysterious serial killer.

"Your CT scans were clear. Maybe you were compelled to forget." Meredith suggested quietly, making sure to keep her voice down. But it was loud enough for Cassidy to hear as she and her mates walked closer.

"Wait... you think the killer's a... a vampire?" Alaric whispered, his eyes widening in surprise. Meredith offered a small shrug.

"There are no other suspects. It's the obvious conclusion."

Finally, Kol, Cassidy, and Klaus had made their way through the Grill and had reached the bar. Cassidy smiled and slid into the bar stool on the other side of Meredith.

"Hey, guys. You aren't very quiet with your talks of our very own serial killer. Not subtle, either."

"Cassidy." Alaric greeted. "How much did you hear?"

"Enough to know that Meredith here believes my mates are behind the attacks." Cassidy responded. Kol and Klaus then leaned on the bar beside her, causing Alaric and Meredith's eyes to both widen.

"Oh, come on now. Let's not go blaming the new family in town just because you lot have got yourselves a killer at large." Klaus smirked. "Don't mind us. Us three are just here to let off some steam."

---

Kol, Cassidy, and Klaus still stood at the bar. Alaric and Meredith were over by the pool table. When Klaus spotted Caroline entering the Grill, he nudged his stunning mate lightly.