137 - She was my mate, I will always love her

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 137 (5x08)
Word Count: 8044

A/N: Here is a very long one for you guys to make up for not uploading as much recently! ❤️
-L xx

In New Orleans, bodies cannot be buried. Instead, in boxes above the ground, the dead cluster together. When a man passes on, his family tomb is cracked open. Old bones are shoved aside to make room for fresh remains. Bloodlines rot, entangled. The houses are that way, too. Layer upon layer of peeling paint, hiding little tragedies. Scorch marks from the fires. Waterlines on wallpaper. These are the tombs of the living, where we rot alongside memories of our dead. Crowded with people we have failed and those who have failed us, we are forced to struggle with those we love.

---

Klaus was leaning against the railing of the balcony. Elijah stood in the room behind him.

"Every last exit is sealed." He spoke up. Klaus turned around, walking closer. "If you're thinking about jumping, don't. I already tried it. I landed in the world's most pretentious wine cellar."

"You sorted it by vintage, remember?" Klaus muttered, causing Elijah to nod in realization.

"What the hell are we doing here?" Elijah questioned. "This is dangerous, you and I here together."

"We're not actually here together, are we? Not physically, at least." Klaus sighed. Elijah's eyes widened when he realised where they were.

"We are in a Chambre de Chasse, aren't we?"

"Yes. I think we are." Klaus responded. "But don't worry. The good thing means there's always a way out."

"Right. A game or... a riddle." Elijah sighed. "How do we solve this riddle?"

---

After Klaus and Elijah discussed the ways to solve the riddle, they had agreed to split up and search everything square by square. Klaus walked downstairs into the courtyard. He looked at the portrait of Elijah, which was slashed and covered with blood. A door opened and closed, causing Klaus to immediately spin around.

"Who's there? Show yourself!"

"Oh, Nik. Always so dramatic." A sudden voice teased playfully, and Klaus immediately knew who it was. He turned and saw none other than his beloved little sister.

"Rebekah." Klaus smiled. Rebekah returned the gesture and walked closer to embrace him, both of them sighing in relief.

But that was when Kol suddenly appeared from literally thin air, landing on the couch. Klaus and Rebekah pulled away to look at him, as Kol scrambled to his feet.

"Oh, bloody hell. My least favorite recurring nightmare."

"I was about to head home after seeing my gorgeous son and wife, and drowning my sorrows about my niece, when I suddenly dropped." Rebekah told, uncorking a bottle of wine and pouring it, only to find it empty. She chuckled, turning around. "What I wouldn't give to spend just a decade without being dragged into a god forsaken Chambre de Chasse."

Klaus then turned to look at Kol.

"What were you doing then? I thought I saw tears leaking down your face."

"I was on the phone with my wife and daughter. If it slipped your mind, I had to attend a funeral for my daughter today just to be there for Cassidy and Clara when all I would rather do is lock myself away for a decade or two to grieve alone. My little girl is dead." Kol snapped. "But of course, I was ripped from mourning for this. I suppose I'll ask the obvious... piss off any witches lately?"