18 - They're all dead

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 18 (3x02)
Word Count: 2001

Klaus, Cassidy, Elijah, and Stefan were walking up the smoky mountains of Tennessee. Stefan was carrying an unconscious Ray on his shoulders, and Klaus had been teasing him about it for the past hour.

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?"

"I'm fine." Stefan repeated for what felt like the hundredth time.

"You sure about that?" Klaus smirked mockingly. "You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit-down--"

"You know, I get that we're, uh... we're stuck together, but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat, it'd be great." Stefan requested.

"Ooh. First time ever hearing Stefan talk back. I'm impressed." Cassidy joined in with the teasing, causing Stefan to shoot her a glare. "My legs are really starting to ache, though." And then, the siphoner got an idea. She spotted Elijah walking silently, trying to drown out Klaus' and Stefan's voices, with his hands shoved into his trouser pockets.

He hadn't noticed Cassidy's smirk, or the way she was creeping up behind him, until she ran and jumped on Elijah's back. He was a little startled, but held her as if she was as light as a feather. Cassidy giggled and hugged him from behind, wrapping her legs around his waist. Elijah smiled lovingly and continued walking, not minding carrying Cassidy on his back the remainder of the way.

"I'm a little tired of hunting werewolves. We've been at it all summer." The Salvatore commented.

"Thanks to our pal, Ray, we found ourselves a pack. There." Klaus pointed somewhere in the distance. They walked closer, eventually coming to a stop when they saw a camp. A camp that belonged to a werewolf camp. Stefan stepped forward first, entering the camp. Everyone immediately turned to look at him as Stefan carelessly dropped Ray onto the ground. A woman rushed over to him.

"Ray! Oh, my God. What's going on? Who are you?"

Klaus and Elijah finally walked closer, side by side, with Cassidy still sat comfortably on Elijah's back.

"The important question is: who are we?" Klaus spoke, gesturing to himself and his brother. "Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus, and this here is my dearest brother, Elijah."

Elijah tried to hide his smirk, already sensing how much it was bothering Klaus to have to address Elijah as 'dearest brother' considering the two never got along. But since Cassidy came round, the two brothers had found it much, much easier to tolerate each other.

"You're the originals." The woman realised, her eyes widening in panic. "The original brothers... the Mikaelsons."

Elijah smiled.

"It is flattering that you have heard of us... but my brother has some important matters he wishes to attend to with you all."

"Yes. Thank you, Elijah." Klaus stepped forward. "After all, I am the hybrid."

At his words, the werewolves grew even more scared.

---

Klaus, Cassidy, Elijah, and Stefan were all sitting down together. Everyone was standing still, eyeing the four nervously.

"It's fascinating, actually... a werewolf who isn't beholden to the moon, a vampire who doesn't burn in the sun. A true hybrid." Klaus spoke, just as Ray gasped awake. "Excellent timing, Ray. Very dramatic."

"What's happening to me?" Ray asked, visibly shaking from fear. Klaus simply turned to Stefan.

"Stefan?"