39 - I have to search for our mate

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 39 (4x01)
Word Count: 2483

Cassidy was looking at the pictures Klaus had drawn. She picked one up as her eyes brimmed with tears. She threw the picture down and knocked the rest of them off the table in a fit of rage, and at the sudden crash of noise, Rebekah vamp sped into the room. She stopped, however, when she saw the distraught Cassidy.

"Gorgeous, you can't keep letting your emotions take a hold of you like that."

"Yes, I can!" Cassidy exclaimed, running her hands through her hair. "Because he's not dead! Nik is alive, I know it!"

"Cassidy..." Rebekah cautiously walked closer to her mate. "We saw Alaric kill him. We saw it."

"No, you don't understand! If Nik is dead, his name would be faded. But it's not!" Cassidy showed Rebekah her mate tattoo which still had Klaus' name on it. Rebekah stared at the tattoo in surprise at the news that maybe Klaus was still out there.

"But then how--?" Rebekah never got to ask her question as someone else had entered the room. Damon.

"Not in the mood, Damon. Please go away." Cassidy rolled her eyes, shrugging her sleeve back down. Damon sighed.

"Look, I'm sorry about Klaus, alright?"

"You have nothing to be sorry for. It's Alaric who needed to apologise, but due to... sudden events, he's unable to." Cassidy shrugged, remembering Elena's recent demise and she and Alaric were linked. "I'm sorry about Elena, though..."

"Tragic." Rebekah agreed, but unlike Cassidy, the original was not sympathetic at all. As after all, she'd been the one to cause Matt's truck to go over Wickery Bridge and sink with Matt and Elena both inside. From what Cassidy had heard, Matt survived, Elena didn't. "Not to make a grey cloud greyer, but does Matt even have automobile insurance?" Rebekah turned back around. Damon rushed at her with the indestructible white oak stake but Cassidy was quick to grab his wrist before he could, siphoning from him.

"Drop it. Now."

So, Damon winced in pain and loosened his grip on the stake, dropping it to the ground. The second that Rebekah hurried to pick it up, Cassidy let go of Damon's wrist. Damon rubbed his wrist, trying to soothe it as he turned to Cassidy.

"You are a lot meaner than you used to be."

"Yeah? And whose fault is that?"

"It's not mine! It's Ric's!"

But before Cassidy could retort, someone started firing wooden bullets through the window. Damon managed to escape but Rebekah was shot in the heart with an arrow and temporarily died. A deputy stormed into the room with a syringe, piercing it into Cassidy's neck as the siphoner began to go limp.

"Why does this keep happening to me?" And Cassidy was out.

---

A black van was being escorted by two police cars; one in front and one in back. Inside the van, Rebekah woke up; Caroline was sitting beside her and watching her. Rebekah struggled to get out of the ropes tying her down.

"Vervain ropes." Caroline spoke. "Looks like Alaric outed us all to the Council."

"The Council? What exactly do they think they can do to me?" Rebekah scoffed, then looked around. "Wait, where's Cassidy? Where is she?!"

"Cassie?" Caroline's eyes widened at the mention of her sister. "I didn't know that they got to her, too... b-but she's not a vampire! Th-they wouldn't kill her, would they?!"

Both Caroline and Rebekah felt an immense amount of worry for the siphoner's life, wherever she was, but suddenly, the wheels of the van started to screech. The van flipped over, causing Caroline and Rebekah to go flying, and the van landed on its side. The two girls were fine, but in shock.