14 - I won't let you

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 14 (2x20)
Word Count: 1726

Cassidy lay flat on her back on her temporary bed in the Gilbert spare room. She'd came by the night before after her fight with Klaus, asking Jenna if she could spend the night, but way too many things were clouding her mind.

Her fight with Klaus, the ritual happening tonight, Jenna being in such an awful state.

Jenna... the best friend who hadn't said a word to Cassidy all morning. Only a vague 'hey' when they saw each other in the kitchen to get coffee and breakfast.

Jenna... the best friend who finally realised how different the world had been. And on the day of the ritual, too.

Flashback - The night before

"Jen?" Cassidy repeatedly knocked on the door, a bag slung over her shoulder. "You home? Jenna, I know you're here! Your bedroom light is on. Come on, please open up!"

But it took another few minutes. Cassidy was about to walk away until the door swung open. Jenna stood there, mascara slightly runny, eyes red, face puffy, cheeks damp with tears, hair tousled. Concern washed over the blonde siphoner.

"Hey, what happened? Are you alright?!"

"Please go away... I want to be alone."

"What? Why?"

"You're all liars! All of you!"

"Jen..." Cassidy frowned in confusion. "Please talk to me. I..." She sighed. "I have no where to sleep tonight. I was hoping I could spend it here."

"Go back to your own house!"

"Caroline is constantly inviting Matt over since our mom is always at work nowadays. It'll be awkward for me. Why won't you let me in?" Cassidy wondered with a frown.

"Elena told me everything, Cassidy! She... she told me about Damon, and Stefan, and Klaus, and Caroline, and Elijah, and Bonnie, and you--"

"I get it. I get it..." Cassidy whispered, her whole body deflating in defeat. She always wished she'd be the one to tell Jenna about what she was. They'd been best friends since Cassidy was ten and Jenna was sixteen. It started off as a babysitter relationship, but grew into a strong friendship once Cassidy got old enough. "Jenna, you were never meant to find out this way--"

"Are you sure you were ever going to tell me?!" Jenna yelled, still peaking out from behind the door nervously. "You're a witch, Cassidy! A literal witch, and you never thought to mention it?! Ever?!"

"There was never a good time!"

"You had all the time in the world! You've had nine years to at least hint at it, but you never did. You just thought we could go on as best friends like normal, as if you weren't a bloody witch!"

"Please keep your voice down..." Cassidy advised, glancing nervously at the houses nearby. "Can we please just go inside and talk? I'll explain everything, I promise."

"I don't want an explanation. I want you to go away." Jenna went to slam the door in her face but Cassidy was quick to stop her.

"I'm not a full witch, Jenna!" She tried to stop herself from cringing after she called herself a witch. She had bigger things to worry about. "I only get magic when I borrow it from other magical species. Right now, I have no magic. Until I siphon some from someone else, I am basically just an ordinary human."

"You... you have no magic... right now?" Jenna faltered at that, opening the door a few inches wider so she could peer further around it.

"No, nothing. I promise. I only siphon magic when it's absolutely necessary..." Cassidy reassured. She tried to fight a smile when she saw Jenna visibly calm down and open the door a little wider.