50 - He's better off dead

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 50 (4x12)
Word Count: 1651

Cassidy was on the phone to Hayley, who was still on her quest to learn more about her family.

"So, where are you now? Tokyo? Ooh, what about Paris?"

On the other end of the phone, Hayley chuckled in amusement.

"Close. New Orleans."

"Wait, seriously? It's been a goal of mine to go there for years! How are the parties? The music?"

"It's all incredible. New Orleans is definitely a loud and festive city. Maybe one day, I'll take you."

"I'd love that. How long are you staying?"

"I only got here late last night so it might be about a week or two."

"Sounds fun. Enjoy New Orleans, and update me if you find any of your family. I could talk to you for hours, but I'm getting another call. I'll call you back later, okay?"

"Okay. Which one of your mates misses your attention?"

"How'd you know it was another one of my mates calling?"

"A feeling. So, which?"

"Kol."

"Well, I'll let you speak to Kol, and we'll talk later. I love you, babe."

"I love you, too. Bye!" Hanging up, Cassidy answered the next call that was coming through, raising the phone back to her ear. "Hey, baby."

"Cassidy, baby, I need your help."

"My help? With what?"

"The doppelgänger and her hunter brother are trying to kill me."

"Wait, what? Kol, where are you?"

"I'm almost at their house. They can't kill me if I kill them first."

"No! Kol, baby, don't go after them! This is so dangerous!"

"I have to protect myself, my siblings, and you. That hunter needs to go. The doppelgänger will just have to be collateral damage."

"Kol, don't!"

"Too late, I'm here. I'm going to need your magic, though. Mind giving your favourite mate a hand?"

"I'll be there soon! Just don't go into--" A beep was heard, followed by silence. "Kol? Baby? Damn it!" Throwing her phone to the ground, Cassidy jumped to her feet, rushing to the door and throwing it open.

"Cassidy?" Elijah vamp sped up to her, laying a gentle hand on her shoulder, his concerned eyes scanning her frightened features. "Is something wrong, darling?"

"It's Kol! He's in trouble. Please call Nik and Bekah!"

---

Cassidy was paralysed in her spot, the reflection of the flames before her evident in her crystal eyes. She'd wished she'd gotten there earlier... she'd wished she hadn't had to witness the worst thing possible in her life... she'd wished she didn't feel the sting on her wrist as Kol's name vanished.

Her mate was gone. She watched it. Just in time. She should've gotten there earlier. She could have stopped it. She could have prevented Jeremy Gilbert from driving the white oak stake through Kol's heart, his body igniting in flames as he died. She could have stopped it...

Jeremy looked up, his eyes locking on the three Original siblings and their mate, all paralyzed in shock and grief over the loss of their family. Even Elena looked remorseful, her eyes glued to the ground.