73 - Mommy misses you

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 73 (2x01)
Word Count: 688

Cassidy sighed as she entered the twins' empty nursery, staring at her phone. Only five minutes ago, Rebekah had sent her a message of the twins sleeping, curled in each other's arms.

Bekah
[attachment]
Hope would cry if she was seperated from Leo, and the second I put them in the same crib, this happened! Too cute! ❤️
Missing you so much. I'll call you tonight xx

It made Cassidy's heart ache. She picked up the matching PJ sets that Hayley had gotten her for the twins, smiling down at it as she sat down in the chair placed directly beside the crib.

"I am going to sound really stupid now, talking to an empty room, but..." Cassidy sighed. "I'm a stupid girl, I guess. I haven't seen you in months, munchkins. But from the pictures Bekah has been sending me, you two are getting big! Promise not to walk or talk without me." The heretic paused with a small smile. "You know you guys have completely ruined me, right? I don't sleep, I don't eat... all because of you. Elijah has to drag me out of bed to get me to eat in fear that I'd desiccate. He's silly." Cassidy chuckled. "Gosh, this is dumb. Mommy misses you. I promise that we will all be together again before you know it. We'll be a proper mundane family one day, I promise." She slowly rose to her feet and exited the nursery, the ache in her heart to hold her children only growing.

---

Cassidy rolled her eyes as she strolled through the streets the next morning. After a two-hour long phone call with Rebekah, she had eventually managed to convince Cassidy to get out and do something. So... she decided that the house had been awfully quiet. She was on her way to her favorite record shop to pick up a few CDs. But before she could open the door, she noticed that it was locked, finally picking up on the 'closed' sign.

"Seriously? Why today? My one day out..." Cassidy began grumbling under her breath in frustration, banging her fist on the door, almost shattering it in the process, forgetting how strong she was now she was a heretic.

"Are you in a rush?" A voice piped up from behind her. Cassidy span around, slightly startled, to see a young, attractive, brunette man stood there. The second that Cassidy turned to him, her entire forearm where her mate tattoo lay started to tingle as if it was the beginning of pins and needles. She quickly glanced at it to see if anything had changed, but nothing had, despite the tingling feeling still there. The man watched her with a small smirk, his eyes flickering down to her mate tattoo. "Are you alright? You were in a rush, then?"

"Sort of. I haven't really been out and about lately, and the one day that I am..." Cassidy trailed off, geaturing to the sign on the door. The man let out an amused laugh, showing a set of pearly white teeth as he held out his hand towards her.

"I'm Kaleb."

"Cassidy." The heretic shook his hand with a friendly smile.

"Wow. Cool name!" Kaleb grinned at her. "You must have been a real smart one in school then. 'Cassidy' technically means 'The Clever One'."

"Well, I'm flattered that you seem to know so much about my name, but it wouldn't apply to me. I was held back two years, and then in my last year at that school, I flunked half of my Senior year. I think they let me graduate just to get rid of me." Cassidy joked. Another laugh emitted from Kaleb.

"I love your humor. I would love to hear more. Will I see you around? Perhaps get to hear another story?"

"I guess the future will tell." Cassidy shrugged. "It was nice meeting you, Kaleb." She then turned and walked off.

---

Short one tonight since I haven't posted in a few days and I felt bad, but school started back up today so I'm exhausted.