51 - Are you pregnant with my child?

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 51 (1x01)
Word Count: 2959

It had been three days since Cassidy had gotten to New Orleans. She was still thinking of Kol multiple times through each day, and when she wasn't thinking about him, she was throwing up in practically every bathroom available in the city, constantly reassuring Hayley that it was nothing serious and was probably due to grief, but that didn't quite convince Hayley, who ended up suggesting that the two mates needed to let loose and have a little fun together for the day. Hayley introduced Cassidy to a bar in the centre of town called Rousseau's. It was a small little bar but Cassidy could already tell that she was going to like it.

"Jane-Anne!" Hayley smiled at the bartender, leaning over the bar to hug her. "I told you about my mate, didn't I? Well, this is her! Cassidy, this is the first friend that I made when I arrived in town, Jane-Anne." Hayley then dropped her voice to a whisper. "She's also a super skilled witch. She's been eager to know about your siphoning abilities."

"And hopefully, I'll get the chance to tell you." Cassidy smiled a small smile at Jane-Anne, holding her hand out to her. "It is nice to meet you, Jane-Anne."

"You, too, Cassidy." Jane-Anne smiled and took the blonde's hands, but froze when their hands met, instantly retracting it as if she was burnt. Cassidy and Hayley both watched Jane-Anne for a few seconds, concerned, until the talented witch awkwardly cleared her throat. "Um, drinks? On me?"

"Ooh, in that case, make it a double." Hayley grinned cheerfully, but as Cassidy scanned the bottles behind the far, she began to feel queezy just at the sight of them, politely shaking her hand.

"No, I'm fine, thank you. I'll just have a water please."

"Understandable, in your condition." Jane-Anne muttered as if trying to speak quietly, but Cassidy still heard, frowning in confusion.

"I'm sorry, my condition?"

"Hm? Oh, it's nothing." Jane-Anne smiled convincingly, turning to make Hayley's drink and handing Cassidy her glass of water. Once Hayley was given her drink, she took a sip — cringing at the bitter taste slightly — and cleared her throat, changing the subject.

"Cassidy and I were asking around the Quarter about my family... and nothing. Zero. We can't find a single person who remembers them."

"Because, Hayley, people like you were run out of here years ago." Jane-Anne informed, as mysterious as ever. It was Hayley's turn to frown in confusion.

"What do you mean, people like me?"

Jane-Anne walked around the bar to the other side to stand in between Cassidy and Hayley, setting a map down on the bar in front of the three of them.

"In the bayou, they call the werewolves 'Roux-Ga-Roux'." She circled a point on the map. "You guys head out there, you'll find what you're looking for. Be careful. It's the last place you'd ever want to go." Jane-Anne rested a hand on Cassidy's back but turned towards Hayley instead to speak to her, confusing the siphoner as to why Jane-Anne was touching her without even addressing her.

Hayley, took the map, nodding at Jane-Anne with a smile, before glancing at Cassidy, who was holding her stomach as if she was about to throw up again.

"Come on, babe, let's give this place a try. And then later, we are definitely booking a doctor's appointment for you. Okay?"

"Fine." Cassidy sighed, slowly standing up. The two mates left the bar, hand in hand.

Jane-Anne sighed and, once she was sure the mates had left, she turned to face her sister, Sophie, who stood in the corner of the restaurant after eavesdropping in on the whole conversation. The two sisters, Jane-Anne and Sophie, exchanged serious glances, and Jane-Anne held up her hand, revealing several strands of Cassidy's hair wrapped around her fingers.