77 - I will not watch you die again

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 77 (2x05)
Word Count: 2234

Cassidy was reading a book in the armchair while Davina slept, occasionally glancing up to smile at her mate's sleeping form, until she heard voices outside. Her curiosity took over and she stood up to go investigate. She hid behind the door to eavesdrop, realising that the voices belonged to Klaus and Kaleb/Kol.

"You seem to have crossed continents to order to weasel your way into Cassidy's good graces, thereby meddling in my family business and my mate's life." Klaus smiled. "Strange, isn't it?" Kaleb/Kol smirked but didn't respond, which seemed to confirm Klaus' suspicions. "Unless it's your family business and your mate, too. You know, ever since my mother and Finn, I was wondering when you might make an appearance... Kol." Cassidy's eyes widened, her heartrate increasing by a lot. It was Kol? No, she refused to believe it. It seemed the increase in her heartrate caught Klaus' attention, causing him to just about notice her peaking from behind the door. Klaus smirked. "This conversation isn't exactly private any more. You can come out now, love."

Slowly, Cassidy walked out so she stood in the doorway. Kol turned towards her, his eyes widening. Cassidy didn't like seeing him like that... he wasn't him. Kol wasn't sporting his original face that she'd grown to love. The face of Kaleb that stared back at her had Cassidy thinking of him only as a friend, and she feared that it was how she'd continue to see him until Kol returned to his original body.

"Baby..." Kol whispered now that Cassidy knew who he really was. Klaus excused himself to head outside and let Cassidy and Kol talk. Kol opened his arms, expecting Cassidy to run into his arms and hug him, but she didn't. She stayed still, nervously scratching at her arm. Kol frowned in confusion. "Baby, what's wrong?"

"You're not you..." Cassidy whispered quietly. "I want you."

"What do you mean? Of course I'm m--" But Kol was cut off by Cassidy's hand shooting up to cover her mouth. While Kol watched her in concern, Cassidy span around and rushed back inside to the bathroom, kneeling over the toilet and throwing up all of the food in her system. Kol hurried in and knelt down beside her, rubbing her back. "What happened? Are you alright? Are you sick?"

"I probably just ate something bad. I'm fine." Cassidy reassured, wiping her mouth and flushing the toilet. Klaus soon entered the bathroom and his eyes held concern at Cassidy's condition.

"Are you alright, love?"

"Fine." Cassidy slowly stood up again. "All better."

"Alright..." Klaus murmured, a little cautiously, still slightly worried. "It seems your friend, Camille, has been taken by Mikael, love. He somehow managed to pry Papa Tunde's blade out of his dark, dead chest."

"What?" Cassidy's eyes widened. "We have to go find her!"

"We haven't finished talking." Kol muttered. Cassidy shot him an incredulous look.

"Finding Cami is more important than a catch-up, Kol. You just stay here with Vina... wait for her to wake up, and then tell her to track me with a locator spell. I could use her help with a few spells to take down Mikael." And with that, Cassidy vamp sped off, Klaus quickly following after her. Kol sighed sadly, retreating back inside.

---

Cassidy and Klaus had just made it to where Cami and Mikael had stopped earlier. Cassidy saw a smear of blood on a nearby tree, pointing it out to Klaus, and they followed it, which led them to the 'Hillbilly Halloween' bonfire. When they got there, they found all of the party-goers standing completely still and silent in their masks, presumably compelled by Mikael to speak for him.