78 - This child is safe

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 78 (2x06)
Word Count: 2027

A/N: Thank you so much for 100K views, guys!! I love you all so much and I couldn't have made it without you! ❤️
-L xx

---

Cassidy was once again leaning over the toilet, emptying her stomach while Hayley rubbed her back.

"Are you sure you are alright? This is very worrying, babe." Hayley muttered in concern. Cassidy sighed and wiped her mouth, flushing the toilet and rising to her feet. She shot Hayley a small smile.

"I am perfectly fine, I promise. Thank you, I'll see you later." Kissing Hayley, Cassidy then walked off, eventually arriving at Klaus' bedroom. The second she entered, Klaus' worried gaze snapped to her.

"I heard you were feeling under the weather. I could take you to the nearest doctor's."

"I'm fine, Nik, I promise." Cassidy chuckled. "You seem stressed. What's up?"

"I suspect my mother had Elijah captive." Klaus announced.

"I'll kill that bitch." Cassidy growled, feeling the overwhelming protectiveness over her mate, the previous topic of her sickness now forgotten... but the concerning subject was still somewhere in Klaus' mind. He was worried for his mate's wellbeing. "Let's go find them."

"Esther is too powerful. She won't be easily found. I need to draw her out." Klaus replied. "But we'll try our best. I'm going to change my shirt, and then we're going to find Elijah."

---

Cassidy and Klaus were in the middle of digging up Esther's grave where she was buried at the old, burnt-out Plantation. As Cassidy pulled her coffin out of the ground, Klaus began to douse the coffin in gasoline.

"Are you watching this, Mother? Nothing says "I loathe you" quite like desecrating a corpse!" Klaus yelled out into the trees before turning to smirk at Cassidy. "Do you have the lighter, love?"

"Duh." With a grin, Cassidy pulled out the lighter and lit it, but before she could drop it on the coffin, she and Klaus both heard a familiar voice call out to them.

In shock, Cassidy and Klaus turned to see Elijah on the other end of the yard, walking toward the plantation house. Confused and a bit suspicious, Cassidy and Klaus followed him.

Inside, Elijah started to tap the keys of the burnt-up piano as his brother and his mate slowly approached him. Elijah smiled at them.

"You two seem troubled. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were worried."

"What has she done to you?" Cassidy whispered in surprise. Elijah shrugged with a smirk.

"A thousand years of murder and mayhem, and Mother believes she can still save our souls. She wants to talk. Perhaps we should listen?"

Klaus smiled for a moment before angrily picking up a piece of overturned furniture and throwing it at Elijah.

"Enough!" The furniture passed right through Elijah and he disappeared, revealing that he was only an illusion. "The petty illusions, Esther! Where is Elijah?"

Suddenly, Lenore/Esther appeared behind them.

"He's preoccupied at the moment. I'm helping him find his way. But, not to worry, I'll return him to you. All I ask is that you hear me out."

"You expect me to sit through a sermon of your lies?" Klaus rolled his eyes.

"I have lied in the past, to my shame. But, I'm going to tell you the truth. I'm in the process of making Elijah into the man he was meant to be. And, I intend to do the same for you." Esther stated. She then seemed to sense something. "What is that? That power? There is something powerful very near." Her eyes locked on Esther. "Ah. Cassidy Forbes. You are a Heretic now, I see. But the magic is not seeping out of you. It is something else. It's coming from--"