75 - You mean you don't recognize me?

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 75 (2x03)
Word Count: 2048

In the courtyard, Hayley was munching on an array of fruit and other breakfast food when Cassidy and Klaus came down the stairs, hand in hand, to join her.

"So, which restaurant's missing a compelled chef?" Hayley asked the two of them.

"It's certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this." Klaus shrugged with genuine confusion, the two turning their gazes to Cassidy, who shook her head.

"Marcel has only just taught me how to compel. I wouldn't waste my first compulsion on a bloody chef. Maybe it was 'Lijah."

Speak of the devil. Elijah returned to the compound and joined them in the courtyard. He looked confused when he heard their conversation and noticed the breakfast spread in front of them.

"This wasn't my doing..."

"Then, where did this all come from?" Hayley frowned on confusion.

The silver lid on the platter suddenly began to rattle, which startled the four of them. Klaus looked uneasy and lifted the platter, which released two starlings that flew up toward the ceiling, causing the four to reflexively duck to avoid being hit. They all looked puzzled and nervous.

"What the hell was that?" Cassidy murmured in shock. Klaus reached for the invitation and opened it. It read:

Dinner, Your Home, 8PM
The mate is to attend

"An invitation from our mother." Klaus announced. Cassidy's eyebrows furrowed in shock and confusion.

"Since when was your mother back from the dead?"

"We have a lot to explain to you, love." Klaus chuckled, turning towards his mate.

---

Klaus stared at the invitation while he stood on the balcony overlooking the French Quarter. He eventually turned to head back into his bedroom, where Cassidy was laying flat on Klaus' bed.

"It is times like this I really wish I never knew your mother. She was always a pain. I mean, she literally forced Alaric to become an Original and then didn't bother with him after that."

"Yes, she is certainly a pain." Klaus nodded in agreement. "We have enough enemies here. And now, the war for our home is to be fought against my own family."

"Your wretched mother and her disciples tried to put a carving knife through both of our babies' hearts. I will happily add to the body count." Cassidy offered, causing Klaus to send her a smile of amusement.

---

Elijah and Klaus were both wearing fancy suits while Cassidy just stuck to a nice blouse and leggings. They were preparing for dinner with Esther in the dining room.

"Are these outfits really necessary?" Klaus grumbled, annoyed.

"Aw, you look adorable in your suit, trying to be all fancy for your mom." Cassidy teased, pinching Klaus' cheek, causing him to flush in embarrassment.

"Appearance is a way of showing respect, Niklaus. Mother will be more likely to surrender her true intentions." Elijah told, watching Cassidy and Klaus in amusement.

"Well, I doubt her guard will drop just 'cause I'm dressed like a bloody lawyer." Klaus shot back. Elijah started to light the candles.

"We need every advantage we can get, Niklaus."

"You always did excel in diplomacy. Just know, if she tries anything, I'll tear her new body to pieces." Klaus smirked. Moments later, Vincent/Finn entered the room and laughed dramatically at their conversation.