36 - Get the humans ready

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 36 (3x20)
Word Count: 1127

After Kol and Elijah had no interest in going to the 20s Decade Dance at school, Cassidy instead just decided to attend with Klaus and Rebekah. Dressed in their 20s attire (Rebekah allowed Cassidy to look through her old clothing from 100 years ago), the two originals and one siphoner walked into the school, entering the Decade Dance.

Cassidy spotted Caroline and Tyler laughing and dancing nearby. The siphoner smiled and glanced at Rebekah and Klaus.

"I'll be right back. Just going to say hey to Caroline."

Rebekah and Klaus nodded, so Cassidy hurried over as fast as she could in heels. Tyler noticed her approaching first.

"Oh, hey, Cass."

"Hey, Ty. It's been a while." Cassidy smiled. "Hey, Care."

"Hi, Cassie." Caroline pulled Cassidy into a hug. "You look stunning."

Cassidy's 1920s outfit:

"Thank you!" Cassidy smiled cheerfully, glancing down at her cocktail dress

"Thank you!" Cassidy smiled cheerfully, glancing down at her cocktail dress. "You do, too."

"Thanks." Caroline twirled in her pretty red dress. Moments later, Klaus walked over, but he wasn't looking at Cassidy. His eyes were fixed on Tyler.

"Where've you been, mate?"

"I just got back in town." Tyler informed nervously, unable to meet Klaus' eyes. The original hybrid smirked in amusement.

"That's funny, I don't recall giving you permission to leave in the first place. But we have plenty of time to discuss your suspicious whereabouts. For now... love." Klaus held his hand out towards his mate. "Fancy a dance?"

"One won't hurt." Cassidy smiled, taking Klaus' hand. She waved goodbye to Caroline and Tyler before allowing Klaus to lead her towards the dance floor.

"You would've loved the 1920s. The girls were reckless, sexy, fun."

"Are you saying I'm not reckless, sexy, and fun?" Cassidy teased. Klaus chuckled quietly, twirling the siphoner around and pulling her back to him, his arm winding itself around her waist and holding her close.

"You are all of the above." His voice was merely a whisper by Cassidy's ear. "It is what makes me so lucky to be able to hold you like this."

"Cassidy! Nik!" A voice called. Cassidy and Klaus turned to see Rebekah hurrying through the crowd of dancing students, her eyes panicked as she finally reached the two. "Mother's here."

"So the witch finally shows her face." Klaus rolled his eyes. "Take us to her."

"That's the thing. I only found out by eavesdropping on the Salvatores. Mother took Elena someplace and we have no way of finding either of them." Rebekah stated, glancing between Klaus and Cassidy. "There is a line of salt out front, acting as a barrier so all vampires are trapped in the school until sunrise."

"Then I'll go. I can siphon a bit of magic from one of you, enough to do a locater spell, or I can just get Bonnie to do one for us! I can find Esther, guys." Cassidy volunteered, but both Klaus and Rebekah made their reluctance known by shaking their heads.

"You are mated to us. Our mother will kill you upon first glance." Klaus informed. "Come on. We need a word with those brothers."

---

Later, in a classroom after the mates had found the Salvatore brothers, they had all gathered, along with Bonnie and Jeremy. Several candles were lit and, after siphoning some magic from the Bennett witch, Cassidy and Bonnie were chanting the same spell, their hands clasped in each other's as they worked together to try and take down the boundary spell that the salt created. Matt then walked in.

"People are walking right out of the dance, past the barrier."

"Matt and I can leave, we can stop Esther ourselves. We just gotta find out where she is." Jeremy pointed out. Cassidy stopped chanting for a split second to glance over at Jeremy.

"Absolutely not, Jeremy! It's suicide!"

"Cass, we have to keep going." Bonnie spoke. Cassidy sighed and nodded, continuing the chanting.

---

It was just Cassidy and Bonnie alone in the classroom. Bonnie grabbed a map from the wall and put it on the teacher's desk and turned on the table lamp. Cassidy walked closer, glancing down at the map.

"Esther's strong, Bonnie. We're going to need to fight back to figure out her location." Cassidy pointed out. "Meaning we both need to be at top strength. I'll have to never break contact with the siphoning."

"Got it. I can handle a little siphoning, Cass." Bonnie reassured. Cassidy smiled at her.

"That is what makes you one of the strongest people I know, Bon."

Only mere seconds later, Klaus and Damon walked in.

"Where's Bekah?" Cassidy asked Klaus, who walked closer with her.

"Gone with Stefan to wait by the salt barrier. They'll be ready for when it drops." Klaus said. Damon then walked over to Bonnie and handed her a vial.

"Here. Jeremy made a little Gilbert blood donation for your locator spell."

So, Bonnie poured the blood onto the map. She held her hand towards Cassidy, who took it, their joined hands glowing orange as Cassidy began to siphon. Bonnie winced slightly, but due to Cassidy reducing the pain of the siphoning as much as she could, Bonnie realised that she had been through worse and pushed through it. Together, Cassidy and Bonnie began chanting.

"Phasmatos Tribum Nas Ex Veras, Sequita Saguines, Ementas Asten Mihan Ega Petous." The blood then formed a circular pool that didn't move.

"I told you Esther would fight us." Cassidy told Bonnie, trying to push through the block in the spell, but Esther was too powerful.

"Esther couldn't possibly have this much power. Unless she's channeling something." Klaus realised. Cassidy's eyes darted to him, brows furrowing in confusion.

"A hotspot?"

"Get the humans ready." Klaus demanded to Damon. "I know where she is."

---

"We did it." Cassidy smiled once the candles died down. She released Bonnie's hand. "The barrier's down." She then noticed the Bennett witch rubbing her hands together and frowned in concern. "I'm so sorry! I tried to make it hurt less!"

"It's okay, I'm fine." Bonnie reassured with a small smile. "Come on, let's go tell the others."

So, Cassidy and Bonnie walked out. They saw Klaus, Rebekah, Stefan, and Damon all impatiently waiting by the line of salt.

"It's done. Esther's not fighting us any more. The boundary spell is broken." Bonnie told. Klaus tested the boundary with his arm, and seeing Bonnie's words were correct, rushed away.

"Head back to the house. I called Elijah, he and Kol are waiting for your return. Nik and I will handle our mother." Rebekah told her girlfriend, kissing Cassidy's forehead before rushing off after Klaus.

Cassidy sighed and decided not to bother going after them. She was tired. She was definitely ready to call it a night.