070. finding dean

"Who goes to Duluth in October? Sure Michael didn't touch down in Orlando?" Bobby asks.

"Jo was pretty specific. Duluth." Mary says.

"Yeah, well, angels ain't exactly known for their veracity." Bobby says. Mary clears her throat, looking behind Bobby who turns to see Cas walk in. "No offense." He tells the angel.

"None taken. I tend to agree with you." Cas says.

"Here you go." Mary puts a gun next to Sam on the table. "Hey, what's that?" She asks, looking at the laptop.

"So I've been searching through police reports in Duluth. Cops just turned up a pile of corpses that was dumped near some train tracks just north of town and their eyes were burnt out." Sam says.

"So Michael. We should go now." Cas says.

"No. This isn't just Michael we're talking about." Sam says.

"It's Dean." Bobby says.

"Yeah. Cas, you know why you can't come with us, right?" Sam asks.

"My angelic presence would be sensed by Michael, thereby nullifying your hopes of a sneak attack." Cas says.

"Yeah, sorry." Sam says.

"And, you need me to stay here and babysit Nick, Jack, and Athena." Cas says.

"It's not babysitting, Cas." Sam says.

"Actually, with Athena it is." Larissa says.

"Only in the sense that two of them are not infants, but they both have to be supervised. Jack is lost without his grace, Nick is... he's just a mess. And Athena is an infant, so therefore, she does indeed need the supervision."

"Well, it-it's not his fault. Cas, Nick was housing, you know. He-he deserves a shot at rebuilding his life." Sam defends.

"And yet every time I look at him, all I can see is the supreme agent of evil." Cas remarks.

"You talking about my dad again?" Jack asks, walking in. "Look, I understand. Being around Nick -- it's hard for me, too."

"Uh, Jack, we're going to need you to sit this mission out. Not a permanent thing." Mary promises.

"I know last time I sucked when it mattered, and I need to improve. So... that's what I'm gonna do." Jack says.

"All right. Okay. Let's move." Sam says.

+++

The coroner pulls out one of the drawers that holds one of the victims.

"These are just some of the victims. More are in the hall, a couple in a store room... we don't usually see this kind of action in Duluth." The coroner says.

"The injuries all pretty uniform?" Mary asks.

"Yep. The boys upstairs think maybe we're looking at a spree killer." The coroner says.

"If they were DOA, you have an ETA on TOD? Any sample DFA?" Bobby asks. Sam clears his throat. "DNA?" He corrects.

"Uh, frankly we don't even know the precise cause of death. I mean, there were the neck wounds, of course, but there was also considerable internal trauma, so--" The coroner stops as his phone rings. "Excuse me."

"Yeah. Sure." Sam says and the coroner leaves. "DFA?"

"I've been fighting a fuckin' apocalypse for 15 years. My FBI might be a little rusty." Bobby says.

"Fair point." Larissa mumbles.

"All right." Sam says.

"Let's give them a quick once over, see what they missed." Mary says. They each put on gloves, inspecting the bodies.