Chapter 80 || Intervention

Lukas POV*

I waited for a while. If I hadn't known where he was I probably wouldn't be so worried. But those few minutes, which felt like hours, were agonizing, to say the least.

Eventually, I heard the sound of the backdoor opening and close. And I knew he was back. I didn't get up. Because I knew he would be stopped by Aubrey before he even had the chance to make his way over to me

I laid on my bed as I listened to the muffled sounds of Aubrey questioning him.

Even though I couldn't hear what they were saying, I knew he was lying to them

A few minutes after that I heard footsteps again. As they got closer I felt my heart beat faster.

I didn't want to talk about what I saw. Because I didn't want it to be true. I wish I could just ignore what I saw and forget about it

But I couldn't do that.

What he was doing, it was dangerous. At least if I were to believe what Marc and his mother said about it.

And next to that, I was angry. And I needed to talk to him about it.

A small part of me wanted him to feel bad. Feel guilty about lying.

But mostly, I wanted to help him... he has a problem and if no one is there to step in at the right time he won't ever be able to stop.

The floor opened and he entered the room. I didn't get up, I listened as he walked up to the bed.

"Everything alright?" He asked.

"Yeah-" I answered, sitting up.

"Aubrey said you were here, I was a little worried."

"I'm fine, I just got tired," I said, not looking at him.

It got quiet for a second as I thought about how to start.

"Where did you go earlier?" I asked. He looked down at me confused.

"I just- went to clear my head-" he lied.

"Is that what you told them?" I shot back irritated. "What do you mean?"

"You weren't just 'clearing your head' were you?" I sighed.

"I dint know what you're-"

"I saw you." I looked up to meet his eyes.

At first, he looked confused, but he soon realized what I meant and his expression turned to fear.

"How did you-" he asked, stumped for words.

"When I noticed you trying to leave the church I followed you," I explained. "I saw everything."

He stayed quiet as the realization dawned on him. He looked away, not saying a word.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"You don't understand-" he tried, but I was having none of it.

"No, I don't!" I stood up. "But if you told me I could at least try to understand," I said back angrily. "I told you I wanted to help you, but I can't do that if you won't let me!"

He let out a sigh and sat down. "You're right, I'm sorry." He gave in.

I sat back down next to him, listing to what he had to say. He looked down onto his lap, holding g his hands.

"I just didn't want to burden you with all of this. You have enough going on yourself." He said.

"We talked about this- you could never be a burden to me," I said back.

"I know- I just-" he let out a sigh.

I stayed quiet waiting for him to speak again. After a few minutes of, somewhat uncomfortable, silence, he started explaining everything.

"After that first time, drinking live blood, the effects did go away. But not long after that, I started hearing a voice. It kept telling me to do it again. I tried my best to ignore it but whatever I did it wouldn't go away.

Sometimes it would get quieter but the smallest things would make it scream, and one day I lost control. I did it again, o drank blood again.

I hated every part of it. But the voice was finally gone.

I hoped that was the end of it. And for a while, it seemed like it was.

But then the voice came back. But this time it was even louder, so loud it was starting to hurt.

I tried again to ignore it, but I just couldn't do it. And so I did the only thing that would quiet the voices." He explained.

I listen carefully to his whole story. I started to understand why he did it. But I still felt angry about the fact that he hid all of it from me.

"I should've noticed this sooner." I sighed.

"Don't blame yourself," he stopped me. "I should've just told you."

I let out a sigh. "Well, I'm just glad I found out now. Now I can help you." I wrapped my arm around him and pulled him closer.

He was quiet.

"So what I'm hearing is all I have to do is make sure the voice goes away," I asked.

"I'm not sure it will ever go away." He sighed.

"Maybe not, but we can still try and find a way to ignore it." I tried to cheer him up.

"I hope so." He said back.

"Until we do I won't let you out of my sight." I smiled as I pulled him even closer to me. "So I can make sure you don't sneak out to drink blood ever again."

"But what if I get hurt?" He asked. "Well, that's why you have the bags right?" I asked. "Right..." he said softly.

We both got quiet as he sat there.

"Hey?" I whispered. He did his best to look at me from writhing my grasp.

"If the voice ever gets painful again, tell me, okay?" I asked. He nodded as he looked down again.

"I'll find a way to make it go away," I added.

"As long as your plan isn't 'kiss me if you feel the urge" he joked.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Well, we haven't exactly tried that-" I smirked.

Is couldn't see his face but I could tell he was blushing.

"So far it's only had the opposite effect." I heard him say.

"What do you mean?" I let go of him to look at his face. He was bright red at this point and avoided my eyes.

"Nothing-" he said quickly. "It's fine."

I leaned in, wanting to tease him a little. "So maybe kissing isn't enough-" I smirked.

His face turned redder than I thought possible. I let out a laugh as I pulled him back into a hug. He instantly hid his face in my chest.

"In just kidding." I laughed. "Will find a way."