Chapter 91 || No Other Choice

Isaac POV*

Shocked I took a step back. "What?! Why- How?" I stuttered. I couldn't believe it.

"I'm really sorry, it's just, dad was getting worse, and the money- I don't know what came over me-" She frantically tried to explain. I stared at her in silence.

"Wait so you-?" Lukas joined in. But She didn't look at him, she stayed focused on me as she tried to tell her reasons.

"I didn't want to do it at all, but when dad got worse, I thought maybe if we could buy more he would be better. So when I saw you go to that church I-"

"You saw me?" I interrupted. "When did you see me?" I asked.

"A few days ago when I went into the woods to clear my mind, I saw you. I followed you to the church without thinking-" She explained. I looked away angrily, if I hadn't been out that day...

She took a step towards me trying to get me to look at her. "Please Isaac, I never meant to hurt you." She tried.

"You didn't? You sent two hunters with weapons and poison after me? What did you think was gonna happen?" I yelled at her. "Did you really think we were just gonna give in and go with them?" She stayed quiet as she looked at me.

"I didn't mean-"

"Why did you even think this was a good idea? Just because they promised a price?" I added.

She shook her head. "I thought I could help my dad..." She sighed.

"So did they give you the reward?" I asked, a little calmer. "no. they didn't..." She said, tears in her eyes.

"We've offered multiple times to give you a discount. There were other ways to"

"That wouldn't have mattered." She looked up. "He's not gonna make it that long. even with a discount we wouldnt be able to buy much at all... I just wanted him to be better...." By now, tears were streaming down her face and she tried to keep her breath steady.

"I'm sorry. I really am, but I couldn't just sit by and watch him die."

I stared at her quietly as she tried her very best to stop the tears from flowing. "Well, I hope it was worth it," I said as I turned around. She took a step towards me, trying to stop me from leaving, and she grabbed my arm. I pulled it away forcefully. "Leave me alone.."  I said, not looking back at her.

"Wait just let me-"

"I don't want to talk to you right now," I said before walking away. I left the shop and headed to my room.

I dropped down onto my bed. It hurt. I felt betrayed.

I tried my best not to feel it, but the tears already forming in my eyes were making it difficult. I sat up with my head against the wall as I pulled my legs closer to me.

Suddenly I heard the door close behind me, I looked up to see Lukas standing next to my bed, looking down at me worriedly.

"Everything okay?" He asked. I shook my head as I made room for him to sit next to me.

He let out a sigh as he sat down next to me. He wrapped his arm around me, pulling me closer to him. We sat in silence for a while as I tried to get my thoughts together. I wasnt expecting this to happen, and never that it would be Ava who did this. She's my best friend, my only friend. ''

"Are you really not gonna talk to her?" Lukas suddenly asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. "I don't know..." I said, looking down, "I don't know if I want to...." I added, letting out a sigh.

"I understand you're angry right now." He said pulling me even closer. "But she's your best friend"

"Yeah, but what she did isn't okay!" I said, looking up at him. "But she had a good reason..." He tried. I looked at him in disbelief. "Aren't you angry, because of this you got shot, you almost died!"

"No, because of the hunter I almost died." He defended.

"Yeah and if she hadn't told them where we were"

"We would've still fought the hunters, and they're a very high chance I would've gotten shot anyway." He interrupted. I looked away. "We were already on our way to fight them. The only thing that's different is we could prepare as well." he continued.

"I'm not saying what she did was right. I'm pretty angry myself." He looked away. "But I think you should talk to her. She's already going through a lot, she needs a friend." He looked back at me. I dropped my knees slightly, looking back at him.

"i- I'll try." I sighed. he laughed as he lifted his other arm and pulled me into a hug.

I went back downstairs, to see if she was still there, but when I entered the shop it was only my dad.

"What happened?" He asked confused as I walked in completely. "Did she leave?" I asked, avoiding the question. Dad doesn't need to know about all of this.

"Yeah, almost right after you went upstairs? Is everything okay?" He tried again. I nodded. "It's fine..." I said quietly. I guess I'll have to talk to her another time. It would be kind of weird to go after her right away.

I was about to turn around and head back upstairs, there was still a lot to unpack in my room. But before I could dad stopped me.

"So I was thinking..." He started earning my attention. "I still have a lot of piled up work to do and I was wondering-"

"Seriously," I laughed, "I haven't even been back for a day and you already have more chores for me..." I crossed my arms, looking at him.

He let out a laugh as he pulled out a book. "No, I didn't mean that, I meant my work."

I looked up at him confused, and that's when I realized what he meant. "Are you saying I can help with the potions?" I asked excitedly.

he nodded. "I don't see why not, You've certainly proved you can be trusted, and it would be nice to get some help, you not being here made it a lot more difficult to run the shop." He let out a sigh.

I ran around the counter and hugged him. "Thank you- I won't disappoint you," I said.

"I'm sure you won't."He smiled as I let go of him. "Now come on, we have a lot to do." He picked up the book, and after closing the shop for the day he headed to the back, with me following.