Chapter 19 || Alone Together

Isaac POV*

So now we were alone. Together. Why was this so nerve-wracking suddenly? We've been alone before. Is it just because I've realized my feelings? We sat in the living room- well I was sitting, Lukas stood at the window. I decided to try some small talk, I couldn't stand the silence anymore.

"So- your sister..." I started. "She can be pretty intense huh?" Lukas let out a laugh before turning around. "Yeah, she can." He smiled. "I'm just glad she's back." He walked over and sat next to me. "What do you mean, back?" I asked carefully. I let out an awkward laugh. "Well it's a long story but I thought I'd never see her again," he said, a sad smile on his face.

"I see" was the only thing I knew what to say. "I just didn't expect the first thing she did was try and fight me." He laughed. I smiled at him. "You must be really happy, I'd do anything to see my mom again..."

Shit- stop no. This is not the time to be sad. "I-I'm sorry..." Lukas apologized. No no no no- you're making it harder on yourself. "I-Its fine- I'm sorry, don't worry about it..." I panicked. "Don't be sorry... If you want to talk about it-" he suggested. "NO!- I mean- no. Not right now..." I looked at him.

He smiled back. There's that feeling again. I brushed it off before my mind could drift again. This was not the time to get distracted, you have a thing to ask... and say...

Lukas moved into his seat, turning towards me "Okay..." he smiled. "So what did you want to show me?" He asked. "Huh? Oh right-" I laughed. The whole situation almost made me forget.

"I made my first official potion today," I said proudly. "Didn't you do that the other day?" He laughed confused. "No that was different." I gave him a playful push. "Oh, it was?" He smirked.

I pulled the bag toward say chest. "Well never mind then, I guess you don't want to see." I joked as I turned away from him. "Okay, I'm sorry." He laughed. "Come on- show me, what did you make?" He smiled as he leaned in, curiously. I put the bag on my lap. "I made a healing potion- or at least that's what it did to the flower..."

"Flower?" He said to himself. I reached into the bag but before I got the potion I saw the ticket I had brought to give to him.. to ask him. I shouldn't forget to do that.

"Did you forget it?" He asked, pulling me from my thoughts. "N-no. It's right here" I laughed embarrassed. I finally pulled the bottle out of the bag, proudly showing him. God, I feel like a child showing their parents my schoolwork...

"Oh wow- that's pretty cool." He admitted taking the potion from my hands. I watched him as he studied it. "I guess walking around all day collecting herbs did pay off, huh? I didn't know you could make things like this from it!" He smiled, handing me the potion back.

"Oh, so that's why you joined me. And here I thought you just liked hanging out with me." I joked. I put the potion back in my bag and turned back to him, he leaned into the couch. "Well, that too." He smiled warmly.

Now's your chance, ask him out "Right- about that-" Ugh that sounded stupid. "I was wondering... they're throwing a festival this weekend and I wanted to ask if you wanted to come... with me" I reached into my bag again and handed him the ticket. He read it before smiling at me. "Yeah, of course, that sounds fun!" He laughed.

I got excited, but also nervous again. This meant that our, as I called it, the date was unavoidable. There was no going back now I let out a sigh of relief, "Were you nervous about asking me?" He laughed.

"N-no I wasn't.." I lied. He had no idea how nervous I was... I looked away embarrassed. "You didn't have to be," he reassured me. "Did you really think I was gonna say no?" He continued. I took a breath and turned to him again. "The thought has crossed my mind yes," I admitted.

He started laughing and leaned his head on his arms staring at me. "I'd never." He smiled. Could feel a blush coming on again. This guy is too much. We stayed quiet for a bit, he kept staring at me.

Maybe I could tell him right now- I was about to try when suddenly the door swing opened and Aubrey stormed back in, looking frustrated. Lukas sat up and turned towards her. "So- what happened?" He asked. She paced up and down the room. "I lost them." She sighed

"Did you see where they were?" Lukas asked. "Well, they weren't heading towards the town. But I have no idea where..." she complained.

I listened to them confused. Why were these men so important to them? "Guess we'll just have to wait until they come back." She asked as she finally stood still. "Why would they come back?" I asked. both of them turned to me. Aubrey looked at me confused. Lukas looked like he wasn't sure what to say. "It's- a long story.." he sighed.

"Maybe it's safer for you to go home." Aubrey joined in. I didn't want to go but I had a feeling that maybe I should. "Yeah... okay" I nodded and got up. Lukas walked me to the door. "I guess I'll see you later?" He smirked, leaning against the door. "Yeah, I smile deforestation turning around and heading back home. "I'm looking forward to the festival!" He yelled after me but I didn't turn around. I could feel his smirk burn again on my back.

On my way home I thought about going by Ava's house to show her my potion as well,  like I told my dad I would. I decided not. And it turned out I didn't have to because when I entered the shop she was waiting for me behind the counter.

"What are you doing here?" I laughed. She was staring at the shelves before noticing me. "There you are- where have you been?" She asked. I went up to the counter and put my bag down. "Out-" I said simply. She looked at me suspiciously. "You were with him again weren't you?" She smirked as she leaned towards me.

I stayed silent as she waited for me to answer. But my silence must've been answer enough for her. "Did you ask him?" She continued. "Ask him what?" I turned away. "To the festival of course!" She laughed, trying to look me in the eyes. "I did." I laughed slightly.

"Hell yeah." She yelled proudly. "That means you're halfway there!" She patted my shoulder encouragingly. "Guess that means I'll have to go buy a ticket as well..." she said as she got up and went around the counter. I looked at her confused. "I assumed you wanted me to come with you." She explained as she grabbed her stuff. I didn't get a chance to answer.

"Well even if you didn't I'm coming anyway..." she said before leaving out the door. Without saying goodbye, leaving me alone again.

I went into the living room and waited for my dad to come home. After dinner, I went up to my room, took a quick shower because I've been in the woods today, and got into bed. I stared at the ticket on my nightstand. The festival was just two days away. Hopefully, everything g will be okay and maybe I'll even get the courage to tell him.