Chapter 8 || Trust

Isaac POV*

I stood next to Ava as I tried to keep my laugh in. She walked up to the trap, which had not caught what she wanted, but instead had gotten to Lukas.

"Why do you keep ruining my plans," she said irritated. Even though he was now upside down, I could see the irritation on his face. "I don't want to be in this situation either." He said, crossing his arms.

"And yet you Are," she said continuing to look at him disapprovingly. I couldn't help but laugh at the situation. I saw Lukas' expression relax as he spotted me.

"Hey, Isaac. Can you help me down please?" He said as he pointed towards the tree branch. "Yeah sure," I laughed before walking past Ava and towards the tree. I noticed she had a suspicious look on he face but I decided to just ignore it. I got up to the tree and climbed it towards the spot where the rope was.

I got out my knife and started to cut the rope. "Ok watch out!" I yelled down towards Lukas. As the rope broke he could just in time catch himself before he would fall face-first into the ground. "You okay?" I asked as I started climbing down. He had turned around, looking up into the tree. "Yup," he sighed.

I walked up to them as he got up and dusted off his clothes. Ava looked at me confused. "You know, you could've just disarmed the trap." She said as she pointed towards the tree where a nail was keeping the now loose rope on the ground. I shrugged. "This was faster." As said, I honestly didn't think about it.

I looked back at Lukas who was just staring at me impressed. "I didn't know you could climb trees that easily." He smirked. "Oh yeah, for sure. I'm pretty strong" I bragged as I posed like I was showing off my nonexistent muscles, which made him laugh.

Ava was still staring at us, now even more suspicious. "Why are you guys suddenly so familiar with each other?" She asked. We both turned towards her. "Oh well, he helped me when I was lost the other day. And also helped me gather some stuff for a potion... " I explained, Lukas just nodded.

Ava shook her head "Why did he have to help you with that?" She looked confused. "Because he knows the woods well," I said.

"So do I.." She said, lowering her arms "Why didn't you just ask me?" She continued. I shrugged. "You weren't there when I got lost, I guess. And he offered to help." I smiled.

She sighed as she walked around us. "Well anyway, now one of my traps is useless" she complained as she picked up to lose rope on the floor.

"Why are you putting up traps anyway?" Lukas asked as we watched her recollect everything. She stopped and looked at him. "For the werewolf." She rolled her eyes. "What else."

"Oh." I looked over and noticed Lukas staring at the rope uncomfortably. "But so far it hasn't caught anything except for you." She sighed as she collected the rest of her stuff. "And now I'm going to have to go home to get a new rope." She walked past us and put the now broken rope into her backpack.

We watched as she continued to put the bag on. She looked at me, waiting for me to say something. I just looked at her confused. She sighed "arent you coming with me?" She asked.

"I-" For a second I didn't know what to say, I knew I probably should, and normally I would. But for some reason, I didn't want to. "Do I have to?" I shrugged.

"Well yeah, I need you to help me get new rope, we need to talk." She glared. I from her to Lukas and back. "Maybe it's better if I stayed here, make sure no more innocent people walk into the traps..." I shrugged.

She looked at me confused. "Wha- why? That's not gonna happen, he's the only one here." She said as she gestured towards him. We could all feel the tension building up. I just didn't want to go, but it looked like I was just gonna have to. I was about to try one more time but Lukas beat me to it.

"I- I might have some rope for you.." he said hesitantly. We both looked at him. "...at my house, I mean," he said, scratching his neck. "What do you mean, your house?" Ava asked confused.

"Yeah, it's not too far. And I feel kind of guilty for destroying your trap." He explained. She stayed quiet for a while. "Ok. Fine." She said simply. I looked at her confused as she walked up to us. "You lead the way" she smiled. Lukas let out a short laugh as he started walking in the other direction.

- - - -

"So how far is this house of yours anyway?" She asked after a few minutes of walking. "It's not that far... only a few more minutes ." He said as he went through some bushes. Ava looked at me and slowed down, putting some space between us and Lukas so we could talk.

"Do you trust him" She whispered. "What... yeah? I do. you don't?" I answered. She shook her head, "he's giving off some weird vibes." She said back. I sighed. "You too?" She looked at me weirdly. "What do you mean, who else?" She asked.

"My dad.." I sighed. She stopped for a second. "He was at your house?!" She asked surprised. "When did that happen?" I shrugged. "It's a long story."

She looked at me suspiciously as she continued walking. "Well I still don't trust him, something feels off" she muttered as she went past me.

We walked for a few more minutes and got to a hill, Lukas's upfront. "We're here." She said as he stopped on top of the hill. Ava quickly got up as well, looking at the house in the distance. "Wait you live here?"