Chapter 75 || Guilt

!!Warning: POV Change Halfway!!

--

Isaac POV*

"So when will you be back again?" Dad asked as he stopped me a final time. As I was about to leave, for longer this time.

"Hopefully when this is all over." I forced a smile. He nodded, taking a step closer to me. He put his hand on my shoulder.

"Just promise me you'll be careful." He said as he turned me around. I smiled back at him, letting go of the door.

"I will, don't worry." I tried to reassure him. He let out a sigh as he let go of me.

I opened the door and started to make my way back to the church for what would, hopefully, be one of the last times. I was extra careful this time as I stuck my way back into the forest.

As I arrived at the church, I went through the front door this time. I wanted to get back inside as soon as possible.

Even though using the back door would be safer. It would take longer and risk me being seen. So after making sure it was safe which, because it was already dark made it difficult to be sure of. Not being able to see much.

But that also meant it was difficult for others to see me as well, especially since there were no lights drawing attention to the church. Not ones you could see from outside, at least.

So after double-checking a final time, I opened the door and quickly got in.

I was quiet, which was to be expected, seeing as it was pretty late, everyone was probably asleep by now.

Well, almost everyone.

As soon as I closed the door behind me I noticed Marc was sitting at his workstation. But he wasn't doing much. He was just kind of sitting there, thinking.

The sound of the door closing startled him, because he suddenly looked up, fully focusing on the source of the sound.

We briefly made eye contact, but when he realized it was, he quickly looked away again.

"Back already, huh?" He commented, still looking down.

I slowly walked up to him. "Sorry, I didn't know how you would still be here." I apologized.

"It's fine," he said as he brought his hand up to his face. "I just wasn't expecting you to be back this early. I thought you would be staying home." He said back.

"I won't be going home anymore," I said back. He looked up at me confused. "At least not until we're done with your plan," I added.

"Oh, right." He looked away again and went quiet. I walked up even closer. Stopping right by the benches in front of him.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked. He nodded reluctantly. "Then why did you run out like that."

"Because-"he looked up, meeting my eyes. "Your mother, I didn't know." He struggled, bringing his hands up to his face.

"You did t know what?" I asked confused.

He let out a sigh, not looking up. "I didn't know she died." He said quietly.

"Oh..." I did t know what to say, I froze as I waited for him to speak again, or until I could come up with something myself. "Look-"

"I'm sorry." He sighed, looking to the floor.

"Sorry? About what?" I asked confused.

"It's all my fault." He shook, his head. I stared at him, not sure what he was saying.