Chapter 77 || Not His Fault

Isaac POV*

"And the rest, you know." He sighed as he finished his story.

I had listened intently, even though I'd already heard it before when dad told me, it felt different coming from Marc.

The way dad told it made either sound like what happened or happened because the moon was up. But there was much more to it.

"Just one thing-" I added after a little silence.

He looked up at me confused.

"I dint see how this makes it your fault, she was fine when you left. Dad was there too, well-" I explained.

He looked away again.

"Well, I didn't know this at the time either," he started. "But I found out later," he let out a sigh,

"Werewolf blood can be poisonous to vampires." He said in a serious tone.

"But she didn't-" I tried, but he cut me off.

"She might not have drunken my blood, but it was my fault it got into her system."

At this point, it was getting more and more obvious that he wouldn't be able to stop blaming himself. Neither mom nor dad ever had bad feelings toward him, all they wanted was for him to get back into their lives, but he didn't.

"That still doesn't mean it was your fault, you didn't do any-"

"If I controlled my emotion better, none of it would've ever happened!" He cut me off again. "There's so much I could've done to avoid all of it but I just-" he stopped himself this time.

I let out a long sigh as I reached into my bag.

"What are you doing?" He asked confused as she waited for me to pull out whatever I was gonna pull out.

"You won't believe what dad or I am trying to tell you, so I'll let her tell you-" I said as I grabbed the journal.

He stared at it in confusion. "What that?"

"This." I started as I looked for the pages I wanted to show him. "Is. Journal my mom wrote for me before she... passed away."

I flipped through the pages until I found what I was looking for. "But the last few weren't for me, as much as they were he thoughts put to paper." I handed him the journal.

"These always felt too personal, and I never fully understood what she meant. But u do now. And I think you should read them." I said as I sat back in my seat.

I watched as Marc carefully read my mother's words.

---

November, 26

It's getting worse. I'm not sure how long I have left at this point.

I'm sorry for reminding you like this, I know this journal was supposed to help you, and reading this would probably have to the opposite effect. But I can't lie to myself anymore, or to you.

For the last few years, I've secretly struggled with this poison in me. I always knew the reason I'm like this, but I never told you or your dad, mostly to protect you.

But also to protect Marc and all werewolves like him.

I know you probably have no idea who Marc even is. Unless, of course, your dad has told you about him. And maybe even what he did.

But if you don't it doesn't matter.

But if you do, I need you to know he did nothing wrong.

If your dad told you the story I'm sure you know all about what happened that night. And how it ended.

But knowing your dad he probably didn't tell you the whole story. And definitely not the part he doesn't even know about.

About a month after that day I started feeling the effects, and I knew almost instantly what had happened.

See, I knew I wouldn't be able to survive having werewolf blood inside me. I knew this for a long time. My parents warned me about it the second I introduced Marc as my friend.

"Whatever happened, don't drink his blood."

And I never did. (Not that he would let me anyway, haha)

But that night there wasn't much any of us could do about it.

I didn't know it had happened until the next full moon, and I quickly realized what was gonna happen to me.

Exactly what my parents warned me about.

The first months it was okay. I was able to come out of it somewhat normal. And control it. Maybe some of that was because I was pregnant with you. My body must've protected you a lot.

Same for the first year. It was fine. Until it wasn't. After a year your dad started noticing something was wrong. And like the witch that he js has started to try and make potions to help me.

And for a long time, he was able to help, and it felt like nothing was wrong. This went on for ten years. After that, it only got worse.

So three months later, were here. I'm stuck in my bed and barely able to move much, and I hate it.

Again. I'm so sorry you had to read this, but you needed to know. And there is one more thing I want you to remember.

It wasn't his fault. It was no one's fault, the only one who could be to blame was me.

I was the only one who knew his true feelings, and the only one who knew he couldn't control them. If I had only told Nigel not to go through with it, it might've ended differently.

But that doesn't matter now. That was then, and there is nothing we can do about the past.

That's why, if you ever, by some weird race, run into him. Run into Marc. I just want you to tell him to let it go.

I know the reason he didn't come back was because of what he thought he did. If he even knows what happened.

So please make sure he knows it's okay. I had a great life, even after what happened.

And I wish I could've talked to him one more time.

---

I wat he'd he read through the pages. I could see tears appear in his eyes as he closed to book again.

"You know- this isn't fair," he said as he gave it back to me. "Using her words against me." He smiled sadly.

"If it's the only way to make you understand, I'm okay with cheering a little." I joked back.

He let out a slight laugh before taking a deep breath.

"Thank you, " he smiled. I nodded.

"You needed to stop blaming yourself. Like we've all said a million times by now, no one blamed anyone." I said.

"Except for themselves." He joked.

"so let's stop that now," I said back