Chapter 36 || Safe

Isaac POV*

I grabbed my bag and quickly headed outside. Today was the day. The day we would be breaking Marc out of prison, I never thought k would do anything like this, ever. But here I am, actually about to do it.

I got out of the house quickly as I could, I told my dad I would be going to Ava today as well, and of course, he didn't mind that. It still made me uncomfortable that he thought we were together, like that. In fact, he couldn't be more wrong. Maybe I should explain that to her as well before she blows my cover.

I would be lying if I said I didn't want to get to the church to check on Lukas. And Aubrey- of course. I'm sure they were fine but I still wanted to be there. I was kind of responsible for them moving to the church. So I wanted to be there.

I walked through town quickly, but I tried not to draw too much attention to myself. I made sure to check the prison. As I thought, only one guard. It didn't look like Marc wanted to escape so I get that he doesn't get much security. If he did one wouldn't nearly be enough, if he's anything like Aubrey...

I walked past the building and silently made my way toward the church. It was still early morning so I could easily sneak in hidden by the darkness.

I opened the door as silently as I could, I did t want to wake them if they were still asleep. I closed the door behind me. Letting out a sigh of relief when it didn't make any unexpected noises.

I made my way to the front of the church, and as I got closer I noticed Aubrey was I deed still sleeping, she hadn't moved from the bench she sat on yesterday before I left. That must've been comfortable.

Surprisingly, Lukas was already up. He sat on the bench across the aisle from Aubrey, he didn't notice me walk in. He seemed to be deep in thought as he was just sitting there, staring off into nothing. I snuck up close to him as I leaned over the bench.

"Whatcha thinking about?" I asked. He jumped up, surprised by my sudden appearance. I stood up. "Sorry- I didn't mean to scare you." I apologized as I walked around and took a seat next to him. "Then don't sneak up on me. I could've hurt you." He said as he held his heart, clearly still recovering from what just happened.

"You sure, you didn't seem that defensive," I smirked, he took a breath before turning to me. "Well, that's because I knew it was you." He pouted. "Did you now?" I laughed.

He turned his body towards me, as he placed one arm on the backrest behind me. I blushed slightly as he stared at and. "Of course I did, I heard you coming from a mile away." He smirked. I stared at him blankly, not believing him. He looked away, chuckling. "Okay fine-" he admitted. "You startled me."

I let out a laugh as he looked away embarrassed. "I'm sorry." I smiled. It got quiet for a bit before I spoke again. "So... did you get any sleep?" I asked carefully. I'm sure these benches weren't very comfortable.

"Actually, a lot," he said, not believing it himself. "I have slept this well in a while." He smiled. I looked at him confused. "Wow, I did t think this would be very nice to sleep on." I laughed.

He shook his head. "Oh no it was incredibly uncomfortable, we need to get some mattresses out here or something-" he said back. I couldn't help but laugh at that. He smiled at me before continuing.

"I think- it feels safer here," he started, "not only because Aubrey is here, I think it's because I finally don't feel like I need to watch my every move." His smile turned a bit sad as he told his story. "Yes, the house was a lot more comfortable, but I wasn't safe there, at least I did t feel safe. Especially after those guys first showed up. I felt like they could come in any second and finally catch me," he looked towards the floor.

"But now that I'm here, I don't really feel that anymore. Sure, they're still out there looking for us, and we're about to make it more dangerous by hiding someone we're going to free from literal prison, but it still feels like I'll be safe here." He looked back up, locking eyes with me as he finished. "And that's all because of you." He smiled.

Wait for what. "N-no that's-", I stuttered, "I didn't do anything-" I started to feel embarrassed. "Of course you did," he shot back. "I've only made things worse though." I grabbed my legs, pulling them onto the bench, close to my chest. "Because of me, they have poison now,"

"Yeah, but you found an antidote..." he said back. "That's- I don't have anything, I have a vague idea of how to make it, I have no idea if it would even work-" I kelt trying to beat myself down, but Lukas clearly didn't want me to. "At least you're trying." He smiled as he tried to make me look at him. "You're trying so hard to help us, and we did t even ask you to." He smiled. I finally looked up to him, I felt tears starting to form for a while now, but he made them go away slightly.

"I'm so happy I met you." He leaned his head into his shoulder, staring at me. A smile on his face. It stayed quiet for a while, as we sat there just staring at each other. I could feel my face gradually turn red the longer he looked at me until he suddenly broke the silence.

"Can I kiss you?" He asked as he leaned in slightly, I didn't move. My heart beat faster as he asked that, "I- wh- what about Aubrey.." I blurted out as I look at her. "What about her?" He asked, I looked back at him. "She's right there." I smiled embarrassedly. "So what." He shrugged, he got even closer and his hand crept towards my neck. "I do care about her right now." He smirked as he stared at me.

I couldn't look away, I kept staring at him as he waited for my answer, "I-... yeah," I answered, my heart about to burst out of my chest. He smirked as he finally leaned in completely, connecting our lips. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders as he slowly pulled me closer.

I dropped my legs off the bench again as I moved closer as well. He pulled away for a second, bringing the hand up to my chin, tracing his thumb over my lower lip. I stared in his eye, completely falling for him. He smirked and took this opportunity to deepen the kiss. I melted into the kiss as I got even closer to him. He had his arm around my shoulders as his other hand rested on my cheek.

I kissed him back awkwardly, still not having much experience. I felt weird just sitting there, but every part of my body except for my face felt numb, and I could seem to move at all. I felt him smirk right before he pulled back again. We both breathed heavily as we looked at each other some more, I'm sure it must've looked ridiculous. "I like you so much.." he breathed as he placed his hand On my lap. I flinched as he sat up a little. I wanted to say something back but I couldn't get it out.

He chuckled and I could feel he was about to kiss me again, and I couldn't be happier. Suddenly a noise from behind us startled me. Aubrey was waking up. Lukas let go of my shoulders when he realized I was uncomfortable, but I didn't move away like before as he said. I don't care what she thinks.

I ran my hand over my face, trying g to calm my heart and suppress the blush probably covering my face, as we watched Aubrey get up. She looked around tiredly. It's a good thing we were sat across from her since I was once again pretty much in Lukas's lap after all that.

She looked over confused when she realized it was me. "Oh, you're already here?" She asked as she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. "Yeah.." I said, my voice still a little shaky. I sat up straight, turning towards her a bit. I felt Lukas grabbing my hand, squeezing it slightly, making me feel warm inside.