Chapter 30 || Research

Isaac POV*

If mixed correctly it can be used to paralyze or even kill werewolves. When transferred into the bloodstream either directly or by consumption it can damage even the strongest to near death. Harmless to pretty much all other creatures.

I read the page a couple of times, not only the use but also how to make it. If there's poison there must be an antidote. And if there were mom might've put it in her book as well.

I had to find out how to make it, now that my dad has started to teach me I'm pretty confident that I could. I even have a few healing potions on me at all times, even tho I'm not sure they would help against poison.

I sat behind the counter. The store was closed today but dad and I decided to do some inventory. He went over the shelves, counting the potion and other stuff as I wrote it down in his journal.

"Isaac?" He pulled me from my thoughts. I looked up. "Are you listening?" He repeated as he put down the bottles he was holding. "I'm sorry- I wasn't." He laughed as he walked up to the counter. He grabbed his book and wrote down what he just yelled at me.

"What were you doing anyway?" He asked once He was done. "Just looking through mom book. I said as I quickly turned to the next page. He walked around the counter, stopping next to me to look as well.

"I still can believe she made this." He smiled softly. Het traced over the page. "You didn't know?" I asked confused.

"Well I know she wanted tom but I never saw her working on it myself, so I assumed she never finished it." He explained.

He looked through it with me remembering things from the past with every page. He showed me some he helpt create. And some he didn't have any part in at all.

The further we got into the book, the less effort seemed to be put into the drawings, almost as if she was in a hurry to finish the book. My dad's expression got sadder as he looked through them. Eventually, the drawings ended, leaving a good amount of pages blank.

"Guess she didn't get to finish it after all..." I said softly. Dad got up and took his journal. "No, she didn't." He said sadly.

"Let's just finish the store, okay." He smiled as she turned back to the shelves. I nodded and put away the book before helping my dad with the rest of the inventory.

After we had done pretty much everything we realized we had quite a bit to fill. Dad silently put everything back, making it look nice and organized.

I sat back down, glancing over the book sometimes. I still didn't find an antidote.

"Hey, dad.." I asked. "Hm?" he looked over. "How do you... make an antidote?" I wondered. He turned to me completely. "Why do you ask?" He walked up. "No reason, I was just wondering.." I lied. I might be able to make it if I knew what to do.

"Well, you just have to find a substance to counteract the poison." He explained as if I would fully understand what it meant. "Okay- and how do you do that?" I continued.

"Well, for most plants and herbs there are similar ones with the opposite effect, so if you just mixed some of the poison with that plant, you"d be able to counteract the effects of the poison." He explained. I tried to remember his words as much as I could, as I would have to write them down later. "Right- duh." I laughed. "And how would I find the plant..." I kept asking.

"Well I'm sure they're in my book... why do you wanna know anyway? You're not thinking of making one are you?" He asked suspiciously. "N-n. Of course not, why would I want to do that." I lied.

He stared at me for a second before dropping the subject. "I know you're excited about learning how to make potions, but something as powerful as that would be a bad idea." He said. I nodded. "I know."

He nodded as he grabbed some empty bottles, turning towards the door and bringing them to the back. I watched until he disappeared through the door before grabbing my journal and writing down as much as I could remember.

The substance to counter the poison... where would I even start to look for that. I looked around and defended myself when I noticed my dad's personal journal, he must've left it behind.

I reached over and took it quickly browsing through it. Hoping to find something. It took about half the book until I found the right place.

At the top of the page, it said in my dad's handwriting. 'Different poisons and best way to treat/counter them.'

I brought the book over and started to look at the recipe for the poison, comparing them to items on my dad's list. I started to get scared when I realized not all of them could be counters. And some he hadn't found the right plant for yet.

I kept looking, crossing my fingers that he knew about this one. When I finally found it. "Yes," I silently celebrated. Which quickly faded as I heard footsteps coming closer. I quickly copied the name into my book and closed my dad's journal, I put it back where it was before and quickly hid my own and the recipe.

"Ah, there it is" dad walked in and went right up to his journal. "Cant start preparing if I don't know what to make." He laughed. I smiled as I felt my heartbeat in my chest, that was close. He grabbed the book and looked through all 5e numbers.

"We sold quite a lot this month, this might be a new record." He smiled proudly. "Well, that's not all don't forget about all the personal orders." I joined the conversation. Dad smiled happily at the success he had.

It took a while to get to this point, part of the reason why he started was because of his mom. We never found out why she got sick, and after she died dad had been pretty fixed on finding a cure. Along the way, he found so many different cures and medicine that he started to sell. After a while, he gave up on the cure and started making it for the town.

"Right." He closed his book suddenly. A loud clap echoed through the store. "Then let us get to crafting." I got up excitedly, about to go over to the store to lock the door. But I couldn't even go past the counter when suddenly Ava ran inside.

"I WAS RIGHT!" She yelled out of breath. We both looked at her confused. "YOU DOUBTED ME BUT I WAS RIGHT!" she repeated.

"What are you talking about?" I asked confused. "They caught one." She said as she caught her breath. We waited for her, still confused. "Caught what?" I asked.

"They caught the werewolf!"