Chapter 39 || Side-Effects

Isaac POV*

We sat in silence for a good hour. I had expected Marc to ask me all sorts of questions, but he stayed quiet. It took longer to get dark than I thought. What didn't help was the weird feeling that was increasingly harder to ignore. Every part of my body was tingling, and I had no idea why, maybe it had something to do with the rat earlier, it was the first time I'd ever drunk from a live source.

I looked back to my previous spot in the corner, the rat was still there, along with the puddle of blood that had left my leg. I let pit a sigh as I grabbed my knees up to my chest. Marc says across from me, not moving a muscle. This was not how I expected this break out to go.

We waited for a little longer until it was fully dark outside. I looked out the door and decided it was time to go. "Alright, it's time," I said firmly as I sat up. Suddenly a wave of dizziness overtook me, I grabbed the side of the wall as I almost lost my balance.

Marc got up a d walked over to me. "You okay?" He asked as he reached out to me. I nodded and pushed off the wall. "Just a little tired," I said back. We got outside the treehouse and I lifted the ladder back towards the floor. We both climbed down, being extra careful not to make another noise.

As soon as we got down we put the hoods of our cloaks back on and silently made out way toward the church. There were no hunters anywhere close by, as far as we could see, or hear, but as we previously learned that doesn't always mean there's none.

We kept walking silently through the forest, we did run pretty far away from the church. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to go towards the church in the first place, it wasn't just going to be Marc's hiding spot, it was also Aubrey and Lukas's hiding spot. Hopefully, nothing happened to them while we were away.

I could see lights from town shine through the trees. But I could somehow also hear the sounds from town, although that seemed a bit too far away. As we kept walking that sound only got louder than I noticed it came from Marc. I stopped and turned towards shim. "Could you walk a little more silently, what if they hear us?" I whispered. He stopped and turned around to face me. "I am walking silently," he shot back. "Then why does it sound so-"  It was then that I realized the sound didn't stop, even though Marc was no longer walking.

I focused on the sound, which only made it louder. It took me a minute to realize where I was heading, it was his heartbeat. I grabbed my head. How was this possible?

Marc stepped towards me, placing his hand on my shoulder. "You sure you're okay, kid?" He asked again. I shook my head. "I- I'm not sure, I've never felt like this before," I said as I looked back up at him.

Maybe this was because of the poison. Even though I'm not a werewolf it might still have some effect on me. Or maybe the rat didn't heal my leg correctly.

I looked back up to Marc as I tried to think of an explanation. His expression changed as he let go of my shoulder. "What is it?" I asked, getting a little scared. "Y-your eyes.." he said quietly, je looked at me confused. "Wha- what do you mean?" I asked, panicking s little.

"They're, glowing?" He asked. Wait for what! What is going on? Marc stared at me, his expression turned serious. "Is this the first time you drank live blood?" He asked. I looked up confused. "Like the rat earlier?" He added. "I- yeah.." I answered. He nodded understandingly. "That explains it." He smiled. He turned around and walked off, I followed behind him. "Wait- what does that mean?" I asked.

"I'll tell you when we get back to that church." He smiled as he kept walking. After a few meters I took over the lead and we walked back.

After about another ten minutes of walking the church finally appeared. We sped up after checking there were no hunters around. I walked around the back and snuck into the building, Marc following after me.

I let out a long sigh as I finally closed the door behind me. We made it. A little later than I wanted but we made it. I did a little internal victory dance before we moved towards the main part of the building. As the door behind us fell shut I noticed Lukas and Aubrey already on the benches.

"I'm sure he's fine, calm down," Aubrey complained to her brother. Lukas was pacing up and down the aisles. "They were supposed to be here last night- what if something happened." He yelled back. Aubrey let out a long sigh as she leaned back into her seat, that's when she noticed us.

"As I said, they're fine." She smirked as I walked up to her. Lukas turned around, about to continue arguing when he also saw us. His face lids up as he ran toward me.

"You're back!" He yelled as he pulled me into a hug. I felt my face heat up, as my heart beat faster. Not only could I feel mine, but I could also hear and feel his.

Suddenly a new feeling fell over me. As he hugged me, my face got squished into his neck. My body tingled again as his smell filled my nose. I've never smelled anything like this before. As I stayed there my brain fogged up and all I felt now was thirst. I felt my eyes glow more as my fangs forced their way out, my mouth slightly open.

But just before my body could completely take over, I got pulled away. "Okay- that's enough of that," Marc said. I looked up surprised as my mind cleared up a little. "What are you-" Lukas complained as he looked at Marc. "That's dangerous on so many levels." He scolded. I shook my head, trying to get this weird feeling to go away. That's when Lukas looked at me closer.

"Wait are you hurt?" He asked concerned when he saw the hole in my blood-stained pants. I looked down and back at him. "Wh- no I'm fine." I lied, I wasn't fine. He looked at me concerned as I stared back. He must've noticed everything else by now.

The blood was all over my hands and clothes, not only mine, but also the rat's. The blood is probably still around my mouth. And my now exposed fangs. I wasn't sure if my eyes were still 'glowing' like before, but the fact that all the other effects were still lingering made me believe they were.

"Wh- what happened to you?" He asked as he took a step back. I looked over towards Marc, hoping he could help. "Wait you guys don't know about this?" He asked Lukas and Aubrey. "Know what?" Lukas asked me.

I took a breath before telling him the truth, something I should've told him a long time ago. "I'm, part vampire."