Chapter 62 || Distraction

Isaac POV*

I quickly got back inside. I leaned against the door, trying to catch my breath. What did I just do, why did I- I pushed myself off the wall, and went straight to the mirror in the room.

It seemed like, somehow, I was more in control. Even though I don't remember any of it. Looking in the mirror, there was almost no trace of what happened out there. Aside from my eyes, and a small drop of blood on my lips. The cut had already healed, which wasn't surprising

I turn on the faucet and threw some water in my face. I turned off the water and looked at myself. At least the voices were gone...

I took a deep breath as I looked at my eyes, I didn't get a chance to get a good look at them last time, but they really appeared to be glowing, I brought my hand up to my face.

I blinked and looked again, and they were back to their normal green color. Did I do that? It almost felt like I had some control. But that can't-

I looked down into the sink a si tried to process everything, Are these the side effects mom was talking about?

"Hey, are you okay?" Suddenly I heard a knock on the door, He must have followed me after all. "Yeah, I'm fine," I said as I pushed myself off the sink.

"Can I come in?" Lukas asked, "yeah..." I walked back from the door and leaned against the wall. The door opened And Lukas stepped inside.

"Everything alright?" He walked up to me. I nodded silently as I avoided his gaze. "Sorry about that." I sighed as I leaned against the wall. He stopped in front of me. "Why did you run off like that?" He asked.

"I- it's just-" I struggled to find words, "it's complicated." I sighed. "Is this about what we did last time? Did I do s-"

"No, you didn't do anything-" I stopped him. "It's not you, I'm just." He stood in front of me quietly, as he waited for me to find a way to explain.

"It's the side effects..." I admitted, still looking down. "Side effects..? From the blood?" He asked, sounding worried. I nodded. "They're still not gone..?" He asked. I shook my head. I took a deep breath before talking again.

"Ever since that day... I've been hearing this... voice," I started. He looked down at me confused, "what do you mean, voice?" He asked. "It's like, something telling me to do it again..." I sighed. "Do what again?"

"Drink blood..." I said back. He looked at me, almost shocked. "Every time I get close, I just get overwhelmed by, well everything," I added. "So that's why you left..." he said quietly. "It was either that or... you know."

It got quiet for a bit until he suddenly pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arm around him, burying my face into his chest. "Why didn't you just say so earlier." He sighed, and I pulled away to talk, "it was getting better, but after reading the journal..." I explained. "Then let's not read that for now, until you have it fully under control." He smiled pulling me against him. I nodded. "Good idea."

I held back tears as I put my head on his shoulder, looking over I could see my hands, noticing, there was a small trace of blood on them. "Actually-" I started, deciding to tell him what happened.

"Next time you feel like that, tell me, okay?" He said as he pulled away. "Yeah, but-" I laughed. "What would that do.." I asked. "Well, I could help..." he smiled. "How?"

"Well, I could find a way to distract you..." he smirked. "Take your mind off it," I couldn't help but laugh. "And how do you plan to do that," I asked.

He pulled me closer again, and his hand slipped into my shirt. "I can think of a few ways" he whispered into my ears. "W- waif, that's not-" I tried to stop him. "What, you don't like it?" He asked. I felt my face burn bright red as he looked up to meet my eyes. "N-no, I do-" I blushed.

"Well, then why not give it a try." He said again before leaning in even closer. I closed my eyes and soon felt him kiss me. Now that I couldn't hear every beat of his heart anymore, it was certainly a lot more fun.

I kissed him back as I opened my lips slightly, allowing him to deepen the kiss, which he did. I melted into it completely as I let my thoughts fade away.

He pulled me apart happily and looked down at me. " "If you feel the urge just kiss me. Maybe you'll want me instead." He joked. I caught my breath as I tried to avoid his gaze. "So?" He smirked. "I guess it could work." I gave in. He let out a laugh and pulled me in again, but just before he could continue, the door opened.

"Lukas we need your help with- oh for the love of-" I pushed him off me as Aubrey walked in, immediately looking away from us. "For real?' She complained. "Maybe if you had knocked beforehand..." Lukas joked. "Maybe if you used this 'room' of yours." She shot back.

Lukas rolled his eyes, not having anything to say to that, while I stood between them awkwardly. "What did you need?" He asked. "We just need your opinion on something about Marc's plan," she said "but If your busy-" she added, about to walk out the door.

Lukas sighed. "No, it's fine, what is it?" He asked as he walked up to her. "Just something small, come on." She demanded, before walking off back towards Marc.

Lukas turned to me, waiting for me to follow him. "Aren't you coming?" He asked confused. I shook my head. "I should probably head home, my dad is waiting," I said. "Oh right." He remembered. He walked back to me, "but you'll be back tomorrow... right?" He asked.

"You're gonna miss me that much?" I joked. He grabbed my hands, looking at me seriously. "Yes." He said. I smiled as he took a step closer. "Also I don't like leaving you alone after... well." He added. My smile dropped and I looked at our hands. "I'll be fine, don't worry." I tried to reassure him.

"Can't I just come with you?" He suggested. "I don't think my dad will be too happy if you did." I laughed. "I'll be back as soon as I can, promise" he gently squeezed my hand. "Okay," He nodded.

This was a new side of him, but it felt kind of nice to have someone worry about me as he did. I don't think anyone besides my parents felt that way towards me.

"Well, then you better get going." He smiled as he let go of my hand, walking towards the door again. I nodded and followed him.

I made my way to the door as he joined Marc and Aubrey. I stopped for a second before leaving, looking back at them talking.

I looked down at my hand, at the small drops of blood that were still visible. I wiped it away on my pants and looked back at Lukas.

Maybe it's better if he didn't know about that just yet, I don't want to worry him even more than he already does. I closed the door and started making my way back home.