Chapter 28 || Next Step

Isaac POV*

"So, you're werewolves?" After we had gotten back inside we grabbed some old towels and changed into some new clothes. Lukas had kind me some of his, which didn't even fit in the slightest, but it made me happy anyway.

After we had both changed we got back to the living room where Aubrey was still on the couch. "Yeah.." she answered my question. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier," Lukas asked carefully. I shook my head, "I get it, the first time we met we were 'hunting for werewolves' I see how that might've scared you off." I laughed as I sat down next to him.

"Not that your friend was so skilled at making traps." Aubrey butted in, jokingly. "I beg to differ-" I joked back. "It worked well actually, we caught Lukas." I reminded her. "And if you're a werewolf..." I looked at him.

He pouted, he still didn't have anything to argue against it. Aubrey and I had to laugh for a second, but soon the mood got serious again.

"Could you- not tell people about us," Aubrey said as she looked me in the eyes. "What, no of course not," I reassured her. "I know about how people out there think about you- I saw it myself," I said as I gestured towards the window. She nodded. "Yeah, that's not the first time they've come here." She smiled sadly.

"And you said they had poison this time, so they're twice as dangerous," Lukas added, Aubrey looked up shocked. "Wait? What do you mean poison?" Lukas turned to me. "Yeah- they came into our store a couple of days ago, they ordered some herbs I had never heard of before but when I looked them up it said that they could be used to make werewolf poison," I explained.

"You're kidding?" She asked surprised. "No- I read it myself..." she stood up and started walking up and down the room. "This is bad-" she said to herself. "You're telling me that earlier they had deadly weapons on them?!" She said, not believing it herself. "Yeah.. for a second I thought they got you.." Lukas said quietly. Aubrey stopped walking and went up to him. "Don't worry, they won't, not ever. Not again." In the last part, she added a little quieter.

They smiled at each other silently for a bit before Aubrey got up again. "So what are we gonna do now, it's not safe here." She said worriedly. "Where else would we go, we'll just have to be more careful," Lukas said back. She sighed as she shook her head. "I can't believe this."

I stood between them silently as I kept staring at them. Not only was I slightly scared of them, not going to lie. But I was mostly curious, I didn't know anything about werewolves, until a couple of hours ago I didn't even fully believe they existed. Yeah, my dad told me about Marc, but Lukas said they were extinct- wait.

I brought my attention back to Aubrey and Lukas. "Can I- ask you something?" I interrupted them. Both of them looked back at me simultaneously. "Yeah, of course." Lukas smiled. "When last time- you told me werewolves were extinct but-" I stopped when I notched him to look away, Aubrey stared at me, a painful expression on her face. "Yeah well, that's what I thought." He smiled sadly.

Aubrey looked at Lukas. "You told him about what happened, didn't you?" She said softly. Lukas nodded, still not looking at me. "Wait- you mean, the family." I started. "That was us." Aubrey finished for me. Lukas got up and walked towards the window. "I'm sorry- I didn't mean-" Aubrey put her hand on my shoulder. "It's fine. Were fine. Right?" She turned to look at Lukas, he sighed heavily and turned around again. "I am now." He smiled.

We stayed in the living room a while longer, the rain eventually stopped and the room got even more silent, I still had a lot of questions. Like why Aubrey suddenly turned into a giant wolf. And even though they were having a very serious conversation they must've realized what I was thinking about my expression.

"Alright." Lukas eventually said as he turned towards me. "What do you wanna know?" I looked up surprised. "I don't know what you're talking about," I tried. But he saw through me. "You have been staring at us for the past few minutes, you have a lot to ask." He smiled.

"No- I'm fine." I tried again. He looks at me, obviously, not believing me. "Right, you just found out both of us are werewolves, Are you sure you don't have any questions at all?" He smirked. I sighed. "Fine. I do, a lot actually. He laughed before turning his full attention to me. Aubrey took a seat across from us and waited for my questions.

"Well go ahead." They smiled. I got nervous for a second before speaking again. "So... are the stories true?" I stared, "What stories?" Aubrey laughed. "The one where, well you know, you turn into a wolf at the full moon, kinda stories." I felt embarrassed just asking. Aubrey let out a laugh. "Well yeah, kind of?" Lukas answered. "He does-" Aubrey added. I looked at him surprised.

"Yeah well-" he scratched the back of his neck. " but he can't control it yet." Lukas looked at his sister irritated. "What do you mean control?" I asked confused.

"The older we get, and the more we turn, the better we get at controlling it. That's why when Lukas goes out in a full moon, he might- I don't know, go on a rampage." She explained.

"No I won't-" he defended but she shook it off.

"When I go out on a full moon, basically nothing happens s anymore, I can choose when I transform." She continued. "Is that why you could turn into a wolf back there," I asked, referring to what she did before. "Exactly. But I can do more than that" she smirked.

"Let's just- that's enough for now." Lukas stopped her from saying whatever she was gonna say next. I looked back at him. He smiled at me. "Anything else you want to know?" He asked.

I spent the next few hours asking all sorts of questions, and I learned a lot. Even though there wasn't much to learn anymore, besides the turning-into-a-wolf part. The only other 'powers' they seemed to have was that they were really strong and fast. But I had that too.

In the end, I did get the chance to tell him I liked him. Which went well. I had to find a way to thank Ava because she was the one who pretty much forced me to.

After I finished my question I headed home. Lukas walked me home because the hunter kind of freaked him out and he didn't feel safe about me going home alone.

"You didn't have to come back with me," I said as we walked through the wood, a sight that has gotten pretty familiar to me now. I'm sure I could walk home with my eyes closed.

"No, I did. It's dangerous out here now." He defended. "I can take care of myself, thank you very much," I said smugly. "Sure you can." He smirked.

"What- the poison is for werewolves, and last I checked I'm not a werewolf." I laughed. "No, but I'm sure it's not healthy for humans to get an arrow in their leg." He said back, not laughing.

I looked down, right human. I guess that's half right. "Well actually-" I started but just as always, I couldn't even finish my sentence before the clocktower rang, this time even louder than before since we were right next to the village.

"Right on time." I sighed. I keep getting interrupted. The universe must be against me. "See, and nothing happened to you because I was here to protect you." He said proudly. "Yeah sure, that must be it" I laughed.

"Well then- I guess should be heading back." He said as he stood in front of me. I nodded as I looked up at him. "See you later?" He asked. "Yeah," I smiled.

He smiled at me one last time before turning around and returning to the forest. I was about to go into town myself, but my feet seemed to have a different idea. Before I could even stop myself I turned around and went after him. "Wait a sec," I yelled. He stopped and turned around.

I got up close to him, pulling him down and kissing him. I felt him smile as he reached up, grabbed my arm and he leaned into the kiss. I leaned back, my face flushed red. "Okay- bye," I said quickly as I ran home again. Leaving him there alone.