Chapter 49 || Diversion

Lukas POV*

The next morning we left right away after breakfast. I'm not sure why we didn't do this last night, that way we could've gone back today. What were we supposed to do all day? Isaac had gotten a day off again, and joined us.

"So I'll notify the hunters," Aubrey said as she looked at the prison. "Isn't that dangerous! p?! Isacc said back, she looked at him confused. "I mean, didn't you scare them away last time, what if they recognize you?" He explained.

She smiled. "Yeah, but depth didn't see me, they saw my wolf." She said back. He nodded, trying his best to look confident, "right, ok." I put my hand on his shoulder. He tried to calm down slightly. "It's gonna be fine." I tried to reassure him.

We watched as Aubrey turned the corner and made her way to the hunter. Isaac lept staring at them skeptically. "I think we should go there too.." he said suddenly. "Where?" I asked confused. "The church..."

I looked at him surprised. "Why, isn't that the opposite of what we want," I asked. "Well," he started. "You remember the door was locked when we first got there, right?" He asked. I nodded. "And we broke the lock" he continued. "So now they would be able to get in easily. They'll have proof someone was there..." he explained.

"You have a point.." I admitted, why didn't Marc think of that. "So I think we should go there first, and make sure they cant get in." He added. "How do you want to do that?"

"I'm not sure block the doors I guess." He shrugged. I nodded as I agreed. "Yeah, okay. But we should hurry before they leave." I looked at Aubrey and the hunter, they seemed to still be talking.

Isaac grabbed my arm and pulled me away, leading me towards the church. We got there well before anyone else and snuck in through the back of the building to make sure no one could see us, not even accidentally.

"Right so what were you thinking?" I asked again as I looked around, there were windows everywhere, so not a lot of space to hide.

"Block the doors I guess, you don't happen to have a lock on you, do you?" He asked, sounding a little sarcastic. I laughed as I nodded.

"You mean like put one of the ben hes in front of the doors?" I asked. He shook his head. "That would be suspicious, the only way to do that would be to front the inside, giving them more proof someone was here." He walked up to the door. He put his hand on it and turned to me. "So how strong are you?" He smiled.

"I- wait why?" I laughed as I went up to him. "I think we should just hold them shut when they try to get in..." he suggested. "What about the windows.." I looked around, the walls were covered in them.

"Well not only are they stained glass, but they're also really old and dirty, I don't think you can see through them," he said back.

"But what if they can, and they see us..." I asked, a little worried. "Then well hide when we see them at the windows, theres only two of them, I don't think they'll split up that much.

I let out a sigh. "Okay fine, let's try that then." I walked back to him and stood at the door. Now, all we had to do was wait, it can't be long until they arrive.

We sat in silence for a little bit, as we listened carefully for footsteps. But the first thing we heard was the sound of their voices.

"Do you think they'll be here?" One of the men asked. "Well, that woman said she saw something, I'm not sure but it's worth checking it out." The other man responded.

The voices got closer to the door, as we tried our best to stay silent. I felt my heart beat faster with each step they took towards us. That's when they finally got to the door.

"This place seems abandoned." I hear again. "Which would be great for someone on the run" he didn't even know how right he was.

I heard one of the men walk off, probably going towards the windows. I watched them carefully and as soon as I saw a shape appear behind the glass I pushed Isaac behind me, making sure to get down myself.

I watched as I saw the hunter get closer, holding up his hands in an attempt to look inside. "I can't see anything.." he complained. I let out a sigh of relief as I sat back up. "Are you okay?" I turned to Isaac. He nodded, and I noticed he was blushing a little. "Yeah.." he laughed.

"I can't see anything through the glass, I think we should just go in." The man suggested. "Did you see if any windows were broken?" The other man asked him.

"I don't think they were, but I can double-check." He said as he started walking around the church.  "Check if you can find a door or something as well." He added.

"Oh no," Isaac whispered, "I forgot about the other door." He turned to me. Suddenly we heard the man behind us grab the door handle as he tried to come in.

As soon as he turned his hand,e both of us pushed back against the door. We felt him push back but the door wouldn't budge.

The man groaned as he let go. "Guess not this way," he said to himself as he walked away. Isaac quickly got up and ran towards the back. "Wait-" I tried but he was already gone.

I followed him but suddenly the other man stopped at one of the windows. I ducked down behind the benches. Even though it's hard to see outside, I'm sure that running through the hall you'd be visible anyway. I looked through the beaches and waited for him to leave. As soon as he did I moved towards the back room, where Isaac was already trying his best to keep the door shut, leaning against it. But it was clear he was struggling.

I walked up to him, and just before the door opened I reached over and pushed the door shut. I smiled down at him as we both stood there waiting for the men to leave. He blushed brightly, the position we were in was a bit awkward.

Soon the man stopped trying to get in and took a step away. "There's no way anyone in here." He said. "All the doors are shut tight," he sighed.

"Guess that woman was wrong..." the other one agrees. "I mean, I did see those two run away from the church last time." He agreed back.

"And you're just now telling me, now." His partner complained. They argued for a bit before turning around and leaving again. We waited by the door until the voices were completely gone.

I let out a sigh. That was when I remembered the position we were in. I let go of the door and took a step back. "Sorry-" I said awkwardly. He shook his head, face bright red. "No- Thanks... for helping with the door." He smiled, not making eye contact. "Yeah, right," I said back

I took a breath, not knowing what to do next. "Right," he said as he stepped away from the door as well. The mood in the room got weird.

"It's a good thing you thought of going here." I tried to lighten the mood. He just nodded. "If it weren't for your plan they could've gotten in."

"Well Marc's idea was fine too" he smiled. "He just overlooked some things." He added. I let out a laugh. "Well, luckily you didn't."

He smiled awkwardly as it got quiet, "We should probably get back to tell Aubrey, and you know, get marc" I said.

"Yeah, we should," he said back before turning back to the door and heading out, I followed and soon we were walking through the trees, making our way back to town.