Chapter 63 || Dinner

Isaac POV*

I sat across from my dad, but neither of us said anything. This was more awkward than I was expecting. This is what I get for being away this much. We didn't have anything to talk about either, I thought of asking him about what he'd been doing in his study so much.

When I git him that night that was where I found him again. Maybe it was me but I don't remember him being in there so much, then again, I didn't know where he went when I had to run the front of the shop on my own.

I watched as he ate his food. Occasionally I caught him looking up at me, but as soon as I looked back, thinking he was gonna say something, he looked down again.

Eventually, I gave up on waiting and decided to just ask. "So, dad.." I stared, and he finally looked up from his plate. "What is it?" He asked. "Nothing really I just- the silence is killing me." I laughed as I sat up. "Right," he said.

"Well I'm not sure what to talk about.." he admitted. "Heh, yeah I know," I said back. "Well..." I started. "How is the store, still going well.." I felt really weird talking about it but there was nothing else I could think to talk about.

"It's... mostly the same." He answered blankly. "And you.." I said quietly, but he didn't hear me. I'm not sure I wanted to hear his answer anyway.

"What about you?" He asked back. "I'm fine, just- you know," said, not wanting to lie again. "Staying at Ava's" he finished for me, I nodded,

"You sure you're just at Ava's?" He asked. "Yeah?" I said back, a little confused at why he phrased it like that. "And there's no one else?" He asked, looking down at his plate again, "no, Why would there be?" I asked confused. He looked over at me suspiciously. "Nevermind," he shook his head and went back to eating.

"So what do you guys do, then?" He followed up, "well- we just. Hang ou I guess, nothing special." I lied. I didn't think about this.

"At her place?" He continued. "No... we go out too," I said, looking away. "Alright," he sighed as he turned back to his plate, making me feel guilty again.

"Listen, dad, if you want me to stay home you could just say so-" I started, "I know it can't be easy to run this place alone," I looked down.

"Well it would be nice if you did, but I'm not gonna keep you away from your friends," he sighed. "Don't worry about it" he smiled. "Okay.." I smiled back, and we went back to eating.

I was still planning on coming home for dinner, but we needed to do something about the silence. I don't know if I can take that every night.

After dinner I helped him clean up and decided to just go to my room, he was already in his study before I could even suggest anything, so what else was there?

I sat on my bed, staring down at the journal on my lap. I thought about reading again, but I'm not sure I wanted to know what it said. I lost control once already.

I put it on the nightstand, grabbing my legs and bringing them up to my chest. I sighed as I thought back on earlier. What happened with my eyes was... new. It felt like I could control them.

I looked over to the door and got up, heading to the bathroom mirror. I leaned onto the sink and concentrated. As I looked myself in the eyes I could see they were starting to change.

I blinked and what do you know? They were red again. I let out a surprised laugh ad I took a step away from the mirror. "No way," I said to myself bringing my hand up to my face.

Not only did they turn red, but my whole vision also had a red hue to it. I must not have noticed it before.

As I studied them, I started to feel other effects come back. But because no one else was here it was overwhelming. It felt like I could sense everything around me.

I took a deep breath in and suddenly my nose filled with the scent of blood. Confused I walked toward the source of the smell only to discover one of my emergency blood bags in my room.

Something inside me was telling me to drink, but not as bad as last time. My fangs already pushing themselves out.

Reluctantly brought it up to my mouth. It had a tube for me to drink through, but before I could remember I had already bitten through the side.

It felt different. It was cold, and there was no resistance. But it tasted more intense than before. When the bag was empty I threw it in the trashcan next to my bed.

I dropped down into the bed and let everything sink in. Maybe this would be a better way to control my thirst...

But I soon realized it wouldn't be. It wasn't enough, it wasn't the same. I needed more. I needed fresh blood.

I shot up and forced my fangs back up. Closing and opened my eyes until my vision had turned back to normal.

I took a few breaths, holding my head in my hands. I don't. I don't need anything. I should've never bitten into that rat or the rabbit.

I glanced back at the journal. I'm sure she was trying to warn me. If only dad had given it to me earlier. Some of this could've been avoided.

I turned around and tried to fall asleep. But my thoughts kept drifting. And the voices weren't leaving again. I tried my hardest to drown it out. I thought back on what Lukas had said, and his plans on distracting me, and surprisingly thinking of him made me calm down. I eventually got calm enough to fall asleep.