Chapter 7 || Setting Up Traps

??? POV*

The voices grew closer, I quickly closed the door I had just come through, trying to find something to block it with. First I checked if there was any way to see this door from any window, luckily there wasn't. So I pushed some nearby furniture against the door and hid behind another door, making sure there was no way to see me as I listed. The voices come closer.

"Do you see anything?" Lf of the male voices said. "Jack I told you, that thing probably died when it fell from the hill. It's not something you easily survive" the other one said. "I'm just making sure, I didn't see anything at the bottom of that hill. It might not be dead" I heard one of the men try the door, but they couldn't open it since I completely blocked it.

I sat there shaking as they continued to check every door. "Jack, just stop, this house is abandoned with no way in, it's not here." One of the men said. I heard the other one growl as he kicked a stone against the wall. "Fine. But I'm not done looking for it" They kept arguing for a bit longer but as they did they slowly walked away and the house got silent again.

- - - -
Isaac POV*

I sighed as I leaned onto the counter, giving out one cold medicine after the other, so far I tried selling my self-made potion to pretty much every person who came in, but none seemed to want to buy it. I mean I get it, it's new, my first potion, who knows if it worked? But it still kind of hurt that no one was buying.

The store was pretty quiet and slow today, but that changed when Ava decided to storm in, and looking at her it seemed like she wanted to go hunting again. But this time I had promised my dad not to do that anymore.

"Good day Isaac, are you ready for another adventure." She said happily. I looked towards the back to see if my dad was anywhere near before answering. "If this is about that werewolf of yours, I'm not coming with you this time," I said firmly.

"Aw come on, don't be like that. I know last time sucked but today is different. I have studied every part of the forest I could find, there's no way I'll get lost this time" she said proudly. I looked at her confused, "We never got lost, you just kept going and we had to walk back in the rain for an hour."

"Wait we didn't get lost?" She said confused. "Oh guess that was just me then..." she smiled shyly. I looked at her concerned, "Wait don't tell me you went out there alone?" I asked seriously.

"What's the problem, weren't you the one saying there's no such thing as werewolves in the first place?" She smirked. "It's not that I'm concerned about, you could've seriously gotten hurt, or lost, it's a bad idea to go out into the woods alone.." I said sternly.

"Okay, Dad." She said sarcastically "That's why you have to come with me." She smirked, crossing her arms. "Ava, I can't. My dad needs me to work the shop today," I said pointing to the counter I was standing at. "Well, I'm going out there with or without you." She smirked,

"I can't get away today, sorry.. you'll have to find someone else then," I said as I sat down in my chair. She nodded before yelling. "Mr. Bowman. Can your son come out with me today?"

My dad popped his head out from behind the curtains. "Hm? What?" He asked confused. "Well I was wondering if it were okay if Isaac could join me on an adventure," she smirked.

"What kind of adventure?" He asked suspiciously. "Oh just something g I put together around town, a treasure hunt kind of thing" she lied. My dad looked at me. "Has it been busy today?" He asked. I sighed "Not really..."

"Well okay, then it's fine by me." He said before disappearing again. Ava smirked again. "Now grab your stuff, and let's go." I let out another sigh and went upstairs to get my bag.

- - - -

"So why do you think today will be any different from last time?" I sighed as I followed her deeper into the forest. She stopped and turned around, smirking.

"Because this time we'll set up traps." She smiled smugly. I looked at her blankly. "What do you mean, traps?" I asked.

She took off her backpack and pulled out all sorts of stuff. Some rope, nails, and a net. I stared at her in disbelief. "Are you serious?" I laughed. She put the stuff back and put the bag on. "Yeah I am, this time it won't get away," she said confidently as she turned around. "New help me set them up" I let out a sigh before following her.

I helped her set up one of her traps before she continued deeper into the forest. I felt slightly bad for actually putting up a trap. But then again, how big is the chance there's a werewolf in these woods? As my father said, no one has seen one for a long time. Not to mention what Lukas said...

"So how many of these do you plan to put up?" I sighed after we finished another one. "Like.. 15?" She shrugged. I looked at her surprised. "Why would you need so many of them?"

"Well to make sure it can't escape. Duh." She shook her head. "Stop complaining there's only a few left." She turned around and grabbed more material.

"I don't understand why I keep helping you," I said leaning against a tree." She sighed as she turned around. "Because I'm your friend she smiled, one eyebrow raised.

I kept staring at her as I crossed my arms. She took in a breath. "Listen, I know you don't believe there's something out here but what if there was, wouldn't you feel much better if it wasn't just loose around here, what If someone ends up hurt." She explained. I pushed myself off of the tree and walked up to her.

"I would worry about that if I believed something was out here, and I don't," I said back. She frowned at me as she got silent. "You can always go home now. You don't have to help me" she said as she turned around. I could see on her face she felt hurt. And that made me feel bad.

"Hey wait I didn't mean-" Before I could say anything we heard a big yell and a thud. She turned around alerted. We both got silent as we tried to follow in which direction the sound came from.

"Oh my god, one of my traps worked" Ava yelled excitedly as she ran off towards the sound. "Hey wait for me" I ran after her. Still confused if that was what we heard- oh God, I hope we didn't get some innocent person just minding their business.

I continued to follow Ava until we reached one of the traps. She stood there irritated as she looked towards the trap. Only when u looked up, did I notice what was going on.

"Are you kidding me" I laughed.