Chapter 17 || Crush

Isaac POV*

"You what?" she laughed, thinking I was joking, I turned to her, a serious look on my face. At first, she looked shocked, but that soon turned to confusion. "Why?" wait what? "W-What do you mean, why?" I asked, now confused myself. "why do you like him?" She asked again. "I-I don't know, I just do I guess." I thought about it for a second. "I just- I feel safe when I'm with him and I'm really happy when he's around, not to mention-"

"Okay- wait, stop." she interrupted. 'why are you telling me this?" I looked at her unsure, "Because you're my friend?" I said. She let out a sigh, "Shouldn't you be telling him?" she laughed. I froze for a second, "I can't" I said quietly, I felt my face turn red again. The thought of it alone embarrassed me. I should've expected this reaction, maybe it would've. been better if I didn't say anything. "why not?' She continued, leaning onto the kitchen counter. "you never know- what if he feels the same?" she suggested. "But what if he doesn't" I sighed. I leaned onto the wall behind me, crossing my arms. "then you'll stay friends." she shrugged, I looked up at her, "You can't just go back to being friends after that." I sighed.

She stood up and walked over to me. "sure you can- you shouldn't worry so much," she tried to reassure me, "look, I might not be the biggest fan of him, but you are-' she laughed, "and you're my friend, so I support you. I want you to be happy-" she smiled putting her hand on my shoulder, encouraging me. I sighed again, but I felt a bit better. "I still don't know..." I said. "I mean- you don't have to tell him right away-" she thought. "Maybe you could ease into it, ask him to the festival or something..?" She suggested.

"Festival?" I looked up confused. "Yeah, the one they hold every year... Don't tell me you forgot, again.." she signed, sounding slightly disappointed, "o-of course not." I lied. Of course, forgot again, I'm pretty sure I've never remembered. "Sure you didn't," Ava sighed before she pulled me away from the wall and led me towards the door again. "Just go get tickets and ask him out already." she opened the door. "Hey- wait why don't you come with me? You know, moral support" I tried, but she didn't seem to want to go with me. "No, you got this, good luck." And with that she pushed me out the door, leaving me alone again...

Maybe I should take her advice. She did have a point, it shouldn't be so scary, maybe he did feel the same. Not that it would be so bad to stay friends either. I headed home, trying to stay confident about the whole thing. I would have to ask my dad for the money. I don't know if you can afford the tickets myself. I know that I technically work at the shop but I never asked my dad to be paid for it. He offered a while back but we were already struggling with money after Mom passed away, I didn't want to cause more trouble, but maybe I can ask him now. Or at least for a little money so I can buy two tickets..  and ask Lukas to come with me...

I got home but didn't immediately see my dad, I put down my stuff and went to look for him. I found him in his office as usual. "Back so soon?" He asked when he saw me. "Yeah.." I answered walking up to him. "I thought you were going to stay there a little longer." He smiled, turning around in his chair. "It's almost as if you wanted to get rid of me..." I laughed he looked at me slightly shocked. "Oh no it's not that-" he defended "I just thought because she's your best friend you'd stay a while..." he explained. "I get it Dad" I laughed.

He let out a sigh of relief as I leaned onto the desk next to him. "Was the potion okay?" He asked. "Yeah, it was.." it felt awkward, trying to make small talk considering, what I was about to ask. "That's good- I hope it'll finally work." He said.. the last part more to himself than to me.

"So dad... I was wondering" I started, he looked up at me curiously. "You know, the festival is this weekend" I continued. "Is it?" He asked he probably forgot as well. "Yeah, and I was thinking of going.." he kept looking at me, he knew damn well what I was gonna ask him, he was just waiting on me to say it. "I was hoping I could borrow some money to buy tickets..." I finally said, looking away. "Borrow?" He smirked. "Okay, have." I laughed.

He smiled got up and walked over to the other side of the room he turned around and handed me a bag of coins "This should be enough" he smiled. "Thanks," said as I took the bag from him. "Now, you better get going before they sell out." He gestured to the door. "See Dad, now it just sounds like you're trying to get rid of me again." I joked as I walked out the door. I could just catch a glimpse of his face, not offended about smirking this time.

I got back to the front of the shop. Excited to go get the tickets even if I don't tell him this could still be a lot of fun. I grabbed my bag and put the money away. I was about to leave when I heard the bell ring. I'm sorry we're not open yet." I yelled before looking at who it was. "I'm not here to buy anything" I looked up. That voice sounded familiar. It was Aubrey. "Oh hey.." I said unsure. "What are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to see where you lived." She said as she started walking around the store. "I've heard a lot about you from my brother" she added as she looked through the shelves. "He did?" She's been back for a day, and she's already heard a lot about me. Why did that make me so happy?

She kept staring at me suspiciously as I tried to compose myself. "Yeah... anyway, I wanted to see if you were okay, you left so suddenly yesterday." She continued as she walked up to me."w-what do you mean?" I asked. She looked towards me, confused. "Didn't you get hurt last night? I thought I saw blood on your leg..." She explained reaching over the counter to look at it. I hesitantly took a step back. "N-no I didn't, I'm fine." I stuttered. She looked up at me. "Huh, okay, I must've seen it wrong." She muttered.

"So what is this place anyway?" She turned around again. "It's an uh- potion shop, you know, for medicine and... stuff." I left the spelling part out, I wasn't sure if I could trust her yet. She may be Lukas's sister but that didn't mean anything. "Oh, alright." She said simply as she continued to look around.

"Look, " I started as I followed her around with my eyes. "I'm kind of in a hurry and the store is not open yet, so..." I tried to tell her to leave. She turned her head to stare at me then nodded. She didn't look like she wanted to leave, but she did. "Well, maybe I'll see you around" She smiled walking up to the door "Yeah... " I muttered. She waved and disappeared out the door.