Chapter 10 || Exstinct

Isaac POV*

"What do you want to know?" He asked. I turned towards him, a serious look on my face.

"Remember last time. When we were out collecting ingredients.. ?" He nodded. "Well, it's just- you said something, and I haven't been able to figure out what you meant."

He sat up as he looked at me. "You said something about werewolves... " I said carefully. His expression immediately turned serious as well, he turned his gaze towards the floor. "I uh-"

"You said they were extinct.. what did you mean with that?" He ran his hand sobered his face, and let out a long sigh. "They are.." I looked at him confused. "Extinct, I mean".

"But how would you know that?" I asked curiously he sat back up, making eye contact. "Because I saw it. I was there." I waited for him to continue.

"10 years ago..." he smiled sadly. I could feel how serious he was about all this, and there was something that felt... personal about all this. I shook my head "Wait in confused... what?" I said.

He let out a small laugh. "Yeah. It's- well, let me just tell you..." he said.

"10 years ago, I lived in a small village. Not that far from here actually. It was peaceful, people were nice, it was fun. But one night a group of so-called 'werewolf hunters' came to town. Proclaiming they had tracked the last living werewolf family to this town. No one believed them of course, but that didn't stop them. The two men went through every home, to get the thing they came for." He explained.

He had long stopped smiling and it looked drive he was hurting. U listened carefully as he continued

"So one night, I was back home late. And when I arrived these men had found them. There they were in the street. The family he had claimed were werewolves. At first, the town stayed skeptical but they had proof. 

They somehow managed to trigger whatever it was that made them turn. But these people soon had wolf features spread across them. Some of them suddenly grew ears or even tails. Teeth grew larger and sharper. The whole town panicked but these men promised to save them."

He let out a long sigh, holding his head in his hands as he finished the story.

"And right then and there. These men killed them. Without remorse. Without even caring a little. I knew these people, they didn't hurt anyone. They never had and never would, and they just killed them... just like that."

He sat there quietly for a bit, I could see this story hurt a lot. I mean, I'd probably also have bad memories If I had seen something like that.

"I'm so sorry, that awful..." I tried to comfort him. "I-" he sighed again. He took another deep breath and sat up again. "Thank you" he smiled. I smiled back.

"So believe me. They're extinct. Your friend is wasting her time." He said again. "That's not gonna stop her." I laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

He smiled softly as he looked out the window. C"Maybe you should go home... before it gets dark." He smiled. I looked out the window, agreeing. "Are you sure you're okay?" I asked again. He nodded. "I just need some sleep." He yawned.

I got up and grabbed my stuff. "See you soon?" I asked carefully. He let out a soft laugh. "I sure hope so." He leaned back into the couch. I could feel a blush creeping up again as I quickly turned around towards the door. I heard him yell "bye!" Before I left out the door and headed home, on my own this time.

So I went into the forest, following the path that I tried to remember from last time as much as possible. I was still nervous I would take another rating turn and get lost once again. But I didn't. I got home safely

- - - -

"Took you long enough." As soon as I walked through the front door, Ava was waiting for me at the counter. I closed the door and walked up to her. "What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"You know what I mean." She said, crossing her arms. I walked past her towards the stairs, trying to ignore her. "Did you get home on time?" I asked as I walked up to my room.

"Yeah, I did." She got up and followed me. "Did you?" I stopped, letting out a sigh. I turned around, getting irritated. "What does it even have to do with you?" I asked, raising my voice slightly.

She looked at me offended. "Wha- I'm just worried about you!" She defended. I turned around and continued up the stairs.

"I'm fine," I said as I threw my bag onto my desk. "Are you though?" She continued. "Why would I not be," I yelled back. She stood there quietly. I sighed when I realized what she meant.

"Is this still about Lukas?" She looked at me seriously. "Yes." I sat down on my bed, bringing my hands up to my face. "I just don't trust him, Isaac. There's something off about him." She explained, walking up to me,

"Why does everyone keep saying that? I don't know what that even means." I shrugged. "What's this weird vibe you're all getting?"

"Oh come on, he lives in the middle of nowhere. For some reason, he knows the entire forest like it's his backyard. You gotta admit there's something off about all that." She defended. I shook my head.

"Why would it matter where he loves? Maybe his parents just really liked the house." I had no idea why I felt so strongly about defending him. "Yeah- well, have you seen his parents?" She asked. "I met him 4 days ago!" I yelled back.

"Yeah, and you've bearly left his side since then." She looked at me angrily, but I could also see more than that. Did I hurt her?

"Wait-" I started. "Don't tell me you're.. jealous?" She looked over confused. "No it's not that-" she let out a sigh as she sat down next to me. "It's just, the last two days you just disappeared on me, within me knowing where you went. And when I finally got you to hang out with me again, you left me to walk alone again." She sighed again, looking away.

"Listen, I'm sorry I didn't mean-" I tried, she shook her head "No I know, I just- I don't know..." it got quiet as we both calmed down. "What about tomorrow" I suggested. She looked up. "I mean, those traps need to be checked, right?" I tried to cheer her up.

She let out a small laugh. "Yeah right, the best thing they'll catch is a rabbit." She said looking down. "And Lukas," I added quietly. She laughed a little louder. "Yeah, him too." She smiled

It was silent for a little bit until Ava sighed and got up again. "I should head home, I told my parent's I'd be right back." I nodded. I got up and followed her to the door. "Hey, Ava." I stopped her before she walked out. "Again, I'm sorry." She smiled. "It's fine."

"And don't go anywhere tomorrow. I got an idea," I smiled. She laughed again as she nodded. We both said goodbye and I went back upstairs as she went home.