Chapter 43 || Escaped

Isaac POV*

I sat on the benches again as I watched Aubrey and Marc discuss their plans, I still wasn't sure why I had to be here too. Honestly, all I wanted to do was sleep. In a bed this time.

I sighed as I leaned back, folding my legs onto the bench. I looked down and the hole. I needed to change too, not only were my pants ripped but they were also covered in blood. I just wished I could find a way to sneak into the shop without dad noticing.

I kept seeing marc frantically move around as he argued with Aubrey again. I'm not sure if they get along or not. Lukas had gone up to another room to change. I couldn't help but blush as thought back on what happened, it was simultaneously the best and most embarrassing moment of my life.

I let out a sigh as I tried to calm down again. "Isaac- are you still with us?" Suddenly Aubrey pulled me out of my thoughts. "I- no not really." I laughed awkwardly. Marc smiled softly as he turned towards me. "Still tired, huh?" He asked. I nodded slowly as I leaned against the backrest. "Maybe you should just go home for today, get some sleep, maybe a shower." He smirked.

"That would be nice." I laughed, dropping y legs off the bench. "Go on then." He said as he gestured towards the door. "Thanks." I smiled as I got up, making my way towards the door. I looked around carefully, making sure no one was out there to spot me. I did look pretty suspicious.

When I did t see anyone I closed the doors behind me and carefully made my way home. It was pretty quiet in town today, it was a sea day after all. As I passed the prison I noticed there were no guards anymore, guess they won't need them if there are no prisoners. Why do we even have a prison if no one is ever in there?

I walked past it quickly in case there were still some people inside and turned the corner towards the town square. It felt weird walking through the open spot, a few people were sitting outside their homes, or walking their dogs as I made my way to the other side. I got a few suspicious looks but I just smiled at the. And I quickened my pace.

I reached the shop not too long after that, but as I was about to enter I realized I shouldn't take the front door looking the way I did. I turned around and quickly made my way to the back door. I looked through the window and when I didn't see my dad I went inside, being extra careful not to make a noise.

As soon as the door was closed I ran up to the stairs, making my way up as fast, but as silently as I could. I got into my room without my dad noticing. I closed the door behind me. The first thing I did was run up to my closet and change my clothes, throwing the dirty ones under my bed, I won't be needing those anymore.

I quickly washed my face and put on some fresh clothes. I'll shower late, it would be a little weird for me to just appear home and then immediately shower. As soon as I was changed my bedroom door opened. I looked up, noticing my dad in the doorway.

"Oh- when did you get back?" He asked confused, "just now..." I couldn't lie, it would be more suspicious for me to have been up here all night without him knowing.

"I didn't hear you come in.." he added. "Well, I came through the back." I stood up awkwardly as I waited for him to speak again. "Well okay," he straightened his back and turned around. "Go freshen up and come downstairs, I need you in the shop" he commanded as he made his way to the stairs.

As soon as I heard him leave the steps. Let out a long sigh. Thank god he didn't ask anything more. I dropped down onto my bed for a bit, staring up at the ceiling. I could feel myself drifting off to sleep, it's been a minute since I've laid in my bed. I forced myself to get up and made my way to the shower.

I quickly washed up and made my way back downstairs. My dad was already behind the register. I got in as he finished up with a customer. She smiled at me brightly and walked away.

"Ah, there he is," my dad commented as he put the money away. "Now can you take over for me, I have some things to restock." He said as he got up from the seat. I nodded and took his place behind the register.

Dad walked around the counter and grabbed a nearby box, he took it around the room and started to restock some empty shelves. I watched him silently as we waited for the customers again. "So, where have you been..?" He asked, not making eye contact.

I flinched as I sat up. "Uhm, well... I was with Ava..." I lied. He nodded understandingly. "The whole night?" He added. "I- yeah.." I said back, a little confused. He looked over at me for a second before returning to his work. "Good to know."

I looked over at him confused, what does he mean. Don't tell me he thinks we- "wait dad, it's not like that-" but just before I was about to finish my sentence, the bell rang and someone else came in.

My dad turned around to greet her and she soon made her way to me, right after grabbing the potion she was looking for, "ah you restocked them, great." She said to my dad. "Yes, I. Sorry, it took so long, I've been a bit busy lately." He apologized, getting down from his step ladder.

"It's okay Nigel. I have extra at home." She smiled. She came up to me and put it in front of me before handing me the money, I didn't even need to tell her how much it was. I grabbed the money and put it away. "Thanks" I smiled at the woman. She winked and turned back around. She was about to leave the store when she turned back to my das. "Oh by the way did you hear?" She asked. L.hear what?" My dad smiled.

"That werewolf they caught last week. It escaped." I flinched as she said it, I guess the word finally came out. "What?" Dad asked shocked. "Yeah, it got out last night. They tried to go after it but they failed." The pulled the potion closer to her chest. "It's a bit scary to think about, isn't it." She put on a smile.

"Well, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about." My dad tried to reassure her, but she still looked frightened. "I hope you're right," she said before finally leaving the store.

It got quiet again as my dad stood in the room, completely still. I didn't know where to look. It's a good thing no one saw me yesterday...

"Dad- uhm" I tried to get his attention. He shook his head and looked over at me. "Yeah, what is it?"

"Are you okay?" I asked carefully, he nodded and turned back to his stock. "Yeah, I'm fine, just- get back to work..." he got quiet again as he started stocking again, clearly lost in thought.

I decided not to say anything anymore. We spent the day in the shop together, occasionally helping customers, but besides that, we didn't say a word. He clearly had a lot on his mind, and all I could think about is that people now know Marc is out there somewhere.