Chapter 18 || Chased

Isaac POV*

"I did it!" I excitedly held up my self-made potion. I had some help from my dad, of course, but there was no way he would leave me alone with his stuff. "Yeah, you did!" He joined in. "Good job." He said proudly. I looked at the purple-looking liquid, I didn't know what it did but it looked cool and I made it myself. "what does it do?" I asked my dad. "Well- wait a second" He turned around and went to the back, returning a little later with a flower. "Alright," He put the flower in front of me, looking at it a little closer I noticed it was dying. "Try it," my dad gestured to the flower. "Try what?" I asked confused. "Your potion, of course," He laughed. My eyes grew wide as I excitedly grabbed the bottle, I carefully dropped a bit of the potion into the plant's soil. And after just a second... nothing happened.

Did I do something wrong? I looked up to see my dad smiling at me. "It didn't work..." I said disappointed. "Give it some time." He reassured me. I turned back to the flower and soon enough it stood straight up again, blooming brighter than ever "It's a healing potion?!" I exclaimed, surprised I made something so powerful. My dad laughed. I carefully put the bottle down again, breaking this would be not good.

"Well, there you go, your first official potion," my dad said as he sat down. "This is so cool!" I laughed as I admired the bottles some more. "Can I show Ava?" I asked, even though I wanted to show her as well, there was also someone I wanted to show even more than her. I didn't want to lie to my dad, and it's not a complete lie. My dad didn't trust Lukas yet. Didn't want him to know I was going to go back out there. If I did he would not allow it. "Of course, you can." He laughed, I grabbed my bag and made sure the potion was safe and wouldn't break on my way over, said goodbye to my dad, and left.

As I walked through the woods the nerves kept on getting worse. Not only was going to show off my awesome potion-making skills, or at least to start them, I had to ask him to the festival. What may or may not be a date, or at least that's what I wanted it to be. To him, it might just be a fun day out with friends. I tried to stay confident as I kept telling myself it was going to be fine... because it was...

After a while I could see the clearing in front of his house form as I got closer I noticed that both he and Aubrey were outside, I wasn't sure what they were doing, I kept walking towards them both excited and nervous, also a bit confused. I was about to say something when Aubrey suddenly ran over to Lukas, jumping on him and pinning him to the ground. I walked up to them, now even more confused. I watched as Lukas tried to get up from under his sister. Are they fighting?

I got next to them but they still didn't seem to notice me. "I told you'd win," Aubrey smirked. "You just got lucky," Lukas yelled back as he continued. Trying to push her off of him. I stared at them for a couple of seconds before speaking, "What are you doing?" I chuckled, and they both turned to look at me, by their expressions they didn't notice me before.

"Isaac- where did you come from?" Lukas asked surprised. Aubrey looked from me to her brother before she let him go. "I've been walking up for quite a bit now." I chuckled as I watched him get up. "What are you doing here anyway," he asked. "Well, I wanted to show you something but when I got here it looked like you two were fighting." I laughed, looking at Aubrey. "Ok, we weren't fighting-" Lukas defended. "If we were he wouldn't look so good anymore" Aubrey joked. I let out a short laugh. He did look good, but then again- he always does. My mind started to drift again."Isaac?" Lukas pulled me out of my thoughts, I could feel a blush creeping in but I pushed it down. Aubrey almost seemed to notice something as she looked at me confused. "What did you want to show me anyway?" He asked again.

"Oh right-' I reached into my bag but before I could even find the potion, Aubrey stopped me. "Wait- did you hear that?" Seriously? We all got quiet Aubrey and Lukas turned in the same direction. almost like they were hearing something I wasn't. "What are you-" Aubrey stopped me. "We should get inside." She demanded a serious look on her face, Lukas nodded and he pulled me towards the house. He pushed me in, both of them following behind. Aubrey closed the door as they both listened for something. Lukas walked up to the window, kneeling in front of it making sure he wouldn't be seen from outside. He gestured for me to get down next to him. I sat down and followed his gaze out the window, but I didn't see anything. "What going on?" I asked. Aubrey also sat next to us. "I heard something." She repeated. "What did you hear?"

Just as she was about the answer three men appeared from the tree line. She heard them coming from that distance. The men walked into the clearing, seemingly, headed towards the house. "That's them," Aubrey said. I looked over at her confused. "That's the men who chased me out here. They found me" she said to Lukas, sounding concerned. "Chased you?" I asked, I saw Lukas flinch for a second "Yeah, Uhm.. she stole some, well- bread." He said, not making eye contact. Aubrey looked over to him, just as confused as I was, before looking back at the window. "It doesn't matter what happened, they're dangerous." She said again.

I looked out the window at the men, they appeared to be looking for something. But they didn't seem to find anything. One of them tried to come towards the house but another one stopped him. They stayed in the same spot for a while, just talking. I tried to see if I would recognize one of them from town, but they were too far away to make out any details on their faces, and the clothes didn't help me in any way. We all watched quietly until they stopped walking and turned to leave.

"I'm going after them," Aubrey said as she stood up. "Wait what- no you won't" Lukas tried to stop her but she wouldn't listen. "You guys stay here until I'm back, I'll take care of this." She ordered before leaving, closing the door behind her. I could see Lukas thought about going after her, but remembered I was here as well, he let out a frustrated sigh a stood up. "Guess it's just you and me huh?" He smiled. "Y-yeah I guess it is." I blushed.