Chapter 59 || Journal

Isaac POV*

After The sun had started setting, and I was done with my chores, Ava left to go home. I put away everything I had used, there the list away, and went after my dad, to see if dinner was ready.

We sat around the table and quietly ate. Seeing how quiet he was and how far in his own world he appeared to be, it was obvious he was getting used to being alone.

I was going to restart the conversation about my powers, but I wasn't sure how, so instead I stayed quiet until after dinner.

After I had helped him clean up, all while barely talking I had finally built up the courage to say something. So just before he could disappear to his study, I stopped him.

"Wait dad, before you go.." I started. He turned around curiously. "What is it?" he asked. "I- well. It's about what Ava asked earlier..." I held my breath as I waited for his response.

He let out a sigh and looked away. "Yes. The powers." He said, I nodded. "It wasn't- she wasn't the only one wondering that..." I said.

He ran his hands over his face. "I was afraid of this.." he sighed. "Afraid? Of what?" I asked.

He held up his hand, telling me to wait, and went into his study. A little later he emerged with a journal. I watched as he walked up to me and handed me the small book.

"What is this?" I asked as I looked at it closer. It couldn't be one of his, it was way too pink for that, not to mention the flowers decorating the front.

"It's for you." He said, taking a deep breath, I looked at him, waiting for more explanation, he let out a small laugh and walked around me to the couch. "I was supposed to give this to you earlier, I planned to never give it to you, but I might as well... she didn't make it for nothing." He said. I looked at the book, even more, confused now.

"Who did?" I asked as I opened it, inside was my name and the one who made it...

For Isaac,
Love mom.

I traced over the writing as my father continued. "Your mother made this for you before she... When she first became ill" he explained I looked up, turning to my dad. "Why did she-" I started.

My dad stayed quiet for a bit. "She was taking precautions," he smiled sadly. I listened to his story as walked around and took a seat on the couch in front of

"In case she wouldn't get better, she started this journal, to make sure you'll understand everything about yourself, and your powers..." he started, "since you're a vampire- or well, half vampire, there's a lot about you that's special. And I could never be able to understand all of it. But she would since you got your powers from her," he explained.

"So this is..." I looked through the journal, noticing all kinds of, dates, drawings, and lists all in her handwriting. "Everything you need to know, and more," he finished for me.

I looked down at the book, tears threatening to form, but I managed to push them down. "Thanks, dad, but-" I looked up. "Why now?" I asked, "well," he sighed, sitting up, "I was supposed to give it to you the day you turned eighteen, but I thought I had it under control."

"What do you mean?" I asked, "Without giving too many spoilers," he joked, "most of those 'powers' won't work u less you drink blood from... and I hate this phrase... 'live pray'." He explained. "And since I had found a way around that- " he smiled,

"Right-" I agreed. "But I'm sure you'll find useful things in there," he smiled, "powers would've been nice though," I joked. He laughed but quickly got serious again. "Yeah, powers sound fun, but there were a lot of not-so-fun side effects." He added.

"Like what?" I asked, he sighed, "your mother," he started, but changed his mind, "well- everything is in the journal." He smiled, trying to leave the subject.

I looked at the book again, and suddenly felt guilty again. "Listen, dad, I'm really sorry for not being home a lot..." I said again, he smiled as he shifted in his seat. "It's really okay, I get it, I was young once." He laughed. I smiled, looking away.

"I just hope you're having fun." He said as he finally got up. "I am.." I said, avoiding eye contact. "It would just be nice if you came home more." He added as he walked past me, patting my shoulder.

I looked over as he walked to the study. "I will," I said, and planned to, I could come home for dinner. That's not going to ruin our plan. I'll just have to be extra sure no one sees me entering or exiting the church.

I sat on the couch for a while, the fire was still on so I decided to stay by it a little longer. I looked at the journal still in my hands. "Everything I need to know huh? Well, let's see" I said to myself as I opened the journal.

It appeared to be very detailed, she must've put a lot of work into it. Most of the pages were just filled with words, but ever so often there would be an intricate drawing of...well, I wasn't sure.

I fought the urge to cry again and I read through the first paragraph,

Monday, August 1

Dear Isaac, if you're reading this, that means you've turned 18. Congratulations, I'm so proud of you. I hope you had a great day!

But unfortunately, that also means I'm not there to celebrate with you, I'm so sorry about that.

I never thought I'd have to write this journal, but here I am. You're probably very confused, and I don't blame you, but your father wouldn't be able to properly explain to you everything about yourself,

And if I don't make it, which I fear I don't, and I probably didn't or you wouldn't be reading this, there's got to some way for you to find out,

So, let's begin