Dreams

-Sierra's pov-

(This is entering dream state btw)

I sat next to Camilo. There wasn't any physical contact or anything, just each other's company. There wasn't any need to speak, the silence felt peaceful. It would almost feel rude if any of us were to break it.

We were settled on some grass, gazing up at a midnight sky. Accompanied by the peaceful sound of the river flowing. Partnered with the trees rustling from the wind. A tranquil, calm atmosphere, the one thing I'd been longing for, all my life. Not just comfortable silence, that wasn't enough. I truly dreamt of a day where I felt at peace. Forgetting any of my problems. Unfortunately, forgetting such things was near impossible, I'd always considered consequences.

I could feel that the bottom of my dress was soaked in dew residue from the grass, I didn't mind though.

The moonlight gleamed on our faces, the river glowed under it. This was truly my idea of the perfect, serene moment.

It was too good to be true.

Somethings not right.
I thought to myself, nothing has ever turned out this good in my books. That's also what the books I've read have taught me.

The moment was intruded my the furious screeches of both my parents coming from behind us. I turned around in horror, I was terrified of them. Camilo didn't seem bothered though, he continued to stare up at the sky.

My father snatched my arm, dragging my away, without even a chance to get on my feet. I cried out for help, I cried out for Camilo. His figure fading out of sight as I fought back from my father's grasp. He let me go, but before I could get up, mama kicked me.

She kicked me hard, right in the nose.

The pain was indescribable, I could feel my nose shatter as she kicked me in the face again.

Then again.

Before each kick she would say nasty things to me.

"YOU CAN BARELY FOLLOW SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS"

*kick*

"YOUR BROTHER HAS ACCOMPLISHED MORE THEN YOU EVER WILL"

*kick*

As she continued, my entire face fell to a point of a horrible numbness. I couldn't even breathe any more, it felt like my lungs had been torn straight from my chest. Along with my heart, my brain, my nerves, or anything that gave me life.

I gave into the physical torture, figuring I would end up dead. Her toxic words started to pain me as much as her physical abuse did.

"Valerie?"

...

"Val?"

I heard a soft voice whisper, barely audible over my mother's words.

(Leaving dream state lol)

I gasped for air, sitting straight up. I was still in a horrible pain from the dream, emotionally.

I wanted to cry, but I couldn't bring myself to do it any more. It's like I had drained all my tears. I could feel my entire body sweating profusely, I didn't really understand what was happening.

One moment I was in town square...

Wait.

I was in town square, then...
Uh...

I couldn't recall any recent events, the memory of my dream fading away as well.

I decided to just take in where I was at the moment. I was lying, on a bed. Camilo's bed, I think. I glanced around, there were two other people with me.

Wait no... that's one.

No there's two.

Three?

I couldn't even count how many people were with me.

"Valerie?"

The voice turned my attention towards Julieta kneeling next to me.

She held an arepa out for my consumption. I didn't understand why, but since I wasn't able to show basic math skill, I figured I needed it.

I took a large chunk out with my bite, it was Julieta's cooking after all.

The second person in the room was a muscular girl, who I recognised as Luisa.

Before I could even thank Julieta, my attention was turned to the door slamming open, revealing a distressed Camilo.

"I HEARD WHAT HAPPENED! IS SHE OKAY? ARE YOU OKAY?" He screamed, urgently dashing to my side.

I could basically feel his tenseness, radiating off him. His face slowly faded from appalled to slightly taken back watching my grazes and cuts disappear.

"Oh I was so worried!" He said while hugging me, his voice muffled at the end from his sentence while he dug his face in the side of my neck.

"Really? I couldn't tell..." I mumbled sarcastically. He laughed nervously, a little too nervously.

I mouthed a thank you to Julieta before she got the hint, leaving the room with Luisa.

We remained silent for a bit, before I heard faint whimpers coming from him.

"Shhhh..." I tried to sound as comforting as possible, I don't think it worked because he burst into a sobbing mess immediately after.

"I- *sniff* I was j-just so *gulp* worried ab-b-bout you!" He cried. It pained me to hear him like this.

I lifted up the covers before he scrambled under the sheets, pulling close into me. I'd never seen Camilo in such a vulnerable state. I'd never actually seen him cry before? This was such a new concept to me. But I didn't really have a choice other than to go along with it.

I kissed his forehead lightly, I didn't know what else to do.