Roses

"Oh hey! You're Valerie right?" An enthusiastic girl jumped up from her bed and ran over to us. She adjusted her vibrant green glasses, she wore a white top and a long blue skirt. Mini blue, pink, or purple embroidery patterns covering her clothes, I could see references all over it.

"Mhm. Um, Mirabel? Was it?"

"Yep! I heard what happened, it's tragic really. I hope you warm up to our family quickly! You're welcome to hang out with me anytime," she smiled at me, "I'm sure you'll get tired of hanging out with Camilo all the time." She told me, whispering the last part.

"I heard that!" Camilo added with a grumpy expression plastered on his face. Me and Mirabel both laughing at him.
"AnYwAyS, Valerie needs to borrow some clothes from you."

"Oh yes of course! From now on my wardrobe is your wardrobe, take whatever you need." Mirabel grinned at me. Jeez she was rather outgoing to say the least.

"Thank you," I told her. Contiuing to grab a purple top and black knee length skirt out of her closet.

"Oh! Good choice!"

I smiled at her and and thanked her before me and Camilo left the room.
"She's wonderful" I told him.

"She is isn't she..."

"Something wrong?" Genuine concern in my voice.

"We used to be close, best friends."

"What happened?"

"After her, gift ceremony, Abuela tried to separate us. At first we didn't listen, but Abuela eventually convinced 5 year old me that she would 'ruin my performance'. That my cousin just wasn't worth it. I guess 5 year old me was just scared of Abuela." Camilo stared at his feet while we continued back to his room.

"So, if you aren't scared of Abuela anymore... why not hang out with Mirabel again?" It didn't really make sense to me.

"Well, I guess I'm a little worried about Abuela still," more like a lot, I thought.
"And it would probably take another 10 years to apologise to her."

"Hmmm, okay." I guess that was up to him rather than me.

"Heh, I make it sound more tragic then it really is, it probably doesn't even compare to what you've been through." He tried to lighten the mood I suppose, because he smiled while he said that, perhaps pitying me.

"I mean I guess," i told him opening the door to his room.
"Ladies first!" I laughed at him, gesturing for him to enter his room.
He transformed into me while he walked in, rolling his eyes and making weird faces to mock me. Smiling when I started giggling.

He transformed back into himself and asked me to get changed in the bathroom while he gets dressed in his room.
"Sure," I said, walking into his bathroom.

-----------

Once we got down to breakfast, I was formally introduced to his family members, going around the table one by one. Also mentioning their gifts. I tried to remember all of their names and gifts, failing miserably in doing so.

After we everyone helped clean up breakfast (except for Mirabel and Antonio), Isabela came up to me,

"So, I see Camilo has taken an interest in you," smirking as she wiggled her eyebrows up and down at me. I blushed so before she could continue, "it's not like that, he's just being nice. After all it's not like I have anywhere else to go."

She flashed a genuine smile at me.
"Well, whatever it is, I'm glad you two are getting along. Would you like to help me with some chores or are you already accompanying Camilo?"

"Actually I could help you for the day."

And with that I'd spend the next few weeks hanging out with Camilo, or Isa. Sometimes both if they didn't have chores in the afternoon. I even spent a couple nights sleeping over in Isa's room, which I absolutely adored.

But Isabela's room was missing something, it was really just a large space filled with pink, purple, or red roses.

But that was it.

Just roses.

"Hey Isa."

"Hmm?"

"Your gift is really special."

"Thanks, I get that a lot."

"So you can grow all different types of plants and flowers?"

"That's right."

"So... why do you only grow pink roses? I'm sure you have an enormous variety to choose from."

"Well, I guess that's just the only thing people want too see. If they wanted anything else they would've asked to see it already."

"I didn't ask what they wanted. Why don't you grow other flowers."

She sat silently, looking away from me.

"Because what I want isn't important."

Those words hit me deep. Like a knife plummeting into my chest, failing to come out my back. It made me feel like my head, my heart was going to explode if the knife wouldn't leave. I could feel millions of daggers being stabbed into me.

Stabbed.

Stabbed.

Stabbed.

Over. Over. And over again.

Those hideous words had stuck with me all my life.

Nobody.

Nobody had ever asked me for my opinion.

Not up until I met the Madrigals.