Secrets

...

I didn't know how to react. This women had just spoken to Valerie, referring to her as Sierra. 'Valerie' greeting her as her mother.

Who is she really?

I froze I my spot, crouching behind a bush. Had she lied to me? I needed to know more.

"So?" The lady seemed rather grumpy, a neutral yet stern expression that emanated uncomfortable vibes.

"Well... I haven't gotten near their candle yet-" the woman cut her off.

"YOU HAVEN'T?!"

The poor girl flinched at the words.

"I HAVE SENT YOU ON A SIMPLE MISSION TO STEAL A CANDLE AND YOU HAVEN'T STEPPED FOOT NEAR IT!?" she striked 'Valerie' across her face.

The noise rang through my head birds flocking off, it angered me.

Who was this ignorant hag to hit such a wonderful girl!? I was irritated, my first instinct was to jump out and tackle her. But I knew it would blow my cover, so I remained hidden. Still shaken up by it.

"I will re-visit in a week's time. If you aren't done by then I will send in your brother to do it for me. Have I made myself clear!?" Her hideous voice booming through the forest. I hadn't even met her yet i despised her.

"But, they haven't done anything-"

Another slap, leaving an even darker mark on her face.

"I'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU WHY. THAT SHOULD'VE BEEN OUR MIRACLE. IM DOING THIS FOR OUR FAMILY."

"B-but Mama, that was only their Abuela, t-the rest of their family is innocent..." 'Valerie' stuttered at her quiet words, clearly terrified by her supposed mother.

"YOU WILL NOT QUESTION ME. I will disown you if you dare try to disobey my orders." 'Valerie' shuddered at her mother's words.

Disown?

Why?

The woman walked away, leaving Sierra to silently stand in one spot. She stood there for a while, and when her mother was completely out of sight she broke down. The traumatised girl fell to her knees, and started to sob quietly quietly to herself. Her palms covering her face.

I stood watching her, I felt helpless. I wanted to comfort her.

I needed to comfort her.

But unfortunately for me I didn't really have a choice. I couldn't risk her finding out that I knew her secret. She was being forced to steal our miracle. I was dissapointed, yet still rather sorry for her. It wasn't exactly her fault, her parent was threatening to actually disown their own child.

How could you possibly think about disowning your own child?

I waited for a while, drowning in my own thoughts. I remembered that she thought I was still asleep, so I ran back to casita before she caught me out of bed.

I'd been waiting in the bed she'd left me in not too long ago, it took about ten minutes for her to return. She quietly entered, assuming I was asleep. Instead of me resting on her, she cuddled up to me, burying her face into my chest while I wrapped my arms around her. Protectively.
She started to silently cry to herself in my arms, at least this time I was holding on to her.

And I never,

wanted to let go.

I laid patiently, I wasn't going to fall asleep until I knew she was resting herself.
When she finally fell dozed off, I close my eyes and drifting off into a deep slumber of my own.

-------

*click*

...

*click*

I opened my eyes to see papa taking photos at the door, my Mama swooning over me and 'Valerie'. I looked down at 'Valerie', glad she was still in my arms, just like how I left her.

I sighed, thankful that I was still holding onto the girl I adored so much, and annoyed by the continuous clicking sounds coming from the doorway.

"Really papa?"

"We couldn't help ourselves! You two are just the cutest pair I've ever seen!" My Mama nudging papa to continue taking photos.

"Mama!" I whisper shouted, "keep it down, she's still asleep."

"Oh, right right, let's go Felix." She grabbed papa's arm and dragged him away. Casita closed my door behind them.

In my head, I still referred to her as Valerie. Valerie was the kind, sweet, funny girl I knew. Valerie was the one I'd...

Fallen in love with.

I admitted it to myself, there was no doubt she was going to be gone from my life eventually, maybe taking the miracle with her. To be honest, the idea of being deprived Valerie distressed me more than losing my gift for the first time.

-Sierra's pov-

I awoke to the sound of a door being feebly shut. Also finding myself nestled  in Camilo's arms. I glanced up at him, overlooking how our faces lay barely a couple centimetres away. My eyelids felt heavy, so they were only halfway open.

Yet I could still see something in those shapeshifting eyes of him. Yes, they could change colour, but they still held that emotion that Camilo had.

They always did.

I hated admitting that I loved him... I really loved him. But I declined the idea of me and him forming an actual relationship. Besides, I'll try to get the candle, I'll fail, mama will take me home and send my brother in. Simple as that. So I wasn't going to see him again.

Never, ever again.

Deep down I prayed he could just hold me like that for eternity. No responsibilities, no other people, just him and me.

But....

Life is unfair.
I huffed at my own unpleasant thoughts without realising it. Camilo shot a confused look before I rolled off of him.

"You, good?"

"Yep, everything's just fantastic."